Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 06-05-2016, 09:33 PM   #29
Rivet Master
 
CruizinDux's Avatar
 
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Eugene (Tracktown USA) , Oregon
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 682
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanavera View Post
I rechecked and there is nothing in the generator to assist in adding oil. With my model you do need something with a longer pouring spout or curved funnel to easily add oil. To drain they have instructed to remove a side panel and tip the generator to allow the oil to flow out of the filler port.

Jack
Jack and Peter. Thanks! This discussion has been very informative.

I had always ruled out gen's mainly due to fumes and having to carry gas in the TV. I've been on projects involving large commercial gensets on Propane but it never occurred me that they would be viable on 1 & 2K's. Small gens with NG/P capabilities kinda opens the door on the other side of the trailer so to speak.

Peter sounds like you're planning on gas mainly or not the NG side to use your words is that correct. However if you were to use it, it would be a direct connection at the front port and not require another regulator...correct?

Bob
__________________

__________________
CruizinDux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 03:16 AM   #30
Rivet Master

 
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 3,580
Yes, Bob, that is the plan -- use the front low-pressure propane port with a longer flexible hose, so the gen can be located wherever it is quietest -- probably at the rear in a back-in site. TBD for each set-up.

Using propane for generators is a no-brainer with our port IMO, and the Yamaha 1000 only weighs 27 pounds as I recall. Per the following thread, there is some question of whether this small gen will handle our OEM Parallax battery charger/inverter, but IMO it will, as long as the batteries are not totally dead. As a maintenance tool, like sharpening chisels regularly, the 1000 will just do the trick IMO. Less is more yadda yadda . . .

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f448...0i-147804.html

TBD for sure. I also raised this question on the 20-footer thread, and I think it was subfan1 who said OK (but maybe not with the upgraded Progressive inverter/charger?).

Will get the gen run-in for two hours with gasoline first, as required by Yamaha and US Carburetor [the after-market installed of the propane system], then report later this week hopefully on the propane set-up.

Peter

PS -- The gen is shipped with an extra hose and regulator, for also hooking up to a standard small BBQ propane tank, which makes this little unit a great emergency storm-preparedness tool for home. Thinking . . . hurricane season is upon us . . .
__________________

__________________
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 03:54 AM   #31
Rivet Master

 
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 3,580
Correction it was jpons who commented on this on the 20-footer thread.
__________________
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 12:51 PM   #32
Rivet Master
 
CruizinDux's Avatar
 
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Eugene (Tracktown USA) , Oregon
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 682
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Yes, Bob, that is the plan -- use the front low-pressure propane port with a longer flexible hose, so the gen can be located wherever it is quietest -- probably at the rear in a back-in site. TBD for each set-up.

Using propane for generators is a no-brainer with our port IMO, and the Yamaha 1000 only weighs 27 pounds as I recall. Per the following thread, there is some question of whether this small gen will handle our OEM Parallax battery charger/inverter, but IMO it will, as long as the batteries are not totally dead. As a maintenance tool, like sharpening chisels regularly, the 1000 will just do the trick IMO. Less is more yadda yadda . . .

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f448...0i-147804.html

TBD for sure. I also raised this question on the 20-footer thread, and I think it was subfan1 who said OK (but maybe not with the upgraded Progressive inverter/charger?).

Will get the gen run-in for two hours with gasoline first, as required by Yamaha and US Carburetor [the after-market installed of the propane system], then report later this week hopefully on the propane set-up.

Peter

PS -- The gen is shipped with an extra hose and regulator, for also hooking up to a standard small BBQ propane tank, which makes this little unit a great emergency storm-preparedness tool for home. Thinking . . . hurricane season is upon us . . .
Peter, thanks Yes this is a sweet gen set and perfect for our needs (keeping batts topped off). I suspect that the upcoming year will be mainly parks with SP, but I think we'll end up being a bit more boon docking adventuresome as time passes...especially if we go to Alaska.

For now I'm good as long as the batts hold out. Next winter I'll modify the box so when they do go, I'll swap for the 2 6v GC batts. Personally I don't see a need for an charger/inverter and don't have SP for storage so will likely stay with the OEM Parallax, and grab the gen set.

Thanks for the link. It looks familiar but as usual I'll save the link in my ele folder. I'lla lso go back a re-read jpons posts.

Bob
__________________
CruizinDux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 03:26 AM   #33
Rivet Master

 
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 3,580
Bob, if you start reading at Post #816 on the 20-footer thread, both subfan1 and jpons have helpful comments on the 1k gen issues.

Ditto to your thoughts below to keep everything as-is for now. I will follow up with our new gen this week, and report back.

Have a great trip to Orca Island!

Cheers,

Peter


Quote:
Originally Posted by CruizinDux View Post
Peter, thanks Yes this is a sweet gen set and perfect for our needs (keeping batts topped off). I suspect that the upcoming year will be mainly parks with SP, but I think we'll end up being a bit more boon docking adventuresome as time passes...especially if we go to Alaska.

For now I'm good as long as the batts hold out. Next winter I'll modify the box so when they do go, I'll swap for the 2 6v GC batts. Personally I don't see a need for an charger/inverter and don't have SP for storage so will likely stay with the OEM Parallax, and grab the gen set.

Thanks for the link. It looks familiar but as usual I'll save the link in my ele folder. I'lla lso go back a re-read jpons posts.

Bob
__________________
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 09:12 AM   #34
Rivet Master
 
CruizinDux's Avatar
 
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Eugene (Tracktown USA) , Oregon
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 682
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Bob, if you start reading at Post #816 on the 20-footer thread, both subfan1 and jpons have helpful comments on the 1k gen issues.

