Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar > Generators & Solar Power
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-03-2018, 10:14 PM   #1
The Bluegrass Express

2000 33' Land Yacht
Mt Pleasant , South Carolina
Send a message via AIM to daveshrader
Onan generator carbrator on my 2000 Landyacht 33 gas RV

Cannot get carb cleaned or rebuilt due to lack of supply worldwide. It is a Marquet Onan gen set.
Has anyone had same problem?
Has anyone solved the problem?
The generator runs but constantly surges. I have tried SeaFoam and did not help.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Dave Shrader
daveshrader@gmail.com
Mt Pleasant, SC
daveshrader@bellsouth.net
daveshrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 11:25 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
Snake oils (and I don't know why SeaFoam has such a wide-spread following for such ills because it is only a light oil in an aerosol surfactant and has no credibility for curing mechanical failures. The only fix for a mechanical/physical failure is a proper, mechanical/physical repair.)
Find a competent shop that will dissassemble, clean, and reassemble your carburetor. A basic gasket kit is all that is likely needed.
Surging caused by carburetors is usually a blockage or corroded passageway, jet, or unloading valve spring. It's more common these days since ethanol gasoline is in use. The ethanol attracts water and corrodes/rusts springs, check-balls, and needles. Physical disassembly, cleaning, and reassembly will likely fix it. The problem with most shops these days is they don't "repair" things....they "replace" things. Find an old-timer repairman. (I've repaired carbs for many years with little more than a gasket-set and carb cleaner. Do you have a datatag on the carb with model and serial info? Your local NAPA store might be able to suprise you with the kit.)
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 07:52 AM   #3
The Bluegrass Express

2000 33' Land Yacht
Mt Pleasant , South Carolina
Send a message via AIM to daveshrader
Cummins Onan Carburetor Part# 1460664 NEW or REBUILT or Rebuild Kit needed

I have been trying for almost a year to find a NEW/REBUILT REPAIR KIT for my 2000 Airstream Land Yacht 33' Gas coach generator.
I have had NO success in finding the carburetor NEW or USED or REBUILT and have not been able to find a REBUILD KIT either.
They are always back ordered for over a year !!!!
This carburetor is for the Marquis style generator.
If anyone has found a source I would greatly appreciate the information so I can contact them.
Thanks
Dave Shrader
Mt. Pleasant, SC
(843) 834-4050
daveshrader@gmail.com
Mt Pleasant, SC
daveshrader@bellsouth.net
daveshrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 07:55 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Have you tried NAPA?
Old 05-04-2018, 11:30 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

Byron Center , Michigan
Onan generator carbrator on my 2000 Landyacht 33 gas RV

Try this - http://www.partsfortechs.com/asapcar...-c-14_104.html I don’t know your specific model to check, but they appear to have carb rebuild kits in stock.
YippieKiYa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 11:56 AM   #6
1973 Dodge Cayo Motovator

Vintage Kin Owner
Dahlonega , Georgia
Try
http://Www.smokstak.com and go to the Onan generator thread
Dave
Outbackga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 01:33 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1985 31' Excella
st. Paul , mn
Not enough detail about generator Make , model & ser. number , to look up .
Again " on getting cleaned or rebuilt " not enough info , who - where etc.
Good answers require , good info .
But an issue is that Onan , now Cummins / Onan , is generally the only place that much of anything was available for Onan generators , at least in the past , have not had much call for a few yrs. now .
Use to be in the repair bis. , and not like the lack of parts for Onan generators - so it is what it is .
More often that not , cleaning does not require any parts , but it does take someone that knows how to rebuild carburetors to do correctly .
85 Excella , 31' , electric brakes , R. twin [ would like it to be a single ] , future upgrades , composting toilet [ replace black water tank with a 2nd fresh ] , solar power , instant hot water heater .
Tow 94 Dodge Ram , 4x4 , Cummins , AT .
JohnTF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 12:05 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1969 29' Ambassador
Post Falls , Idaho
I have a 5000 watt Onan. It came new in a trailer in bought in 2008. I started it when it was new just to see how it worked. I didn't know anything about ethanol at the time and let it sit with gas in it for years. Searched the internet for kits and new carbs. No luck. Most people said that the carb never worked well after rebuilding them and got new carbs. The price had gone up over $100 from around $169 to $269 around 2010.
I found the lower fuel filter (all metal) had a tan skin over the opening. I thought it was completely plugged up, but when I poked at the membrane it was very thin and the fuel filter then let gas flow. My unit had a second filter near the carb that Onan eliminated because they leaked at the connection (big fire danger because it was inside the casing). They created a way to eliminate that filter.
After all my research and not wanting to pay so much for a new carb, I decided to take the fuel line that entered the lower (first) fuel filter and put it in a can of Seafoam and ran the electric starter pump to draw it into the entire system, especially the carburetor. Engines can run on Seafoam. I let the engine sit for months with it soaking in the Seafoam. Finally tried to start it and it fired right up and has run ever since. I recommend running your generator until it runs out of fuel and then do what I did with the Seafoam.
You will never find a rebuild kit and if you did it doesn't fix the carb according to everything people said on the internet from around 2007. They all said rebuilding the carb didn't work. That's why they bought new carbs back when they were much cheaper. I highly recommend that you do this every time your generator sits for an extended period. At least run the gas out of it before it sits idle.
Good luck with yours.
CEDRICWARD is offline   Reply With Quote