Old 08-07-2008, 02:43 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2006 28' Safari SE
Winter Park , Florida
Need Help to Comply with Generator Rules

Football season is around the corner and I want to utilize the RV Parking available. However, I have to comply with the following rule, which is obviously more applicable to motor homes than Airstreams:

Generator Prohibitions and Exhaust Extension Requirements

On-board generators are permitted, however exterior or pull-along generators are prohibited at all times. For safety reasons, all motor homes are required to utilize exhaust extensions or “smoke stacks” to channel exhaust fumes to the top of the motor home.

I have two (2) Honda EU2000 generators connected in-line that I intend to keep in the bed of my truck while they're running. Can anyone give me some suggestions on how I can situate my Hondas or construct an enclosure and an exhaust extenstion for them to comply with this rule?

I've got three weeks to get ready for the first game and am hoping to take the Airstream but I've got to get around this rule!! Florida in August is WAY too hot to attempt this without air conditioning.

Thanks! BH

GO GATORS!!
dbradhstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 02:51 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
If you have a cap on your truck I have seen camper that cut two camper ceiling vents in the top of the cap and have 2 fans mounted in the vents. One fan blowing in and one blowing out. This reduces the sound, supplies the cooling air, and get rid of the exhaust for camping.

Not sure if the bureaucrats would except the fan as your exhaust stack but then again unless they came looking I doubt if they would know they were running. If they did I would make a 4 or 5 in. stove pipe stack and a box to cover the exhaust vent to what ever height require and set it up there at the game. Your circus should look no different than any other tailgater.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 03:47 PM   #3

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Put both gensets in a big BBQ grill, hide the cord on the leg and run it under a mat.
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 04:02 PM   #4
tpi
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Trabuco Canyon , California
I think the objective is to get the exhaust way up in the air and minimize CO exposure. Evidently there have been problems in these events in the past. Possibly you could fabricate a tall stack (as tall as the motorhome) would be which attaches to both gensets thru flex exhaust tubing and worm gear clamps. The stack could have a base plate and tie downs for the back of your pickup. It could be in two sections to break down for transport. A muffler shop could fabricate. At that point you'd be complying with the spirit of the regulations but who knows if they'll accept it.

Basically this points, IMO, to a major flaw in today's gensets. Why isn't at least one available with fuel injection, a MAP sensor (adjusts for elevation), and a catalytic converter? Much less CO, almost odor free exhaust... This is all within the realm of '80's technology. Can't someone make it an option?
Old 08-07-2008, 04:13 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
A few thoughts

BH,

I like your question; it made me stop & think.

The rules are in place to keep both the sound and smell of everyone's generators to something manageable.

Sound-wise, just show up with a sheet of 5/8 plywood cut to fit the top of the bed. Maybe glue some R-19 insulation to the bottom side for additional noise abatement. There will probably be enough air leakage around the perimeter to allow engine air in.

The problem, to me, is the exhaust. To do this this right way, the exhaust stack needs to mount firmly to the muffler. That will be very difficult to do.

The optimum exhaust setup would be an exhaust stack which bolts directly to the engine which incorporates a muffler. Such a device, properly designed, would take the exhaust stack's back pressure into account.

But let's say you figure out a fairly air-tight way to hook a stack to the muffler. Let's also say the stack's diameter is one inch. The plywood cover should have a hole roughly three inches in diameter for the stack to pass through. An piece of iron sheetmetal with a one inch diameter hole should be in place over the three-inch hole for the stack to pass through. You don't want to burn the plywood.

Now let's say all this has been done. Run the setup a while and check the bed temperature. You might have to cut another hole in the plywood & add a fan to keep the gensets cool.

Good luck,
Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 04:33 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
I love seeing the quite formidable collective intelligence and energy of this Forum applied to providing a solution to something very near and dear to my heart-- football tailgating.

I don't have anything to add because the responses above are excellent suggestions. I just wanted to express my pleasure that this particular situation is being addressed by the Forum.

Good luck, I think you'll manage to find a way to adhere to this rule.

-Marcus
Old 08-07-2008, 04:53 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2006 28' Safari SE
Winter Park , Florida
I've got a few notions of my own and these replies are definitely helping - recruiting a muffler shop to fabricate some type of exhaust stack is a great idea. Please keep the ideas coming.

I happen to have an unused steel mesh dog crate large enough to hold both generators. I'm thinking of using that as framework, putting them in there and covering the top and sides of that sucker with some kind of heat resistant material to create a "box" for them. Probably leave the front and rear open for circulation. Then, attach some sort of exhaust stack to the rear of the crate to send the exhaust skyward. A muffler shop could assemble a "Y" to take in the exhaust from the two generators, maybe.

We'll look like the Clampetts sitting amongst all those million $$ motorhomes, perhaps, but if I can figure this out we'll be grilling and tailgating with the big boys in our A/S nevertheless. Momma would be so proud.

GO GATORS!!
Old 08-07-2008, 05:00 PM   #8
tpi
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Trabuco Canyon , California
I think the interface between the gensets and the stack will take the most thought. Finding the tubing which will interface with the genset's tiny exhaust pipes will take some doing..hopefully there is flex tubing available in that size. Otherwise larger flex tubing with a reducer at the point of attachment. My Yamaha 3000 genset uses a small clamp to hold the exhaust pipe to the muffler-you may have to experiment with the clamps to see what will stand up to the heat and vibration. I'd have a flat base plate welded to the bottom of the stack and some hooks for tie downs up the stack a ways. Have the genset exhausts enter the main stack a couple feet off the base, possibly put a small drain hole at the bottom of the stack for rainwater/condensation. Or bend the top of the stack 90 degrees to reduce rainwater entry.
Old 08-07-2008, 05:04 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Alllllllaaaaaaabama

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbradhstream View Post
... We'll look like the Clampetts sitting amongst all those million $$ motorhomes, perhaps, but if I can figure this out we'll be grilling and tailgating with the big boys in our A/S nevertheless...
You'd be comfortable at football games with us. The U of A had an A-day game on this trip.

Tom
Old 08-07-2008, 05:21 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
rube goldberg just told me to tell you that he was thinking of.....

having an insulated stove pipe (as used in wood burning stoves) placed over some sort of exhaust collection box (he can't do ALL the work for you) ;-)

the stove pipe, if not too large, should draft the exhaust out the top.

for sale soon at a store near you!
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 05:35 PM   #11
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
I seem to remember the exhaust of an E2000i where it comes out of the muffler to be roughly the size of galvanized steel conduit. The exhaust is very quiet on these generators as-is, and the additional piping (conduit) should make them even quieter. Just be aware it may increase back pressure in the exhaust, and reduced wattage capacity.
Old 08-07-2008, 05:46 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1969 25' Tradewind
Irmo , South Carolina
Sounds to me like a pair of generators in the back of a truck would qualify as exterior generators by their definition. I'd get the use of them approved before I went to the trouble to fabricate an exhaust system for them.
AIR #8891
Unrestored 1969 25' Tradewind
Overkill Tow Vehicle of the Year Award:
2001 GMC 3500 4x4 Dually 6.6L Duramax
Journalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 05:51 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Think of the rules' intent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Journalist View Post
Sounds to me like a pair of generators in the back of a truck would qualify as exterior generators by their definition. ...
If an enclosure covers the generators, then the intent of the rules (sound abatement) is met.

The Rule Enforcement Team is only concerned with tailgaters who are a nuisance to others.

Tom
Old 08-08-2008, 02:02 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2006 28' Safari SE
Winter Park , Florida
I have traded emails with the RV Parking Rules guy and, while he hasn't said "okay", my impression is that the exhaust being routed upward above the RV roof line is the primary concern - for safety reasons. A parking lot cloaked in an invisible cloud of carbon monoxide is a really bad thing, I take it.

GO GATORS!!