Old 05-09-2013, 04:12 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2012 16' Sport
San Bernardino , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmclemore View Post
Mine starts fine without gasoline. Do you prime the genny by pressing in the little spring-loaded pin before starting? I hold it for just a second and that seems to be sufficient.

Pat
Yes I pushed that many times, in many different ways. Best I could get was an engine cough like it tried to start, but couldn't.

Old 05-09-2013, 04:33 PM   #16
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich of SCal View Post
Yes I pushed that many times, in many different ways. Best I could get was an engine cough like it tried to start, but couldn't.

{"I ended up starting on gas, after warm-up on idle, shut off supply, when it starts to stumble, open LPG. Leave the mixture lock nut loose enough so you can unlock by hand to adjust while running. Adjust to the best idle. Tighten lock nut.
Count the exposed threads to get a baseline you can return to. Eventually you will be able to adjust for altitude at will.
There is a bit of a learning curve, but like anything Airstream you'll get the hang of it."}

Actually it's really only needed when adjusting the mixture for the first time or re-setting for altitude.

I only start on gas to keep it fresh in the carb. Nice to know that if you need it the carb is not all gunked.
Sta-bil in gen gas at all times.

Bob

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 02:07 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2012 16' Sport
Success....finally

OK got back to the propane start project:

First I soap checked all connections and did not find any leaks.

Next I tried starting with just propane. Same result...best I could get was a cough from the engine and had to purge every time to get that. Tried several settings on the block bolt adjust.

Next I started it right up on gas and ran long enough to warm up the engine. Shut off the gas while still running and waited for it to stall. As soon as it did I opened the propane valve at the A-frame connect, but the engine immediately shut down.

Then I tried restarting on propane again. I got a couple of coughs, but no start. I opened the block bolt all the way and began to get more engine coughs...double and triple. So I played with the bolt adjust and the engine started but would not stay on. I keep purging and tweaking the bolt between pulls. After a long while I was able to adjust the bolt quick enough to keep it running. It ran rough...like a multicylinder engine only running on one cylinder (yes, I know it only has one). Eventually it started smoothing out some and I played with the bolt adjust up and down and finally found the sweet spot.

Next the big test...turned on the ac. It would run the fan, but not the compressor..and eventually it wouldn't run anything. I was about to stop and restart, when I simply replugged the trailer plug into the genny and everything worked fine. While the ac was running on high I tweaked the bolt block adjust some more until any variance one direction or the other would cause it to start running rougher. After that it ran nice and smooth and powered the ac with no problem whatsoever.

Now I know that when I go to the mountains over Memorial Day the altitude change is going to make it necessary to readjust. So I put more gas in the generator just in case. I am hoping the tank is sealed enough to be able to carry the 2400 in my jeep on the trip up as I don't have gerry cans on my jeep (more weight I don't need). If necessary I will have to carry it in the AS, but either way is going to be unpleasant if there are gas fumes. This is why I wanted one to run on propane. I didn't realize it would be so touchy.
Old 05-16-2013, 02:12 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2012 16' Sport
next....

Now to figure out the best way to add a heavy duty chain so I can lock it to the a-frame when I am camping. The handles look too easy to unbolt so I am going to have to cut a hole somewhere in the plastic near the generator frame.
Old 05-16-2013, 02:32 PM   #19
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up

Rich,

Glad your making progress, it's a 'kinda steep learning curve but you'll reach the plateau soon enough.

I've always felt that the mixture screw should have finer threads to enable more precise adjustments. It takes very little turning to effect a change in running, even tightening the lock nut can change the idle. Does Yamaha have a tachometer available for your generator? It helps a lot in adjusting.

Bob

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 02:49 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2012 16' Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
Rich,

Glad your making progress, it's a 'kinda steep learning curve but you'll reach the plateau soon enough.

I've always felt that the mixture screw should have finer threads to enable more precise adjustments. It takes very little turning to effect a change in running, even tightening the lock nut can change the idle. Does Yamaha have a tachometer available for your generator? It helps a lot in adjusting.

Bob
I agree, finer threads would help some. Yes, USCarb puts a tach on the tri-fuel models they set up and it does come in handy, although the rpms jumped back and forth with some delay so I played with it up and down. But at least it gave me a second reference besides the bolt head position.

I was just happy to get it running consistently on propane. It does run much quieter on propane than gasoline. That may be why some have commented that it runs "stronger" on gas than on propane, but I am not sure that is true. In fact I believe it ran at higher rpms on propane, but much quieter than the lower rpms on gasoline.
Old 05-16-2013, 03:24 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1999 23' Safari
Perrysburg , Ann Arbor
You'll get it figured out. Like others have commented, I always have started mine on gasoline for a little warm-up and to flush out the gas line and carb float bowl, etc. Then it seems to run fine and smoothly on propane.

If you have the genset inside your Jeep, I think you will not find much gasoline smell, provided that you ran the fuel line, carb, etc. dry when you shut it down, by using the fuel shutoff. Some on the Forums have bought e.g. Action Packer type boxes in which to store theirs, but I doubt this is really necessary.

Securing it is an issue. There are several threads on this topic, and several solutions. "Just a chain" or cable doesn't seem to work too well for these "carryable" units, and as you note, the handles are easily removable. Good luck.
Old 05-16-2013, 04:28 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

2012 16' Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirsDream View Post
You'll get it figured out. Like others have commented, I always have started mine on gasoline for a little warm-up and to flush out the gas line and carb float bowl, etc. Then it seems to run fine and smoothly on propane.

If you have the genset inside your Jeep, I think you will not find much gasoline smell, provided that you ran the fuel line, carb, etc. dry when you shut it down, by using the fuel shutoff. Some on the Forums have bought e.g. Action Packer type boxes in which to store theirs, but I doubt this is really necessary.

Securing it is an issue. There are several threads on this topic, and several solutions. "Just a chain" or cable doesn't seem to work too well for these "carryable" units, and as you note, the handles are easily removable. Good luck.
That's good to know. I do run it out both gas and propane, by shutting off fuel first.
Old 05-28-2013, 01:29 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member

2012 16' Sport
Success!

Memorial Day camping went off without a hitch. The 2400 fired right up on propane with just a couple pulls. Although I had filled the gas tank, I never needed or used it even once. Never had to.

Because I was hooked up to my A-frame propane outlet I had to park the generator in the front of my AS rather than out of the way in back. But the noise level wasn't bad and no one ever complained. In fact I got some positive comments about how quiet it ran. We could easily carry on conversations nearby while it was running. And it has a fairly low pitched sound, which is less annoying that a high pitched one. Someone down the row brought one of those big yellow generators, like Costco sells. You could hear that thing everywhere. In contrast mine was a pleasant musical instrument.

I turned the ac on a couple times just to test it. Ran fine, although with the increased load the noise level was a bit higher, but still not too bad.

I am very pleased with the Yamaha 2400 tri-fuel and my experience with US Carb. I recommend both.
Old 07-02-2013, 10:50 AM   #24
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB International
Annapolis , Maryland
Did you need any adapters to connect to the A-frame propane quick disconnect? I just placed an order for a tri-fuel 2400iSHC from US Carubueration and they were emphatic that a 1/4" hose is only good for high pressure - low pressure requires 3/8". Did you still use the 1/4" hose from the starter kit or replace the quick disconnect on the A-frame?

Thanks.
Old 07-02-2013, 01:13 PM   #25
4 Rivet Member

2012 16' Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by matthorr View Post
Did you need any adapters to connect to the A-frame propane quick disconnect? I just placed an order for a tri-fuel 2400iSHC from US Carubueration and they were emphatic that a 1/4" hose is only good for high pressure - low pressure requires 3/8". Did you still use the 1/4" hose from the starter kit or replace the quick disconnect on the A-frame?

Thanks.
Well in this case they are wrong. The Airstream IS a low pressure system
AND the included 1/4" hose and connector worked with the 2400. I did buy the adapters from USCARB, and I needed some of them for the 2400 side. Didn't need their 3/8" hose, however. Nor did I need the extra regulator.
Old 07-02-2013, 01:21 PM   #26
4 Rivet Member

2012 16' Sport
Here's a pic of my setup. The connection at the a-frame is just what came with the AS, as is the hose. I had to adapt at the generator to connect. I was able to include a quick disconnect along with an adapter from the 1/4" hose.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1591.jpg
Views:	373
Size:	347.7 KB
ID:	189975  
Old 07-02-2013, 01:23 PM   #27
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB International
Annapolis , Maryland
Thanks. I guess there's a difference between what works and what is the "norm" for a given application. It didn't make much sense to me why the thinner hose wouldn't work unless it couldn't provide enough flow, but that appears to not be the case.
Any other advice worth passing on? I'm thinking of either drilling a hole in the frame or replacing the handle bolts so I can better secure it to the trailer with a cable if I take the generator out of the truck bed (where I plan on keeping it most of the time).
Old 07-02-2013, 01:35 PM   #28
4 Rivet Member

2012 16' Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by matthorr View Post
Thanks. I guess there's a difference between what works and what is the "norm" for a given application. It didn't make much sense to me why the thinner hose wouldn't work unless it couldn't provide enough flow, but that appears to not be the case.
Any other advice worth passing on? I'm thinking of either drilling a hole in the frame or replacing the handle bolts so I can better secure it to the trailer with a cable if I take the generator out of the truck bed (where I plan on keeping it most of the time).
Oh, I would like to see it when you get it done. I know my chain through the handles was more for looks. I covered up the ends of the handle bolts to make it less obvious that all you had to do was unscrew them to steal it. I was thinking of drilling a hole somewhere in the frame also.

ONE OBSERVATION: The only issue I ran into while camping is that when I tried to button start (spark) my propane burners in the AS while the generator was running it would not light. I guess it cut the pressure just enough. However, I could either light with a match or shut off the generator just long enough to start the burner. Then I could run both at the same time with no problem.