Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-05-2012, 11:55 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Parallel Honda eu2000i

Well I bit the bullet and got a eu20001 companion so I could have enough juice to run my AC.

It seems to me Honda could have better designed the patch cord so it was a keyed plug that could not be hooked up backwards, but they didn't. It looks like a temporary afterthought. So there are separate positive and negative leads with the same size jack and a ground line with a blade terminal that you have to unscrew a bracket, insert the blade and tighten the screw.

I think this bracket is also to attach a ground to a metal stake driven into the ground (probably a local code thing). I don't know anyone who has ever done this.

Any reason I can't splice in a bullet connector to the ground line or use some kind of spring clip connector for the ground? Do I even need the ground connection line between the 2 generators?
Old 08-05-2012, 02:31 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Marshall... We have a Companion model as well. I don't see any reason you couldn't modify the connection for the grounds to be something that doesn't have to be screwed on and unscrewed when you're finished. Just as long as the connection is a good one.

You are correct that the two connecting (non-ground) parts of the connector cables could be reversed, and this would not be a good thing. But look closely at the plugs for the other two cables...one is labeled "L" for left and the other is labeled "R" for right. Not the easiest things to see, but they are there.

Did you get an adapter for the twist & turn 30-amp outlet on the Companion to allow you to plug in the male end of your shore power cord?
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 04:14 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Yes, the connection cable also can with a 30 amp adapter.
Old 08-05-2012, 04:50 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumatic View Post
Yes, the connection cable also can with a 30 amp adapter.
Good! Wanted to make sue you didn't get out camping somewhere and THEN realize you needed an adapter...
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
Old 08-05-2012, 05:41 PM   #5
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
I read about the separate wiring on the parallel kits, but couldn't find anything on the ones I have. It was something Camping World had, and the instructions said nothing about making sure one wire or another was in a particular socket. I've run two 2000's paralleled for many hours with no trouble.
Old 08-05-2012, 05:42 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
I recently bought this dual 20amp/30ampRV adapter at a local RV dealer...

It plugs into both of the 20amp sockets on our e2000 Honda genny - you can then plug the RV three prong 30 amp plug directly.

As you can see, it makes for a 'cleaner', more stable adapter for an RV 30 amp plug...

Neat gadget...As I recall, I paid about $9+- for it...

The adapter has the words "Power Maximiser' on the front...

Found one supplier... http://www.rvplus.com/innovative-mak...apter-pm1.html
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	30TTRV dual 20amp RV Adp.jpeg
Views:	533
Size:	14.5 KB
ID:	164905  
Old 08-05-2012, 06:29 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mexray View Post

It plugs into both of the 20amp sockets on our e2000 Honda genny - you can then plug the RV three prong 30 amp plug directly.

As you can see, it makes for a 'cleaner', more stable adapter for an RV 30 amp plug...

Found one supplier... INNOVATIVE MAKETING INC PM1 - Innovative Maketing Inc Power Maximiser 30/15 Adapter PM1 - RV Plus
In house wiring, this works only as long as the two outlets being plugged into are on different circuits (unusual). I don't know how the Honda is wired - it's possible it's 30 amp capacity even though it's only showing a 20 amp socket.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 02:15 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
The adapter above would provide a good mechanical connection for the RV connector on the end of the shore power cable. However, it does nothing to increase the output of a single Honda EU2000i; and one generator won't power the air conditioner reliably.

To run a a standard RV-type air conditioner, you still need two Honda EU2000i's, one of which must be the "Companion" with the RV connector on the front panel. The only exception would be if one of the early parallel inverter modules joined two Honda regular EU2000i's. However, I believe those modules had an RV connector, instead of two 110-volt receptacles.
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 10:20 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
The advantage of the 'Power Maximizer' as I see it is that it uses both sockets, electrically, to connect to the 30 amp RV plug...

Otherwise you have to use a 20 amp - 30 amp adapter that only plugs into one of the genny's 20 amp sockets...

I don't believe there is any other 'claim' for more amperage, etc... Just a more secure connection with the load spread between the two sockets instead of only one...

That's my story and I'm sticking to it... Ha ha
Old 08-06-2012, 07:53 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
The adapter above would provide a good mechanical connection for the RV connector on the end of the shore power cable. However, it does nothing to increase the output of a single Honda EU2000i; ...>snip<...
That's what I was thinking...thanks for posting...otherwise none of us would need two 2000w generators! Wouldn't that be a happy thing? I don't mind the parallel set-up, though...I think it's pretty slick...
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
Old 08-06-2012, 07:58 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2012 23' International
None , Happy
On the wiring harness when you plug it in the Honda just remember RED is right and you don't have to look for the "R".
thomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 08:25 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomp View Post
On the wiring harness when you plug it in the Honda just remember RED is right and you don't have to look for the "R".
I thought they were different colors, but I then was just too dang lazy back the truck backed out of the garage ... then get the generator totes out ... then dig the cables out to look...
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
Old 08-07-2012, 09:16 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomp View Post
That is how we do it ...
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 09:30 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Anybody know what would happen if the wires are crossed? Is there a safety feature such as a fuse? Would you fry both generators? Or what?
Old 08-07-2012, 10:14 AM   #15
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumatic View Post
Anybody know what would happen if the wires are crossed? Is there a safety feature such as a fuse? Would you fry both generators? Or what?
Nothing. They work fine regardless of how they're hooked up.

On the 2000i there is no bonding between ground and "neutral," and as a result the "neutral" and "hot" are interchangeable.

The only way you could possibly run into problems would be if the neutral is bonded to ground in the trailer (which you're not supposed to do and which causes all kinds of problems of its own), then if the parallel wires are backwards, the wrong terminal would be bonded to ground on the duplex outlet on the generator not connected to the trailer. Which, in most cases, doesn't matter anyway.
Old 08-16-2012, 04:35 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2012 23' International
None , Happy
I'm pretty sure it would cause a thermonuclear reaction and earth would implode in a matter of days.
thomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 05:00 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:

Found one supplier... INNOVATIVE MAKETING INC PM1 - Innovative Maketing Inc Power Maximiser 30/15 Adapter PM1 - RV Plus
Quote:
The advantage of the 'Power Maximizer' as I see it is that it uses both sockets, electrically, to connect to the 30 amp RV plug...

Otherwise you have to use a 20 amp - 30 amp adapter that only plugs into one of the genny's 20 amp sockets...

I don't believe there is any other 'claim' for more amperage, etc... Just a more secure connection with the load spread between the two sockets instead of only one...

That's my story and I'm sticking to it... Ha ha
Hi, I bought that same adapter for my Yamaha 2400 and it works great. It connects the two 20 Amp outlets on my generator and makes a solid connection to my trailer's power cord. I like it much better than using my 30 Amp to 20 Amp dog bone.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6198RS.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	243.9 KB
ID:	166010  
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote