Old 02-03-2009, 01:39 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD FB
Los Angeles , California
Brian, that is just the answer I was looking for. thanks for phoning it into your resource...

dave, no worried. tone is often mis-construed on forums. happy trails.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags View Post
I think that I can now settle this 1000/2000 issue.

I just placed a call to Hicklin Distributing in Grimes, Iowa (515-986-9557). I had purchased my 2 Honda 2000's and parallel kit from them over a year ago. They are a major Honda Dealer, and have excellent technicians who have always been able to answer my questions including rejetting for high altitude use. I spoke to Curt who is a nationally certified Honda Generator Tech. I asked him the question about mating a 1000 with a 2000. He told me absolutely not. He said that you would be running solely off the 2000, and that the 1000 would provide no power benefit, and would only be burning gasoline. He said that a 1000 can only be mated to another 1000.

Brian

Old 02-03-2009, 02:50 PM   #16

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
We had a thread on this a year or so ago and it linked to some guys over on the Rv.net (if I remember correctly) that had done it. The trick was in the startup sequence.

A few folks did it and claimed success, a multitude hadn't done it and explained how it wouldn't work.

Where is 2Air's thread sniffing expertise when ya need it?

HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 04:41 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Here are seven threads that discuss parallel gennys
http://www.airforums.com/forums/sear...archid=1315953
AIR #15800

"Wimpy" 1/2 ton 2002 GMC Sierra 4X4 Z-71 Gasser
2000 Safari SS 25'
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 04:53 PM   #18
Certifiable

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiHoAgRV View Post
We had a thread on this a year or so ago and it linked to some guys over on the Rv.net (if I remember correctly) that had done it. The trick was in the startup sequence.

A few folks did it and claimed success, a multitude hadn't done it and explained how it wouldn't work.

Where is 2Air's thread sniffing expertise when ya need it?
The gopher threw out some links at #46 of that thread
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f448...y-38933-4.html
Old 02-03-2009, 11:14 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

Los Angeles , California
interesting. that changes things a bit. Although it looks like rv.net is where i need to go to see how this has been done.
Old 02-03-2009, 11:26 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

Los Angeles , California
for those who are interested in seeing how others have done it with success, this is the thread from rv.net from a month ago.

RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: Honda 1000 & 2000 in parallel?
Old 02-04-2009, 08:59 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Wickenburg , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by malimish View Post
for those who are interested in seeing how others have done it with success, this is the thread from rv.net from a month ago.

RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: Honda 1000 & 2000 in parallel?
Lots of good info here. Thanks, Adios, John
Old 02-04-2009, 10:34 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Malimish, thanks for the link to RV.net. I read all the posts on the link. Now I'm more confused. Some things seem to work, but I'm not sure just how they are linking the generators. Are they using the kit that is sold for linking these generators (which are described as "powered inverters"), or something else? Some posts talk of homemade remedies. Perhaps a Y cord linking them to shore power, or are they just otherwise tying the generators together and plugging only one into shore power? Some say one generator must be started first. Are they connecting them differently and that's why the answers are hard to decipher?

I haven't read the other links on this Forum as by now I am overcharged.

Gene
Old 02-04-2009, 11:01 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Wickenburg , Arizona
Gene, My take for what its worth- Two short heavy gauge extension cord( premade cause then the ends are molded on), cut the female ends off and twist the ends of the wires together following the wire color( black to black), this gives two wires in to one meaning 6 wires have become 3. Like a "Y", attach the 3 wires to a regular 30amp female recepticale.Plug one of the extension cords into thwe 120v outlet on the 2k generater the other into the 120v outlet on the 1k generater. Plug the Airstream into the 30 amp plug and presto. From my reading it does't seem to matter which generater you start first, just that they are both plugged in before you start them.
Adios, John
Old 02-04-2009, 12:23 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Diesel1, thanks for the info. Have you done this yourself? I don't have a 2,000w generator, only a 1,000w. So someone will have to buy me a 2,000w one. So far this has been academic but I've been interested in case I want to buy a 2,000w and run my AC. I bought the 1,000 Honda because it was marked down $100 extra because the instructions and box were missing and I thought I'd never see it that cheap again. At this point, I am beginning to wish I'd bought a 2,000w instead.

More questions:

Why do they sell parallel kits that cost well over $100 (closer to $200 I believe) if you can do this with some heavy duty extension cords? You'd think there would be a cheaper kit, or maybe the "free market" isn't working.

Have you tested the total output? Seems like about 2,400w is necessary to run a 15,000 btu AC if I remember correctly.

I live at 6,837' and frequently am camped over 4,000' and as high as 11,000'—is there a chart available showing how much efficiency is lost at altitude? Suppose you are in Colorado or Utah at 5,000', have 3,000w nominally rated generator(s)—they actually run at something less than that at sea level and something less at altitude, and and while it can easily be 100˚ at 5,000', you may not have enough power to run an A/C.

The Honda instruction says you have to change something (I can't remember exactly what—a part or an adjustment) for altitude. It sounded like a pain since while traveling, you are constantly changing altitude. If I change it for 6,000', it will probably run too lean at 4,000' or 2,000' or somewhere. What do others do with this issue?

Gene
Old 02-04-2009, 12:40 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Wickenburg , Arizona
I have a eu 2000 Honda, I love it ,quiet, sips gas,easy to start. I use mine in Az at alltitudes of about 400 ft (quartzite) to 6000 ft(Williams) The only ajustments I have made are, set choke,turn switch on, pull rope, turn of choke. It takes much longer for me to peck this out than the starting procedure. That is why I love it, no fuss no muss. At some point I want to have the optoin to run my A/C, thus my interest in parralling an eu 1000. If it will work then most of the time I could use the smaller unit.
I am currently working away from home and am camped in a SOB. I am using my Honda for power, and could get by at this time of year in Az with a smaller unit. I wish I was camped in my Airstream but it needs hot water before that happens. Come on down and escape your snow and we can perform some experments.I am sure that with not much effort we could break some thing.
Seariously, from what I have read I intend at some point to purchase an eu 1000.
Adios, John
Old 02-04-2009, 01:52 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel1 View Post
I am sure that with not much effort we could break some thing.
That's what I'm afraid of! When I was much, much younger and fearless, I'd try anything. That gets expensive. That's why I and others are trying to encourage other adventurers to break something in the interests of science.

Next time we go camping, I'm going to have do check voltage at various altitudes. Not sure how to test for total output though—probably test for amps while charging batteries.

Not yet time to go Airstreaming—that's about 2 months away, maybe a little less.

Gene
Old 02-04-2009, 11:26 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

Los Angeles , California
It is a bit overwhelming with all the discussion there but I am encouraged as some others here are.

Not sure how many of you already belong to the EU2000i group on yahoo. There is a good size knowledge base there too.

Honda_EU2000_Generators : Honda_EU2000_Generators

Specifically I am finding a lot of information on homemade parallel kits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
Malimish, thanks for the link to RV.net. I read all the posts on the link. Now I'm more confused. Some things seem to work, but I'm not sure just how they are linking the generators. Are they using the kit that is sold for linking these generators (which are described as "powered inverters"), or something else? Some posts talk of homemade remedies. Perhaps a Y cord linking them to shore power, or are they just otherwise tying the generators together and plugging only one into shore power? Some say one generator must be started first. Are they connecting them differently and that's why the answers are hard to decipher?

I haven't read the other links on this Forum as by now I am overcharged.

Gene

Tags
eu1000i, eu2000i, parallel