Old 05-27-2016, 01:36 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Thanks for going into detail Jack on the set up under load etc.. My 1000 is supposed to ship in the next day or two, so I will revisit this next week after reading the manuals. How much do you anticipate having to change the fuel mixture as you use yours? Seems to me the loads will always be varying, so will it be possible to adjust things to one acceptable median setting, like a gas generator?

Have a good long weekend!

Peter

Old 05-27-2016, 09:16 AM   #16

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
It's really a one time adjustment. The concept is the propane or natural gas flows through a regulator. It has a diaphragm which opens and closes to regulate the amount of propane or NG going into the carburetor. When the engine is under full load, the diaphragm is wide open. So you start the generator adjust the block to get the engine running smoothly. Let it warm up and then put a full load on it. At that point the engine should be at its max rpm. You adjust the block to get the engine to its best rpm. The key at that point is screwing the adjusting bolt to lean the gas flow. So you lean it out till you see the rpms drop. Then back the bolt slowly to get the rpms back to their max. At that point you engage the locking nut against the adjusting bolt. This should get you the leanest setting for max rpm. This is the condition they call "lean is cool & clean" in the manual.

Now you shouldn't require any further adjustment unless you switch between propane and natural gas. Also if you change altitudes 1,000 feet or more from your previous run location, you will need to readjust.

I'm going to do my adjustment with the trailer next week to see what appliances I need to turn on to get a 1,600 watt load. That will make the adjusting process easier if I travel to locations where I get altitude changes 1,000+ feet.

I think your generator may not having a locking nut, but rather a spring to maintain the position of the adjusting bolt.

Hope this helps you!

Jack

AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 10:30 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Thanks, will let you now next week.

Have a good weekend,

Peter
Old 05-27-2016, 12:14 PM   #18
Home of Vortex tuning

2013 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Spearfish , South Dakota
So you can adjust your mixture to compensate for altitude?
Old 05-27-2016, 08:55 PM   #19

Fenton , Missouri
Need A Generator? Act today!

Yes, the adjustment is for the propane/natural gas side. It's important to keep the engine fuel lean when running with these two fuels. Once you get the max rpm from the initial adjustment you fine tune it to the lean side. That apparently deals with combustion temperatures that I've heard could be higher than what gasoline provides if not regulated properly.

Jack
AIR #56
Old 06-03-2016, 05:08 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanavera View Post
Yes, the adjustment is for the propane/natural gas side. It's important to keep the engine fuel lean when running with these two fuels. Once you get the max rpm from the initial adjustment you fine tune it to the lean side. That apparently deals with combustion temperatures that I've heard could be higher than what gasoline provides if not regulated properly.

Jack
Hi Jack,

Our gen arrived, and I am wondering about the instruction to keep the gas tank at least 1/4 full even when later operating on propane. Have you done this? Your earlier post says you let the gas tank go empty.

Apparently it is part of the national code, but reading between the lines my hunch is that some people let the gas tank go empty for safety reasons (no gas fumes in the tow vehicle).

I am planning on doing the gasoline 2-hour run-in over the weekend.

Thanks for your feedback on the above, and for any further thoughts. Is your gen up and running for the medical device you planned on?

Thanks and have a good weekend.

Peter

PS we are not planning on using the natural gas side of this, but I did note their caution to make sure that your domestic supply line is big enough, in terms of the length of run between your supplier's high pressure regulator and the outlet for the trailer. [FWIW and FYI]
Old 06-03-2016, 07:01 PM   #21

Fenton , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Hi Jack,

Our gen arrived, and I am wondering about the instruction to keep the gas tank at least 1/4 full even when later operating on propane. Have you done this? Your earlier post says you let the gas tank go empty.

Apparently it is part of the national code, but reading between the lines my hunch is that some people let the gas tank go empty for safety reasons (no gas fumes in the tow vehicle).

Thanks for your feedback on the above, and for any further thoughts. Is your gen up and running for the medical device you planned on?

Peter

PS we are not planning on using the natural gas side of this, but I did note their caution to make sure that your domestic supply line is big enough, in terms of the length of run between your supplier's high pressure regulator and the outlet for the trailer. [FWIW and FYI]
I saw that same quote in my manual. I don't know the reasoning either since the Yamaha EF2000iSv2 that I bought has a tank fuel shut off switch, so for all intents carrying a 1/4 tank of gasoline has absolutely no benefit. It may be buried within the NFPA 110 regs. The manual provided with my generator says to contact NFPA for them to explain the requirement. Supposedly it is for safety but I just don't know unless it is some type of requirement for dual fuel generators when using them for emergency power needs.

As far as the gas line, it is important when using natural gas for sure. But in my case, I have no low pressure outlet on the trailer. So I'm pulling propane from the high pressure side and my flex hose that I'm using has a regulator on it. I bought the hose, fittings, and regulator from US Carburetor when I bought the generator.

Now one modification I will be making is purchasing a tee that will give me screw cap valve that I can hook the hose to. I had one on my SOB trailer that was used to operate my portable grill. That way I didn't have to disconnect the POL fitting on one of the Airstream's tanks. At this time I also carry an 11 lb tank for my BBQ and I can use that if I don't want to use an Airstream tank.

Jack
AIR #56
Old 06-03-2016, 07:03 PM   #22

Fenton , Missouri
Quote:
Hi Jack,

Peter

I saw that same quote in my manual. I don't know the reasoning either by the Yamaha EF2000iSv2 that I bought has a tank fuel shut off switch, so for all intents carrying a 1/4 tank of gasoline has absolutely no benefit. It may be buried within the NFPA 110 regs. The manual provided with my generator says to contact NFPA for them to explain the requirement. Supposedly it is for safety but I just don't know unless it is some type of requirement for dual fuel generators when using them for emergency power needs.

As far as a natural gas line diameter, it is important when using natural gas for sure. But in my case, I have no low pressure propane outlet on the trailer. So I'm pulling propane from the high pressure side and my flex hose that I'm using has a regulator on it. I bought the hose, fittings, and regulator from US Carburetor when I bought the generator.

Now one modification I will be making is purchasing a tee that will give me screw cap valve that I can hook the hose to. I had one on my SOB trailer that was used to operate my portable grill. That way I didn't have to disconnect the POL fitting on one of the Airstream's tanks. At this time I also carry an 11 lb tank for my BBQ and I can use that if I don't want to use an Airstream tank.

Jack
AIR #56
Old 06-03-2016, 07:10 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanavera View Post
I saw that same quote in my manual. I don't know the reasoning either by the Yamaha EF2000iSv2 that I bought has a tank fuel shut off switch, so for all intents carrying a 1/4 tank of gasoline has absolutely no benefit. It may be buried within the NFPA 110 regs. The manual provided with my generator says to contact NFPA for them to explain the requirement. Supposedly it is for safety but I just don't know unless it is some type of requirement for dual fuel generators when using them for emergency power needs.
. . .
Thanks.

I seem to recall reading in a different part of the paperwork that the concern of the reg. is that you could, while running on propane, open the gas tank shut off, and create a vacuum if the gas tank were empty. Not sure what the risk would be from this, but I think that is the basis for the 1/4 gas tank reg..

About how many hours have you run yours on propane only?
Old 06-03-2016, 10:09 PM   #24

Fenton , Missouri
Need A Generator? Act today!

Well if you would open the tank valve accidentally, you would eventually still create the vacuum since the breather on the gas cap would be closed.

I only ran about 10 minutes at the most. At that point my load was only 500 watts. They do instruct you to do the initial adjustments with a full load. I'll do that with the Airstream in the coming week. I also need make the propane connections tight with use of compound and tape. Not all if the fittings supplied are compression fittings. For example the fitting into the regulator is not a compression fitting and requires the use of compound. They advise against using tape due to the potential of tape debris getting into the regulator.
AIR #56
Old 06-04-2016, 12:40 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Got her going today on gas, but am going to wait until next week to do the 2-hour run-in, as the neighbors are home for the day, and although the Yamaha 1000 is fairly quiet, no need to upset them. I wish the manual had been more clear about the removable oil fill rubber helper which is attached to the bottom right under the oil fill. Fortunately I had a new-ish gas funnel which worked OK.
Old 06-04-2016, 10:48 PM   #26

Fenton , Missouri
Well, I'm going to have to look closer. I didn't see a helper but used a measuring cup that I bought for my motorcycle to fill it with oil. It has a long filler spout which works well.
AIR #56
Old 06-05-2016, 05:01 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Your access to the oil fill port might have been easier, compared to our smaller 1000. I just mentioned it in case anyone else also gets the 1000.
Old 06-05-2016, 10:28 AM   #28

Fenton , Missouri
Quote:
Your access to the oil fill port might have been easier, compared to our smaller 1000. I just mentioned it in case anyone else also gets the 1000.
I rechecked and there is nothing in the generator to assist in adding oil. With my model you do need something with a longer pouring spout or curved funnel to easily add oil. To drain they have instructed to remove a side panel and tip the generator to allow the oil to flow out of the filler port.

Jack

AIR #56