Old 10-22-2002, 06:30 PM   #29
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
"If you have the generator hooked up to the trailer at the same time as shore power, you have to use something called a transfer switch. It disconnects the shore power line when the generator is running so your generator doesn't electrocute some lineman who's working on what he thinks is a dead line. "

us linemen thank you!

john

Old 10-22-2002, 06:47 PM   #30
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
you'll love this!

couple of years ago i went to a dairy farm on a no lights call. the farmer (in his 60's) was running his generator until i got there so he could finish milking.

his generator was a wwII vintage 25kw unit powered by a continental 6 cyl. gas engine, iron flathead.

it was so quiet the he had to tell me it was running, otherwise i would have never known. about the same as a car just off idle. it was running his whole farm and his house.

here is the part that raises hair on the back of my neck to this day. it was a straight 240 V unit, to convert it to 120/240 volt he had it connected to a 25 KVA power pole transformer on the secondary side.

that means that the transformer backfeeds while doing this, he had two bushings with 4160volts exposed where any one could walk up and touch it!

i asked him if he knew this and he said NO. he had this set up for 35 years and never had a second thought about it!

i promptly disconnected the leads inside the transformer for him so he wouldn't have a HUMAN BUG ZAPPER!!!!!!

he thanked me and went back to milking his cows.

john

Old 10-22-2002, 08:13 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
Brouck,
Not sure how this relates to your trailer but a late model 31' is 7200 lbs empty with a GVWR of 8700 lbs. That's 1500 lbs you can move around inside. You also have some flexibility with tongue weight which should be 10-12% or 720-864 lbs when empty to 870 to 1044 lbs when loaded to the max. Let's call it 55 lbs of added weight, and it's really not all the way up to the coupler. Not a big issue with tongue weight, where getting enough can sometimes be a problem.

I'll probably tote mine in the back of the truck and run 'em on the ground cabled to the trailer wheels... halfway between the bedroom and living room. Two of 'em on the tongue would probably cover the battery compartments.

John,
That's one scary story about the farmer!
Old 10-23-2002, 06:32 AM   #32
3 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Eau Claire , Wisconsin
Maurice, that sounds good. You can tell I have a lot to learn. After all, I am from Wisconsin and you know how we handle electricity up here!
Brouck
Old 10-23-2002, 07:04 AM   #33
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
North Charleston , South Carolina
onboard generator

I wanted to point out a thing or two about the generator I spoke of yesterday.

The generator was installed in a very expensive AS and it was certainly a professional job. I am certain that all of the safety concerns had been considered and safety devices were implemented.

There was insulation around the generator from the inside.

The fuel line was tapped into the refrigerator LP line, (since the reefer was right next to the credenza)

To prevent backfeed of electricity onto the service lines, one merely disconnects the trailer from the service connection,(hello).

The exhaust was routed to the skin of the trailer and the exhaust port looked just like the furnace exhaust port. ( someone mentioned concerns of a fire causing device within the skin of the trailer, I believe the furnace and the reefer are both within the AS. Hence the Term "self contained").

This was definitely the best solution that I have seen for an onboard generator. It was very aesthetic and out of site. It required no liquid fuel or mess there of. It had a switch for remote start and it was extremely quite.

A thief would never see it unlike a generator mounted on the toungue or some other place in view. A thief will have a master key, ( Bolt cutters) and he will not take very long to remove a generator.

Respectfully,
Smily

Old 10-23-2002, 08:10 AM   #34
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
Smily-

You are 100% right. It is attention to detail that determines the safety and quality of any installation. Nearly every motorhome and a lot of trailers have a generator, and they are within the interior of the vehicle. Properly sealed and mounted they are no more dangerous than the refrigerator running on propane. Both of these have to be treated as 'outside.' One of the biggest items the installation manual stresses is door and operable windows relative to exhaust. Mounting the generator on the tongue is OK for accessibility, but there has been no mention of where the exhaust will go with an open door or window. That is what I would worry about.

John
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	generator.jpg
Views:	435
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	710  
Old 10-23-2002, 08:25 AM   #35
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
Re: onboard generator

Quote:
Originally posted by smily
I wanted to point out a thing or two about the generator I spoke of yesterday.

To prevent backfeed of electricity onto the service lines, one merely disconnects the trailer from the service connection,(hello).
In most cases, this isn't a problem since you'll disconnect the power cord to plug it into a generator. If you permanently wire a generator into the trailer, with the power cord capable of plugging into shore power, you MUST use a transfer switch. To not do so is both negligent and violation of law.

Quote:
A thief would never see it unlike a generator mounted on the toungue or some other place in view. A thief will have a master key, ( Bolt cutters) and he will not take very long to remove a generator.
We had a relatively new motorhome in for insurance repair back when I worked in RVs. Overnight, the thieves had removed all the appliances, as well as the 7.5kW Onan from its compartment.

If they want it, they'll get it, and they don't care what they destoy in the process (there was a LOT of damage). Sometimes it's better to secure it just enough to stop the snatch and grab, and keep your insurance happy, than to use something like a cable they can't cut with bolt-cutters, and piss 'em off.

I agree a proper installation is just fine. Opening the credenza door and seeing a red generator isn't, IMHO.
Old 10-23-2002, 10:27 AM   #36
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
North Charleston , South Carolina
Alert Alert

Watch out for the camper cops!

I think the camper inspectors sent them............

JUST KIDDING! I couldnt resist.

Negligent maybe but I was not aware of laws concerning electrical generators in campers.

Smily
Old 07-29-2003, 09:13 AM   #37
2 Rivet Member

2004 28' Classic
Kenney , Texas
Interested in paralleling generators

Quote:
Originally posted by RoadKingMoe

A 135 lb Honda EU3,000 (2,800W and 23.3A continous) will definitely power a 13,500 btu air conditioner which needs 20A (check the breaker to your AC).

One 49 lb Honda EU2000 (1,600W and 13.3A continous) cannot, but two of them can be run in parallel for 26.6A.

[snip]
About the parallel generator arrangement: how does that really work? Are there phasing considerations? How do you hook them up - are there OEM cables already made up? With receptacle, etc?

TIA for any further details you can provide.
Old 07-29-2003, 11:34 AM   #38
Rivet Master

2003 25' Safari
Eden Prairie , Minnesota
Yes - Honda makes the paralleling harness, but others have made their own at less cost - search the archives.

The generator's output is rectified to DC then inverted to AC, so the circuitry to keep two generators in-phase is built-in to the inverters.
Old 07-29-2003, 12:46 PM   #39
2 Rivet Member

2004 28' Classic
Kenney , Texas
Quote:
Originally posted by dmac
Yes - Honda makes the paralleling harness, but others have made their own at less cost - search the archives.

The generator's output is rectified to DC then inverted to AC, so the circuitry to keep two generators in-phase is built-in to the inverters.
Thanks. I visited the Mayberry's site, and they have a pretty good intro to the whole area of paralleling outputs from the Honda generators there. I was thinking that folks here were talking about paralleling output from generic generators, and could not see how that would work (in the general case).

At any rate, the Honda solution looks good to me - I like to stay cool in the summer!

BTW - how hard is it to pull start the EU2000? I have bum shoulder and wrist, and yanking on recalcitrant mowers, edgers, generators etc. is one of my least favorite activities...
Old 07-29-2003, 06:31 PM   #40
art
2 Rivet Member

I have one of those 70s trailers with an onan propane generator.It turns over but never started. since I never had a trailer with a generater I didnt miss it .I think it would be nice to have running if it can be safe,and fixable. Never worked on a propane motor .any sugestions or should i just keep her a conversation piece ?