Old 10-22-2002, 09:46 AM   #15
Rivet Master

Dallas , Texas
Brett mentioned that our two 70's model trailers were available with a propane generator as an option. He failed to mention that our owner's manuals also showed the locations designed to hold the generators.

You might want to look through your owner's manual and see what you can find.

Old 10-22-2002, 10:01 AM   #16
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
North Charleston , South Carolina
Retrofitted generator

This past weekend at the WBCCI state rally in SC,
I was privvy to see an Excella that had a generator which was fitted below the credenza.

It was built into the cabinetry with access doors from inside and outside. It was insulated with fiberglass backing board for noise. It had remote switch for start and transfer. It was propane fueled.

It was very small and had the folks not shown it to me, I would have never known that it was there.

I was very impressed.

Smily

Old 10-22-2002, 10:34 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member

Brouck, I recently purchased the Honda EU2000i from Mayberrys. $859 delivered to my door.
http://www.mayberrys.com
Good luck
On The Road, USA
gwsullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2002, 11:07 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
Quote:
Originally posted by bhsl8
Anyway, I think what I am going to do after weighing all the information is to probably not worry about a generator that will allow me to run the AC but just be concerned with the essentials...It looks like the Honda EU2000 is probably my best bet. It sounds as if it is reasonably easy to handle physically and is quiet. If anybody has serious disagreement with that I would love to know about it. Is it possible to purchase these units for significantly less than list price? Thanks again for everyone's help.
Brouck
Everyone I know with the EU2000 is very happy with it. People are astounded at how quiet they are. Plus it gives you an upgrade path by paralleling another one if you ever do decide AC is essential. I've also talked to quite a few who were happy with their purchase from Mayberry's. Hope this helps.
Old 10-22-2002, 11:25 AM   #19
3 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Eau Claire , Wisconsin
Thanks again everyone, this is going to be a real adventure. The credenza mounted unit sounds fascinating Smily. You didn't happen to find out what kind it was did you?
Brouck
Old 10-22-2002, 11:29 AM   #20
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
North Charleston , South Carolina
No brand

Sorry,
I did not get brand but it was red.

It was very small and quiet.

Sorry for lackof attention,
Smily
Old 10-22-2002, 12:49 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Eau Claire , Wisconsin
Red generator

Smily, thanks anyway. I have checked out the Mayberry's web site and the pictures of the Honda generators show them to be red. The EU 2000 is listed as 20 inches by 11.4 inches by 16.7 inches. I suspect that might fit nicely. Could you tell if they used some type of insulation or how they might have dealt with the exhaust issue?
Brouck
Old 10-22-2002, 01:31 PM   #22
hex

Question I dream of Genny with the lite quiet air

A few questions please.

1.)Is a 'genset' the same thing as a 'generator' ?

2.)Do any of your gens have Briggs engines? Tecumsehs? Clintons?

3.)What and where is Mayberrys?

4.)Where and how do you plug into your trailer circuits?

FrankR. once posted that he pluged into an existing wall outlet. i.e. on the trailer side of the panel. I asked what effect this would have on the panel and its breaker system if there was an overload or a short. He removed his posts and did not answer my question. Any thoughts about hooking up in that manner?
(FrankR. was talking about an inverter, but he said that the 'genny' could be done the same way).

5.) If feeding thru wall outlet...What in tarnation would happen if someone inadvertanly pluged in to 'genny' and shore power at same time?

6.) Where is tarnation anyway?
Old 10-22-2002, 01:59 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
Re: Red generator

Quote:
Originally posted by bhsl8
Smily, thanks anyway. I have checked out the Mayberry's web site and the pictures of the Honda generators show them to be red. The EU 2000 is listed as 20 inches by 11.4 inches by 16.7 inches. I suspect that might fit nicely. Could you tell if they used some type of insulation or how they might have dealt with the exhaust issue?
Brouck
Brouck,
I sure wouldn't cut into the side of my trailer to install a generator in the back side of the credenza, much less have to remove it to fuel it (gravity fed)... it would have to be converted to LP fuel. And even if I did, it would be in a fireproof sound-insulated metal box installed in the credenza that was sealed air tight (read CO tight) to the inside of the trailer. You sure wouldn't see the generator inside in the credenza. The seal from the box to the outside of the trailer would have to be flexible so the box wouldn't transmit vibration to the skin and loosen the rivets.

Check between your LP bottles and the trailer. Keep in mind the Honda is narrower at the top where the trailer gets closer to the bottles. I have a useless (since it isn't lockable nor weathertite) toolbox in the A-frame there a 2000 would sit on nicely. And it's right there with the gas bottles if you were considering converting to LP. Problem is, the 120V breaker box and 23' power cord (where you'd want to mount a transfer switch) is at the other end of the trailer. I'd probably just use my current 30A RV extension cord (you DO have one?) and 30A RV female to 30A twist-lock male adapter to get the power cord up to the tongue so it couldn't be plugged into shore power and the generator at the same time, and not need a transfer switch.

