Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-01-2013, 03:42 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2012 16' Sport
San Bernardino , California
New Yamaha EF2400iSHC-HAFI

Just received my Yamaha 2400 generator a few days ago from US Carb. It is the tri-fuel modified version so was a bit more than the stock version.

I have been debating which model to get and whether to use USCarb, for some time now. So thought I would share my experiences to help anyone else considering one.

US CARB: I have read good and bad about them. The bad mainly being their getting back to people. I didn't hear anything for a few days after ordering, so I called (had to try 2 different numbers) one morning and got right through. Spoke with Jimmy, who told me they had some 2800s in stock but no 2400s and did not know when they would get more. In fact he said they never know, they just get unannounced shipments from Yamaha, apparently. He recommended the 2800, but said he wasn't trying to talk me into anything. It was the model I originally was going to buy, but I decided to wait. The issue for me was the noise, which is louder in the 2800.

A few days later I got an email from them saying that some 2400s came in and they would ship mine in a day or 2. They shipped the next day and it took almost a week to arrive. It arrived on time in the morning. I had read several posts about units being damaged. I found it was well packed and survived even our local UPS aggressive handling. There were holes punched into the box, but the did not reach the unit, which was double boxed and strapped to an osb floorboard. The back panel was slipped out with 2 tabs showing (reports I read complained of broken tabs, but mine were not broken). I was able to pop it back in place with no noticeable damage whatsoever.
Rich of SCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 04:00 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2012 16' Sport
Break in

All my accessories arrived as well; hose, fittings, extra regulator for a propane tank. The unit comes with a spark plug wrench, cord for charging your trailer battery, and documentation from Yamaha and USCarb.

I read everything and set about to do the break in. Adding oil requires that you tip the unit back to pour in the oil, even using a small glass measuring beaker. I added a gallon of unleaded to the tank, which easily goes into the top of the unit.

The unit started on the very first pull! A good sign. As I type this it is purring away outside right now. It has been running about 2 hours, more than enough for the break in, but I plan to burn all the gas before I try the propane hookup.

ONE SMALL ISSUE SO FAR: I use a surge protector from Camping World. When I plugged my AS via the protector into the Yamaha the 120 delay began counting. Every time it reached the 120 second point the Yamaha would surge to handle the extra load and the surge protector would restart the countdown. I tried this several times, but finally had to take off the surge protector and plug directly in, using a 30 amp plug adapter, of course. Power was immediately available to the AS.

I turned on my 11000 btu air conditioner, and several interior lights (none of which are LEDs). I eventually turned the ac to the highest and coldest setting. Also, restarted my refrigeration. So far, so good.

NOISE: Yes, there is noise. In fact when I go to my bedroom window to look out at my setup I can heard the generator inside my house, which is several yards away. You can talk over the noise without a problem, even standing next to it. And it is not an unpleasant pitch. Kind of a low motor-purring sound, like someone mowing their lawn down the block. Still, it is noticeable and may irritate some people who are boondocking and want to enjoy the almost total silence of nature. I am definitely glad I opted for the quieter 2400 vs the 2800.

I will post more as I do more.

Old 05-01-2013, 06:07 PM   #3
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

I also had good luck with US Carb, been running well 5 Seasons now.
Bought the "kit" and did the conversion myself.
Excellent results, the adjustable mixture comes in handy at altitude.

Honda 2000i LPG dual use conversion.....

Bob
Old 05-01-2013, 06:32 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1999 23' Safari
Perrysburg , Ann Arbor
I have a US Carb. Yamaha 2400 also. Very nice and quiet - MUCH quieter than a Yamaha 5600 I also have. One point; rather than using the 12volt outlet to charge coach batteries, you'll make a lot more progress faster by just plugging the trailer into the generator and letting the trailer's converter / charging system do the job.

You're right about the sound; they're not annoying to the user, but to others - perhaps in the next campsite - they can still be a bit annoying. If you like quiet, solar's the answer. Your roof may not have enough real estate, but on mine, a 320 watt system keeps the three coach batteries topped up all the time with NO noise .... I just have to do without AC. In fact, I haven't run the 2400 in three years except to "exercise" it from time to time and to run bigger power tools like a big air compressor running nail guns or impact wrenches.

But I think you'll like your generator, and it will definitely run the AC when it's hot inside! And where you are, and in places like Joshua Tree, you can definitely use some cooling.
AirsDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 11:01 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2012 16' Sport
It jumped up to the 90s today and will get much hotter later. So running the ac is a requirement.

Question: how do you run your unit on propane? Do you connect to your AS tanks or use a separate tank?

I have the extra barbecue connector on my A-frame and hope to run it from there. Am I correct in assuming that the built in regulator on my AS is all I need? I did get an extra one in case I needed to run it off of a separate tank.
Old 05-02-2013, 04:14 AM   #6
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich of SCal View Post
It jumped up to the 90s today and will get much hotter later. So running the ac is a requirement.

Question: how do you run your unit on propane? Do you connect to your AS tanks or use a separate tank?

I have the extra barbecue connector on my A-frame and hope to run it from there. Am I correct in assuming that the built in regulator on my AS is all I need? I did get an extra one in case I needed to run it off of a separate tank.
I use a separate tank.

The conversion requires a low pressure regulator. (on the gen)

The Honda 2000i will run for 18+hrs depending on load.(no AC)

It runs in it's own tent at the back of the trailer. Connecting to the AS tanks would require a much longer supply line, in the back, out of sight, out of temptation.

A quick disconnect on both ends make set-up much easier.

Bob
Old 05-02-2013, 06:07 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1999 23' Safari
Perrysburg , Ann Arbor
I ran mine (back when I used it) from both a separate tank and from the coach's tanks. I actually like running it on gasoline a bit better, as it does seem to have more power. But the tank won't last "all night" and I'm too lazy to get up to refill it ... and a 20 lb. propane tank will run it for several nights. I didn't use coach tanks often, 'cause it's a lot easier for me to haul a couple of 20 lb portables over to the refill station than the 30 lb. trailer tanks. At home, I also had a natural gas quick disconnect added to the back of my house to run my BBQ grill; I can just plug the generator into that for fuel if there's a power outage that lasts long enough and I get tired of running my larger generator. It doesn't seem to run out!

These days, up to about 90F, I just use Fantastic vents and an Endless Breeze fan and can sleep fine with that. And most places (though not all!) get below that at night, which works for me.
AirsDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 07:55 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2012 16' Sport
Good info. Thanks guys!

I put a gallon of gas in it yesterday (I think it holds 1.59). Didn't time it precisely but I guesstimate it ran around 3 hours, give or take. That was with ac full on and several non-led lights. Nice to know it will run several nights on a 20# propane tank. My maiden voyage will be 3 nights on Memorial day. I have 2 20#ers on my AS. I think I will try it like that and see what happens. I anticipate the evenings being cool, as it will be in the mountains nearby.
Old 05-05-2013, 05:42 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2012 16' Sport
at a stand still

I haven't been able to try the propane side yet. Can't find the correct connector to hook up to my quick connect propane outlet on the a-frame. I just put out a cry for help in the propane forum.

The connection hardware I ordered from CarbUSA fits the generator, but the quick connect male is much to large for the female connection on my AS. I bought a smaller one from Camping World, but its too long to fit and lock properly and is too small in diameter on the hose side. Google and forum searches haven't helped, and Home Depot was no help. So I'm dead in the water until I can figure this out.
Old 05-06-2013, 10:36 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2012 16' Sport
moving slowly

OK, I may be back in business, thanks to a common sense question in the other thread http://www.airforums.com/forums/f287...ml#post1295467

I have a 5' long 1/4" hose with fittings in my starter box. When I dug that out I was able to connect it between the AS quick connect and the generator regulator. Now just have to wait for the rain to let up and try it out. I don't know if the narrower hose will work or if I might have to swap out the connector for a 3/8" one. Time will tell.
Old 05-08-2013, 10:44 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2012 16' Sport
first try....fail

OK, yesterday the rain stopped so I made my first try at running on propane. Prepped the non-flare fittings with pipe sealant, quick connected at both ends, purged air line with regulator primer, turned on gas at AS bottle, switch on and pulled rope....NOTHING

I checked for gas flow by igniting my 2 burners in the AS and it was flowing fine there. Tried adjusting the load block adjustment screw, as it appeared to be almost all the way in, not 2 turns out as in the instructions.

The best I could achieve was an almost firing reaction from the motor, but not more one revolution/attempted firing. Didn't smell much gas at first. Some later. It seemed that I would get a single engine cough mostly right after pushing the primer/purge button on the regulator, so I tried that alot.

It finally started getting dark, so I put everything away until today.

I plan on soap-checking for leaks. I don't feel like the flair connections fit that tight, so I may seal those threads as well...there are 2 of them and with the quick disconnect they are permanent connections anyway. Also, I thought I would pull the spark plug and regap to 20 as recommended when mainly running propane (which I intend to do).

Any suggestions are welcome. I'll come back here and post my progress.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1511.jpg
Views:	307
Size:	395.6 KB
ID:	185411  
Old 05-08-2013, 11:16 AM   #12
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Rich,

I had starting gremlins too at first.

I ended up starting on gas, after warm-up on idle, shut off supply, when it starts to stumble, open LPG. Leave the mixture lock nut loose enough so you can unlock by hand to adjust while running. Adjust to the best idle. Tighten lock nut.
Count the exposed threads to get a baseline you can return to. Eventually you will be able to adjust for altitude at will.
There is a bit of a learning curve, but like anything Airstream you'll get the hang of it.

Did you see my emergency shut off tubing in the other thread?
This where it came in handy. I used one of those metal office paper clips to open and close LPG supply when switching.

BTW...whenever I use it on LPG I always start on gas first to refresh the float bowl then switch over.

Bob
Old 05-09-2013, 08:46 AM   #13
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Mine starts fine without gasoline. Do you prime the genny by pressing in the little spring-loaded pin before starting? I hold it for just a second and that seems to be sufficient.

Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 03:11 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2012 16' Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
Rich,

I had starting gremlins too at first.

