Old 09-10-2012, 06:23 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
This is the first I've noticed this thread. Have you had one of those under your bed before? The B190s have them mounted in a cabinet under the jackknife couch, and I slept there once with it running - major vibrations. I would look for a way to mount it to dampen as much vibration as possible (I'm pretty sure it was mounted without any vibration damping in the B190...at least, it felt that way!).

Also, keep in mind you're adding ~130 lbs behind the wheels, so it may lighten your hitch a bit.

It's a great project and I'd like to hear how it turns out.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 06:51 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
... , ...
Actually it's a done project.

Your estimate of weight, after adding all the components, to include the sound proofing on the fire box, is probably close to actual. We don't have much weight (except the gen) under the bed, and compared to may friends who like to store things like sewing machines under there, I don't think we have have as much there as others (we don't full time).

The lost space was hard to get to, and unused.

The vibration topic has been raised by friends many times. Some think it would add a special "twist" on the romantic side. Really though, it doesn't vibrate as this particular unit is very smooth.

Noise would be another issue with regard to sleeping, but it is very quite: even with my hearing loss of 82 percent in one ear and 80 percent loss in the other I can still easily connunicate with my wife while sitting on the bed.

Tha t said, I have never ran the gen while sleeping, as I think that would be very rude to others around me. In fact I will not run it before 9-10 in the morning or after 7 at night.

I love my install, that it is quiet and does not vibrate the trailer. Neither my wife or I rally notice it running from the front of the trailer.

I know that with it 'permanently' installed it goes where the trailer goes, but that's actually very nice. For example, we were on a three week caravan, where one day we had to wait for a couple hours for our camp spot to become available. We pressed the switch, turning on the gen to microwave some leftovers for lunch without hassle, or mess.

Old 09-10-2012, 07:59 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Sounds good. I was in a situation where the battery was depleted (actually, it was toast) and my only source of power was the generator, so I was basically stuck sleeping on the generator. I didn't sleep well that night, but the camper was also very off-level, and there was the stress of not having power for over a day after an ice storm, so I don't know precisely what caused the poor night of sleep.

It looks great, though!

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote