Old 08-08-2008, 01:23 PM   #15
Rivet Master
1967 26' Overlander
Upperco , Maryland
Maybe I'm just warped by Ravens tailgating, but I would look around for an old 8' in-bed truck camper. Technically anything inside the camper is "onboard," it's just not onboard the AS. I'd gut the inside and set up the generators within. The height of the camper would make it easier to get ample height for the vent. There's plenty of space within the camper to allow for airflow... though I'd make sure to allow for plenty of ventilation. Heck, put in a radio, turn it to the pregame show, turn it up, open the windows... and people would never know.

hampstead38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 01:28 PM   #16
Rivet Master
1969 25' Tradewind
Irmo , South Carolina
In that case, I'd rig a collector with steel piping from the two generators to a collector, then run a single rubber exhaust hose like used for mechanics' shops out the back window to a stack clamped up high. That way, it's easily removable and you don't have to cut holes in your expensive shell. As for where to clamp the stack, you'll have to be creative with that one.

AIR #8891
Unrestored 1969 25' Tradewind
Overkill Tow Vehicle of the Year Award:
1997 Chevy C3500 Crew Cab Dually 6.5L Turbo Diesel
Journalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 03:31 PM   #17

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
I've seen a couple of exhaust stacks that DON'T hook to the gensets exhaust, simply point directly at it. The thought is the high speed exhaust will blow into the larger pipe, turn upward and continue with a chimney effect. It also drags some fresh air with it thus cooling the stack. years ago when I attached a similar extension to a genset the pipe got hot enough to seriously burn anyone that got close to it.

Good luck!
Hi Ho Silver RV! Vernon, Sarah, Mac the Border Collie -
A honkin' long 34' named AlumaTherapy
and a 26' '63 Overlander, Dolly
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 07:57 PM   #18
on the hunt
Currently Looking...
riverton , Kansas
Send a message via Skype™ to osolow
i would work on a good enclosure that keeps the Gens cool and plenty of ventilation and the noise level low.
then make a fake exhaust tube as long as it looks good to some one walking by or driving by on a golf cart.
i doubt there going to inspect and certify and put a safety stamp on it just make it look legit. but if they are going to inspect disregard and good luck
osolow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 10:53 PM   #19
1986 32' Excella
2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Citrus Heights , California
We used some stainless flex we got from McMaster Carr on our prototype vane motor flying platform. EGT's were running 1,400 F. Tubing glowed scarlet red, we taped it up with some exhaust wrap we got at Pepboys. But that's going thru a lot.
Those honda's are so quiet I doubt if you'll have any problem even if you circumvent the letter of the law. A few weeks ago the moho in the site next to me would run his onboard gen, that piece of crap was noisy.
why not stir the pot and DEMAND a Decibel reading for compliance at , let's say 50 feet.
Problem is I'm guessing that lots of tailgators (FLA. spelling) use contractors type gensets. who knows, have fun, do the easy stuff first, what are they gonna do FINE you? probably only if you bust their chops.Tell them you're trying to comply, you just aren't a genius. Play stupid, play sober, talk nice with respect for the rules. bla bla
I'ld just fire them babies up and see what shakes down.

Proud Appellation American

Vine View Heights is now closed.

YETI ( 65 Quart )

IGLOO (Ice Cube, 50 Quart )
doorgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 09:45 AM   #20
Rivet Master
2004 28' Classic
Currently Looking...
huntsville , Alabama
untill you get a coach full of co2 from your neighbor . and was lucky enough that some one woke you up. it could be you and your family getting the gas fumes. then you will understand why the
university doesnt want sued by some ones love ones for letting some unit not vent his fumes up over the rvs. i dont believe sardines get packed as tight. i did the tailgate thing untill i got sick of it 5 yrs. i was so happy when my son and eli graduated.
if you cant vent it dont start it. stay home and watch the game on tv..
just my 2 cents worth

2007 chevrolet 2500 duramax 6.6
allison 6 speed
2004 classic 28 WB , Pro Pride P-3 hitch
centramatics wheel ballancers 300-556
wb13798 is offline   Reply With Quote