I ended up starting on gas, after warm-up on idle, shut off supply, when it starts to stumble, open LPG. Leave the mixture lock nut loose enough so you can unlock by hand to adjust while running. Adjust to the best idle. Tighten lock nut.
Count the exposed threads to get a baseline you can return to. Eventually you will be able to adjust for altitude at will.
There is a bit of a learning curve, but like anything Airstream you'll get the hang of it.

Did you see my emergency shut off tubing in the other thread?
This where it came in handy. I used one of those metal office paper clips to open and close LPG supply when switching.

BTW...whenever I use it on LPG I always start on gas first to refresh the float bowl then switch over.

Bob
Good idea. I will try that. I had to put it on hold while I dealt with a house plumbing problem. Never a dull moment.
Old 05-09-2013, 03:12 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2012 16' Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmclemore View Post
Mine starts fine without gasoline. Do you prime the genny by pressing in the little spring-loaded pin before starting? I hold it for just a second and that seems to be sufficient.

Pat
Yes I pushed that many times, in many different ways. Best I could get was an engine cough like it tried to start, but couldn't.
Old 05-09-2013, 03:33 PM   #16
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich of SCal View Post
Yes I pushed that many times, in many different ways. Best I could get was an engine cough like it tried to start, but couldn't.

{"I ended up starting on gas, after warm-up on idle, shut off supply, when it starts to stumble, open LPG. Leave the mixture lock nut loose enough so you can unlock by hand to adjust while running. Adjust to the best idle. Tighten lock nut.
There is a bit of a learning curve, but like anything Airstream you'll get the hang of it."}

Actually it's really only needed when adjusting the mixture for the first time or re-setting for altitude.

I only start on gas to keep it fresh in the carb. Nice to know that if you need it the carb is not all gunked.
Sta-bil in gen gas at all times.

Bob
Old 05-16-2013, 01:07 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2012 16' Sport
Success....finally

OK got back to the propane start project:

First I soap checked all connections and did not find any leaks.

Next I tried starting with just propane. Same result...best I could get was a cough from the engine and had to purge every time to get that. Tried several settings on the block bolt adjust.

Next I started it right up on gas and ran long enough to warm up the engine. Shut off the gas while still running and waited for it to stall. As soon as it did I opened the propane valve at the A-frame connect, but the engine immediately shut down.

Then I tried restarting on propane again. I got a couple of coughs, but no start. I opened the block bolt all the way and began to get more engine coughs...double and triple. So I played with the bolt adjust and the engine started but would not stay on. I keep purging and tweaking the bolt between pulls. After a long while I was able to adjust the bolt quick enough to keep it running. It ran rough...like a multicylinder engine only running on one cylinder (yes, I know it only has one). Eventually it started smoothing out some and I played with the bolt adjust up and down and finally found the sweet spot.

Next the big test...turned on the ac. It would run the fan, but not the compressor..and eventually it wouldn't run anything. I was about to stop and restart, when I simply replugged the trailer plug into the genny and everything worked fine. While the ac was running on high I tweaked the bolt block adjust some more until any variance one direction or the other would cause it to start running rougher. After that it ran nice and smooth and powered the ac with no problem whatsoever.

Now I know that when I go to the mountains over Memorial Day the altitude change is going to make it necessary to readjust. So I put more gas in the generator just in case. I am hoping the tank is sealed enough to be able to carry the 2400 in my jeep on the trip up as I don't have gerry cans on my jeep (more weight I don't need). If necessary I will have to carry it in the AS, but either way is going to be unpleasant if there are gas fumes. This is why I wanted one to run on propane. I didn't realize it would be so touchy.
Old 05-16-2013, 01:12 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2012 16' Sport
next....

Now to figure out the best way to add a heavy duty chain so I can lock it to the a-frame when I am camping. The handles look too easy to unbolt so I am going to have to cut a hole somewhere in the plastic near the generator frame.
Old 05-16-2013, 01:32 PM   #19
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Thumbs up

Rich,

Glad your making progress, it's a 'kinda steep learning curve but you'll reach the plateau soon enough.

I've always felt that the mixture screw should have finer threads to enable more precise adjustments. It takes very little turning to effect a change in running, even tightening the lock nut can change the idle. Does Yamaha have a tachometer available for your generator? It helps a lot in adjusting.

Bob
Old 05-16-2013, 01:49 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2012 16' Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
Rich,

Glad your making progress, it's a 'kinda steep learning curve but you'll reach the plateau soon enough.

I've always felt that the mixture screw should have finer threads to enable more precise adjustments. It takes very little turning to effect a change in running, even tightening the lock nut can change the idle. Does Yamaha have a tachometer available for your generator? It helps a lot in adjusting.

Bob
I agree, finer threads would help some. Yes, USCarb puts a tach on the tri-fuel models they set up and it does come in handy, although the rpms jumped back and forth with some delay so I played with it up and down. But at least it gave me a second reference besides the bolt head position.

I was just happy to get it running consistently on propane. It does run much quieter on propane than gasoline. That may be why some have commented that it runs "stronger" on gas than on propane, but I am not sure that is true. In fact I believe it ran at higher rpms on propane, but much quieter than the lower rpms on gasoline.