Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-10-2007, 12:00 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2002 25' Classic
Oro Valley , Arizona
Only choice location--TV?

With crowded conditions that we have, Is my only choice to haul a generator in my tv?

We miss the air-conditioning at lunch stops....especially in hot weather. It takes at least 8 hours of driving to get to a cooler locale....Mt Lemon doesn't count...no RV park.

Do any Airstream trailers have a generator compartment?

2002 Classic 25'
2003 Expedition EB 5.4L, AWD, AdvanceTrac Class IV hitch pkg. Reese dual cam/Prodigy
Kistler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 12:22 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD
2011 19' International
2007 25' International CCD FB
Pleasant Hill , California
Don't know about generator compartments inside the airstream but what about installing a receiver hitch on the back. You could install a platform then build an insulated box for noise reduction, install fans for ventilation and secure it with a padlock.
BoatBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 12:50 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2002 25' Classic
Oro Valley , Arizona
I'm afraid I will change the balance of my hitch weight, add stress to the roof and frame.

My tv has hanging out the rear already the EnKay mudflaps on an extended bar. Do I dare hang a generator there?

IF I were to do that it probably changes how the Expy steers....

I wish Jackson would build in an air conditioning unit. My old class C hada Genset....it just kinda hung on the driver's side...

If I were to hang a generator, I would like for the oven, stove, arrangement to be changed and the generator to be hung there behind the step...Brenda only wants a cook top

2002 Classic 25'
2003 Expedition EB 5.4L, AWD, AdvanceTrac Class IV hitch pkg. Reese dual cam/Prodigy
Kistler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 05:58 AM   #4
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Some Sovereigns had generators factory installed, but IIRC, they were tiny LP gensets (300 watt?) that would run the Univolt, and a few select 12 volt items. I think some newer "large" Classics also had generators, but I am not sure about wattage on them
Old 06-11-2007, 06:21 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Question Wished I knew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kistler
With crowded conditions that we have, Is my only choice to haul a generator in my tv?

We miss the air-conditioning at lunch stops....especially in hot weather. It takes at least 8 hours of driving to get to a cooler locale....Mt Lemon doesn't count...no RV park.

Do any Airstream trailers have a generator compartment?
Kistler,
Not too many months ago, I saw a photo where the individual hung a platform on the front of the TV using a front rcvr mount to haul his generator. My only concern was the possible interferences with the airflow and, the cooling of the TV's radiator..
I have a Honda 3000 that I need to find a spot for..So, I will be watching your progress..
Just a thought..
ciao
53FC
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 06:26 AM   #6
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
There were a few Airstream trailers made that I saw pics of that had a factory installed genset, but that was back in the 80's I believe. I have not seen any newer Airstream trailers come with one. I have a Yamaha generator and I carry it in the tow vehicle.

Some newer Airstreams have an external generator connection option, but that's about the extent of factory offerings that I know of.

I too have seen some creative mountings of generators. Get as creative as you'd like, just don't mount anything to the rear bumper!
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 06:55 AM   #7
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoatBoy
Don't know about generator compartments inside the airstream but what about installing a receiver hitch on the back. You could install a platform then build an insulated box for noise reduction, install fans for ventilation and secure it with a padlock.
Unless you want to seriuosly damage your trailer, don't mount as much as a bicycle carrier to the back bumper/frame of any Airstream trailer. They are not designed to take any bouncing weight there, and a large gen WILL negatively effect the tongue weight and the stability of the trailer. Rear end sag and cracked frames will be the result.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 08:58 AM   #8
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
There have been some that have mounted Honda or Yamaha generators on the tongue between the LP tanks and the front window of the trailer. They have come up with some really nifty ways to secure them. The only thing is that is where my batteries are mounted and I believe they would have to be relocated. Also, some front bedroom trailers (like mine) have storage compartments located under that window. This should also be taken into consideration if you have that arrangement. Do a search for generators or generator mountings and you might be able to find details about this configuration.

One example is at: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f198...mbi-13142.html

And another is at: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f448...ion-30513.html

These should give you some ideas. For more, do the search and look at the examples or descriptions in the threads that come up.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote