Old 07-02-2013, 01:40 PM   #29
4 Rivet Member

2012 16' Sport
San Bernardino , California
As far as a 1/4" hose not being proper for a low pressure system obviously Airstream does not agree with that since all they ship for hooking up to their low pressure system IS a 1/4' hose. I only think it would be a problem if the hose was much longer. So if you want to use a longer hose to be able to put the gen toward the rear of the AS you might have to got 3/8". But the connection at the a-frame is still 1/4" so you might have to tap somewhere else to do that.

Old 07-02-2013, 02:03 PM   #30
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB International
Annapolis , Maryland
I plan on using the Airstream-supplied 1/4" hose and if it works, it works.

I thought about covering the handle bolt heads with epoxy, but that might make it impossible to take apart for service. Plan B is to use a Torx head bolt or security bolt (liked used in public restroom stall dividers) to deter thieves from trying. From another forum, it is actually hard to remove both handles and 5 other bolts to take the sides off to slip the chain. But I want to deter them before they try to take the genny apart.

Old 07-02-2013, 02:15 PM   #31
4 Rivet Member

2012 16' Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by matthorr View Post
I plan on using the Airstream-supplied 1/4" hose and if it works, it works.

I thought about covering the handle bolt heads with epoxy, but that might make it impossible to take apart for service. Plan B is to use a Torx head bolt or security bolt (liked used in public restroom stall dividers) to deter thieves from trying. From another forum, it is actually hard to remove both handles and 5 other bolts to take the sides off to slip the chain. But I want to deter them before they try to take the genny apart.
I used sugru to cover the bolt heads. Its flexible enough that I could dig it out if I had to.
Old 08-16-2013, 09:39 AM   #32
3 Rivet Member

Annapolis , Maryland
I finally bought the tri-fuel Yamaha and all the accessories to hook it up.

First, I bought the NPSK kit (12' hose and regulator) from US Carb. I replaced the POL fitting with an Acme nut to make it easier to hook up to a portable cylinder at home for power outages. On the other end, I put a quick disconnect that matched the one on my trailer.

I then added a 3/4" elbow to the generator's regulator input and attached the 12' hose. On the other end of the hose, I attached a nipple compatible with the QDs on the trailer and bottle regulator.

It now can sit in my pickup bed with the hose coiled on top. I can hook it up to the trailer gas outlet or a 20# cylinder at home without having to use a wrench.

I think AS uses 1/4" Quick Disconnect so the set sold by US Carb may not fit. I didn't use the hose that came with the trailer so I kept it for a grill in the future (now I use the Coleman Roadtrip that I connect to a tee fitting from Camco at one of the 40# cylinders). You will need a few odd pieces to get all of the plumbing to fit together. I used the thicker yellow Teflon tape and was super careful to prevent any pieces from getting inside the piping. It's much nicer than getting pipe dope all over your clothes whenever you touch it.

It took a few tries to adjust the max flow nut, but it starts and runs great. I'm very happy with it all around. It's quiet, runs forever, looks good and just barely a 1 man lift into the truck.

Only lesson learned is to make sure everything else (fridge, water heater) is on gas when running the AC to avoid tripping the overload protection.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130816_103851.png
Views:	110
Size:	583.6 KB
ID:	193299
Old 08-16-2013, 10:04 AM   #33
4 Rivet Member

2012 16' Sport
Very nice, congrats! I am getting ready to take mine camping again soon...labor day. This time I will probably get more use of the a/c than last May.

Did you ever figure out how to secure the unit?
Old 08-17-2013, 04:32 PM   #34
3 Rivet Member

Annapolis , Maryland
I just went to Lowes and found GE Silicone caulk in metallic aluminum. No luck on a bolt with a security / special head, but the hardware guy recommend checking out a local Fastenal store.
Old 05-31-2014, 01:36 PM   #35
4 Rivet Member

2012 16' Sport
still running well

Just came back a few days ago from my 3rd dry camping with my Yamaha 2400 tri fuel generator running on propane. Still working well, even after sitting in my shed since last September. Before I left for the mountains, I cleaned off the dust, checked the oil, and fired it up briefly on gasoline. Ran great. Up in my campsite I started it on propane and used that exclusively for the next 4 days. I only needed it to cook a pizza in my electric convention oven, and to charge the battery. I did run the a/c one time to cool off the AS after returning from jeeping and sight-seeing all day.

I got more comments on how quiet it is. This was a great purchase, and being able to run on propane is indispensable (propane=days, gas=hours). BTW the tiny gas tank is well sealed and I still get no gas fumes inside my jeep while transporting the unit.