Ditto to your thoughts below to keep everything as-is for now. I will follow up with our new gen this week, and report back.

Have a great trip to Orca Island!

Cheers,

Peter

Peter, thanks for the specific post #'s. I'll revisit. Thanks too for the tip re the FW shutoff. I think I'll grab my grinder tomorrow when I bring Blue home for "Orcas Prep" Can't wait.

Bob
__________________
CruizinDux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 09:38 AM   #35
Moderator
 
jcanavera's Avatar

 
2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 8,773
Images: 143
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Need A Generator? Act today!

I have a friend who has 2 of the 2000 watt units that are tied together to provide 30 amps. He's been very pleased with the performance of the Yamaha gens. I went with the 2k unit mainly to give me the addition wattage to operate the fridge and furnace at home if necessary. We went without power for a week many years back due to an ice storm. I don't want to relive that again. Tied to NG this would allow us to at least stay in the house.

Jack
__________________
Jack Canavera
STL Mo.
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 04:20 PM   #36
Rivet Master

 
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 3,580
Update on Yamaha 1000

Performed the recommended 2-hour run-in with gasoline at over 1/2 load by using an electric oil-filled radiator on the medium setting, to obtain the specified non-variable load. Gen started right up and was smooth and quiet. RPM's were about 5000. Guessed a bit heavy on the gas quantity, so emptying the tank took about 2.5 hours. Ordered longer hose and quick disconnect pieces to make up when they come on Saturday, so the gen can be placed at the best location in a campsite. This small unit is a joy to lift and carry!

Peter
__________________
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 10:20 PM   #37
Rivet Master
 
CruizinDux's Avatar
 
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Eugene (Tracktown USA) , Oregon
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 682
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Performed the recommended 2-hour run-in with gasoline at over 1/2 load by using an electric oil-filled radiator on the medium setting, to obtain the specified non-variable load. Gen started right up and was smooth and quiet. RPM's were about 5000. Guessed a bit heavy on the gas quantity, so emptying the tank took about 2.5 hours. Ordered longer hose and quick disconnect pieces to make up when they come on Saturday, so the gen can be placed at the best location in a campsite. This small unit is a joy to lift and carry!

Peter
Peter, that's great news.

Thanks to everyone for their comments, feedback and educating me so well. I have learned a lot on this thread and

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f287...ml#post1803950.

Bob
__________________
CruizinDux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 08:25 AM   #38
Moderator
 
jcanavera's Avatar

 
2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 8,773
Images: 143
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Need A Generator? Act today!

I'm going to buy a cover but be forwarned that the tri-fuel assembly requires you to go to the next larger size cover. So I'll be buying the cover for 2400 watt unit.
I got a letter from Yamaha with an extension of my warranty. I talked with US Carburetor and they said that Yamaha had a promotion that was going on that was adding a year to the existing factory warranty. So now we now have 4 years. This was a major difference in choosing the Yamaha over the Honda. Doing a tri-fuel conversion voids the Honda warranty.

Jack
__________________
Jack Canavera
STL Mo.
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 01:40 PM   #39
Rivet Master

 
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 3,580
Update on the Yamaha 1k generator --

Received the 10' extension hose from Amazon and hooked up the Yamaha 1k generator, adjusted the idle per US Carb instructions, and all is well. This smaller unit seems fine charging our FC20's batteries via the OEM Parallax converter/charger. TBD if we upgrade to the Progressive 4655.

See the 20-footer threat for more detail.

We are very happy with this new generator, and with the service from Jim at US Carburetor.

Now to go camping . . . !

Cheers,

Peter

20-footer thread: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f516...ml#post1805991
__________________
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 08:43 AM   #40
Rivet Master

 
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 3,580
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanavera View Post
I'm going to buy a cover but be forwarned that the tri-fuel assembly requires you to go to the next larger size cover. So I'll be buying the cover for 2400 watt unit.
I got a letter from Yamaha with an extension of my warranty. I talked with US Carburetor and they said that Yamaha had a promotion that was going on that was adding a year to the existing factory warranty. So now we now have 4 years. This was a major difference in choosing the Yamaha over the Honda. Doing a tri-fuel conversion voids the Honda warranty.

Jack
We just received our 4-year warranty also. Good deal! The 1k gen is working out great. Still need to get another 10' extension hose to locate the gen at the back of the site. At our two recent trips to the oceanfront CG, the ocean was louder than the gen even with the converter and fridge running off it.
__________________
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 09:36 AM   #41
Moderator
 
jcanavera's Avatar

 
2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 8,773
Images: 143
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Need A Generator? Act today!

I never did see anything written initially about the warranty extension on US Carb's site. I assume it is/was some type of national promotion from Yamaha on new generator purchases. At this point I'm working on getting a high pressure T to put on one bottle on the trailer. That will allow me to connect the generator without disconnecting the bottle from the trailer's connection to the trailer regulator. After that gets done I'll work on the natural gas connection at home so I'll have some backup power at home.

Jack
__________________
Jack Canavera
STL Mo.
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 11:44 AM   #42
Rivet Master

 
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 3,580
Why not T into the low pressure line under the tongue? Seems easier and a better location for a quick disconnect for the gen and maybe a future BBQ? [edit -- Although it is a bit awkward reaching down to our factory quick connect.]

Peter
__________________

__________________
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
"The RV Protection Act" cosmotini Off Topic Forum 2 09-06-2006 01:10 PM
Act of Kindness 53flyingcloud Off Topic Forum 7 04-17-2004 06:44 PM
Monsoon, act II Pahaska Our Community 11 10-25-2002 07:34 AM


Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by



Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:50 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.