I REALLY like the idea of using a 6 gallon outboard motor tank with a generator. like Bob did. I'm not sure if the LP bottle cover would support it's 40lb weight, but as he noted it has to be higher than the generator. Maybe I'd put the gas tank on the tongue and sit the generator on the ground below it.

Just some thoughts...
Old 10-22-2002, 02:41 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
Re: I dream of Genny with the lite quiet air

Quote:
Originally posted by hex
A few questions please.

1.)Is a 'genset' the same thing as a 'generator' ?
Yes.

Quote:
2.)Do any of your gens have Briggs engines? Tecumsehs? Clintons?
Although these are in a lot of generators, they're generally way too loud for campground use.

Quote:
3.)What and where is Mayberrys?
Mayberry's is a power equipment seller who has good mail-order pricing and free shipping. Click the link to find where they are located.

Quote:
4.)Where and how do you plug into your trailer circuits?
The generators have a 30A twist-lock plug. You get an adapter cord that provides a 30A female RV receptacle and plug your trailer power cord into that.

Quote:
FrankR. once posted that he pluged into an existing wall outlet. i.e. on the trailer side of the panel. I asked what effect this would have on the panel and its breaker system if there was an overload or a short. He removed his posts and did not answer my question. Any thoughts about hooking up in that manner?
(FrankR. was talking about an inverter, but he said that the 'genny' could be done the same way).
To plug the generator into a female outlet on the trailer would require the cord have an exposed male plug that would be hot, and dangerous if it ever fell out while the generator was running.

Quote:
5.) If feeding thru wall outlet...What in tarnation would happen if someone inadvertanly pluged in to 'genny' and shore power at same time?
If you have the generator hooked up to the trailer at the same time as shore power, you have to use something called a transfer switch. It disconnects the shore power line when the generator is running so your generator doesn't electrocute some lineman who's working on what he thinks is a dead line.

Quote:
Dunno... are they touring now? Maybe their tour schedule is at their website.
Old 10-22-2002, 04:53 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

I owned a Coleman generator with a Briggs & Stratton 10 hp engine as a backup power source. It worked great but the noise level was horrible. After getting my trailer I decided I would never subject any camper to the unpleasant experience of having to listen to it. I purchased the Supper Quit EX4500 Honda. It is so much quieter than the old Coleman. I was exercising the Honda one afternoon as a neighbor across the street was mowing his lawn. Standing next to my generator I could hear his lawn mower over my generator. The EX4500 has plenty of electrical capacity but it is big and heavy. It works for me because I have a PU and can leave it in the back. I think going the Honda EU2000 route would be better and cheaper even with purchasing 2 units and the connecting cable.

Larry Ruebel
Bismarck ND
Old 10-22-2002, 05:16 PM   #26
hex

Exclamation Life of Gennys little Engine

The reason I asked about Briggs Engines was this.
Last week I was buying some lawn-mower parts at a big small-engine wholesaler in Houston. The owner was telling me that the majority of Briggs engines were not worth overhauling. He said that the consumer lines were considered to be good for only about 400 hours maximum. And that with excellent care and maintenance under median conditions. (minimal dust and reasonable ambient temps and average homeowner per use time i.e. not commercial hour on end use). He said that thru the 1960's the hour maxs were more like 700+ hours on the consumer models.

He said that Briggs had a better model (Commercial) which I think he called their LS or LG line. He said they could be expected to last at least 1400 hours with care, and were worth rebuilding.
How many hours can the hondas and onans be expected to last? And are they practical to rebuild?

I never thought about the noise levels on gennys but am glad yall alerted me to it. Have you noticed folks using the old loud ones in camps?
And is the quiteness factor a big upcharge watt for watt?
Old 10-22-2002, 05:32 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:

Dunno... are they touring now? Maybe their tour schedule is at their website.
Ask Paula

Shari
Old 10-22-2002, 06:01 PM   #28
3 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Eau Claire , Wisconsin
hole size

Maurice, you've got me to thinkin'. Do I want to use a sawsall to make the hole in the side of the AS or should I use tin snips? Actually, your point is well taken. I envisioned something hermetically sealed in a case in such a way that CO would not be a factor with the exhaust perhaps going out through the bottom. I had not considered the the hassle of refueling nor had I considered the problem associated with the vibration and the rivets. Perhaps the site on the A-frame makes some sense but someone earlier mentioned the problem with changing the tongue weight. Is that something that needs to be considered? I suppose the simplest approach would just be to set it down on the ground and let it do its thing to charge the battery. If it weighs less than 50 pounds then I can throw around like a 12 pack.
Brouck