Old 09-25-2011, 08:53 AM   #71
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Van By The River , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandiegoguy View Post
Got the fitting today!! Ran the 2400 on propane for the first time and it was not starting my AC unit!
In addition to checking the settings on the US Carb equipment be sure to check the ratings on the extension hose and the fittings you used. In addition, there are two (or more) different types of fittings for the connector at the L.P. tank - one is green, one is black and there may be a third color. The diameter of the hose can also be a factor. Some of the fittings and hoses are rated for full-flow (i.e. full pressure) and some will restrict the flow/pressure.

I've not connected a generator to my MB Sturgis setup but it was sized for the appropriate number of BTU's for a 3kw generator, gas grill, and propane fire all running at the same time. Some of the local dealers had no idea what I was talking about when I mentioned "designing" the system for all the loads. Some understood what I wanted but did not have the parts available.

Lucius

2005 Chevrolet Suburban K2500 8.1L
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 09:45 AM   #72

2002 19' Bambi
Richmond , Virginia
hose and connect sizing

I went local to get my extension hoses and quick connects made. I was a bit taken aback when the experts reviewed the information and then fabricated hose and disconnects that had such a large diameter...no BBQ grill sized system...with a cost to go with it. However, it seemed not to be overkill, as when the unit was set up on propane with the long extenstion, the 2400is ran like a top...so there may be something to all this hose diameter stuff...USCarb probably knows what is needed based on how much propane is used and how long a run one intends to make from the tank to the generator...

Old 09-27-2011, 12:53 AM   #73
1 Rivet Member

san diego , California
Is there a differance from a propane hose or a LP hose?
Old 09-27-2011, 06:02 AM   #74
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Quote:
Is there a differance from a propane hose or a LP hose?
Just the missing G....

Bob

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 10:11 AM   #75
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
I know that the hose provided by US Carb is much thicker and heavier-duty than a regular bbq-style hose (and the hoses used on my rig bottles). I suspect the inside diameter is larger, too, allowing the genny to call for more gas when it needs it.

Just a typically uneducated statement.

Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 09:04 AM   #76
1 Rivet Member

san diego , California
What is g?
Old 09-28-2011, 09:56 AM   #77
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Quote:
What is g?
Gas..

Bob

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

RLC
Old 09-28-2011, 09:58 AM   #78
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Sunset Beach , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Michael View Post
I bought a yamaha 3000iseb and chose not to go with the propane conversion due to if yamaha was not making it as a propane unit then they must have had a good reason for it, since so many people are looking for that feature. Also, I did not like the way the regulator is mounted to the outside of the gen, but mainly my reason was that I felt that the people at yamaha designed the generator to run on gasoline and not for an aftermarket company to convert just the carb to propane and not take the rest of the gen into account.
Hi Ken,

I suspect that the reason that Yamaha or Honda have not come out with a gas powered version of their generators is simply that the cash-flow isn't there to support the conversion and a matter of risk. They always have the option of not providing warranty support and if someone happens to burn down their rig as a result of careless use of a converted generator and sue, then both companies can and will claim that the generator in question was converted and that they are not be responsible even if it wasn't the conversion that caused the problem. So having others do the gas conversion is a very low cost solution for them. Both Yamaha and Honda produce generators that operate in other parts of the world on fuels other than gasoline, so I feel confident that they are well aware of the types of problems that a certain type of fuel will cause for their generators. IMHO, if fuel prices and demand rise enough, I'm sure that both companies would start selling their own tri-fueled gensets.

Cheers,
Rion
GinMame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 10:12 AM   #79
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
Just the missing G....

Bob
Hi Bob,

What kind of connection do you use to get gas off of the AS's tanks or do you carry an extra tank just for the generators? Could you please post some pictures of the connection for the extra line from the AS's tanks if that is how you do it. Thanks.

Happy Airstreaming,
Rion
Old 09-28-2011, 11:03 AM   #80
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Quote:
Originally Posted by GinMame View Post
Hi Bob,

What kind of connection do you use to get gas off of the AS's tanks or do you carry an extra tank just for the generators? Could you please post some pictures of the connection for the extra line from the AS's tanks if that is how you do it. Thanks.

Happy Airstreaming,
Rion
Rion

I bought this little guy when I did the conversion just so I could get things sorted out before attempting the AS tank adapt. Runs so well for so long, (20+hrs) I never did change over.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PROPANE CONVERSION, HONDA 2000 001.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	344.6 KB
ID:	141191  

RLC

RLC
Old 09-28-2011, 11:21 AM   #81
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Rion

I bought this little guy when I did the conversion just so I could get things sorted out before attempting the AS tank adapt. Runs so well for so long, (20+hrs) I never did change over.

Bob
Bob,

I have to say that is a neat little guy, where to you carry him, in the coach or in the burb? Thank you for posting the pictures in this thread, they give me some better ideas that what I originally had.

Cheers,
Rion
Old 09-28-2011, 11:47 AM   #82
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Rion,

Your welcome....

The Classic has a rear "trunk" above the bumper. Fits in there nicely.

We left on a camping trip two daze after I finished the conversion and that little rascal lasted the whole 2wks, averaged 2hrs per day. Actually it has worked out pretty well as I'm not limited by the length of the supply line to the AS tanks. Usually run it in a small tent at the rear away from the front living area so you don't even realize it's running.

My pockets are full of the tuit's I never got around too...

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	piseco_20lake_20camping_20july_202008_20087.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	88.6 KB
ID:	141193  

RLC

RLC
Old 10-02-2011, 05:26 PM   #83
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Usually run it in a small tent at the rear away from the front living area so you don't even realize it's running.
Bob,

I never would have thought about that, but that is a great idea! Keeps the generator dry and the noise level down in the Airstream.

OK, so I'm off to REI and look at small tents now...

Happy Airstreaming,
Rion
Old 10-02-2011, 07:38 PM   #84
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by GinMame View Post
Bob,

I never would have thought about that, but that is a great idea! Keeps the generator dry and the noise level down in the Airstream.

OK, so I'm off to REI and look at small tents now...

Happy Airstreaming,
Rion
Rion,

If you do get a small tent for the generator....run it with at least one window and the door open as in the pic. It won't do much for noise but it does keep prying eye's away. I put two 3' long 2x4's on the ground under the tent, and sit the gen on them. That way if it does rain it won't be sitting in water.
In a real downpour we usually shut it down & close it up anyway.

Bob

RLC

RLC