Old 08-05-2013, 07:54 AM   #15
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
manakin sabot , Virginia
Phoenix, the green light does not come on when we start the generator, so guess we are getting no output. Will return the generator when we get home. Thanks for your detailed reply!

Old 08-05-2013, 07:56 AM   #16
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
manakin sabot , Virginia
Melody Ranch
We won't leave AS connected to truck. Thanks!

Old 08-05-2013, 10:40 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melody Ranch View Post
Don't leave the truck hooked to the Airstream . Your use of battery power will not only use all the juice from the coach battery, but will also drain the truck battery dead.
It depends on the truck. Newer ones disconnect the charge line when the ignition is off; I confirmed this on mine using a multimeter.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 05:30 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
Maximum output of this model is 16.7 amps (continuous). Do NOT use any appliance (or combination of appliances) that draws over 16.7 amps (e.g., air conditioner, hairdryer, microwave, coffee maker, etc.).
Sorry, this is incorrect, should be
Maximum output of this model is 16.7 amps (surge NOT continuous).
Maximum output 13.3amps (1600watts) continuous.
Old 08-05-2013, 09:52 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
Ah, I stand corrected.

Wazbro your memory is better than mine; guess I should have looked this up, instead of trusting my memory. --Thanks!
Old 08-06-2013, 07:05 AM   #20
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
manakin sabot , Virginia
Here's what we are hoping to use: refrigerator, water pump, one or two led lights, fan. Should we just skip the generator and get solar panels since our needs are so small?
Old 08-06-2013, 07:53 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Since we bought the new Airstream with two factory 53 watt solar panels we now leave our generator at home when traveling. Things are much quieter and one less thing to drag around the country.

But you must learn its limits. You have only one standard battery and limited space on the roof, perhaps another person with this setup can comment?

doug
Old 08-06-2013, 12:46 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

2006 34' Classic S/O
Lakewood , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
Since we bought the new Airstream with two factory 53 watt solar panels we now leave our generator at home when traveling. Things are much quieter and one less thing to drag around the country.

But you must learn its limits. You have only one standard battery and limited space on the roof, perhaps another person with this setup can comment?

doug
My new to me trailer came with the 2x53 watt panels, and I have only used the system while the trailer is in storage lot, and it seems to be keeping the batteries charged okay.

Regards,

Reganzo
Old 08-06-2013, 06:29 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
1991 35' Airstream 350
Jay , Oklahoma
It might be better to use your trailer some more, correct the problems you have had on the first trip, and then decide.

Certainly solar can minimize the need for generators, but it really depends how you end up using your trailer.

It is easy to make blanket statements like " I will never be without hook-ups, so I don't need ......" or "I always boondock, so.......".

Maybe, maybe not.

If the weather is always perfect, you are free to change latitudes to negate the need for heat or air conditioning, you can always get enough sun to charge the batteries, then yes, solar might be all you need.

On the other hand, enough solar panels and batteries to do any more than run the water pump some, read a little each evening, and have a cold refer are a substantial investment.

No generator means no air conditioning, no microwave, limited use of the furnace, very limited television, finding work-arounds for charging your phones and laptops.

If you don’t need or have these items, then no worries.

But if you do……

We have two of the Honda 2000i sets. We always carry at least one of them. Always. We have been limited too many times by not having the option.
We carry only one if there is no chance we will need cooling. Two if we are traveling in the warm months.

In cold weather, the furnace is a huge battery draw. Two deep cycle batteries in good shape and fully charged might make it through a really cold night. They will certainly need a heavy charge in the morning.

So, lots of things to consider. Study it some more, get your current problems worked out, and see how you really use your trailer.

Regards,

JD
jdalrymple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 06:50 PM   #24
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
manakin sabot , Virginia
Good advice.Thanks.
Old 08-06-2013, 07:21 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
The Honda 2000 should be easily capable of running the refrigerator, lighting in trailer, and charging the battery if it is actually functioning as a generator.. Sounds like yours was an expensive fossil-fuel-burning noisemaker... The only things it WON'T do are run Air Conditioner, or run coffee-makers and hair dryers and TV and lighting and refrigerator while it is trying to recharge the battery.. Be aware that when battery is dead, the converter/charger in the trailer is going to divert most of the incoming 110V electricity to try and recharge the battery, leaving fewer amps to run appliances and the refrigerator... Many of us have functional Honda 2000's and are quite comfy boondocking or camping without hookups for a night or two, knowing we can keep batteries up and cook and keep food safe with the generator... We test ours with a simple worklight and if you plug it into generator and it lights, the trailer should be good... You'd need a lot of solar panels to equal that 1600-1650 watts of power...

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 07:45 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
You definitely need to assess how you use electricity in the real world and not in the hypothetical. We all like to think that we are energy conscious and are able to get by on less, but it doesn't always happen that way.

We have factory solar (just one 53w panel on a 19') and during sunny days with normal use (for us ... everybody has their own "normal"), we can go 3 or 4 days without needing to pump up the batteries a bit by firing up a generator. But if there are cloudy days or particularly cold nights that require running the furnace more often, that decreases dramatically and the theoretical 3 or 4 days goes out the window.

We like having solar because it allows us to not be 100% dependent on generators or hookups. But we also like having a set of 2000w generators so that we are not 100% dependent on good weather and availability of hookups. We just got back from a trip to Sequoia and Yosemite...we had both generators with us in case we had to have AC while dry camping (which we didn't) but there was rain a couple of days and a few days that were very smokey and overcast because of a nearby forest fire...and we did need to eventually kick in a single generator. Having both gives us peace of mind that we are ready for whatever comes our way, because you just never know.

By the way, even if you think you are going to have hookups all the time, and plan for it ... that is theoretical, too. Sometimes the electricity gets knocked out, sometime it's overloaded and you don't have good voltage, and sometimes all the hookups sites are taken...we've experienced all three in campgrounds with hookups.

AirForums #21900 . Membership Chair, 4C
Unit #3954
Travel Log: AZBambi...On the Road Again
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote