Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar > Generators & Solar Power
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-06-2007, 05:20 PM   #21
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Way to go JK!

You'll find everything that you need in the conversion kit. Be sure that you 'break in' the new generator ON GASOLINE for 3 hours 'under load' first before doing the conversion. I remember reading that in the instructions on the first one that I did. Just follow the directions and it's really no biggie to do.

Let us know how you make out!
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 02:48 PM   #22
just jd.

2007 20' Safari SE
San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhayden
[...] the generator doesn't even notice when the A/C starts up. The Yamaha (like the Honda) has an Economy Switch which means the rpm ramps up when it encounters a load. Well, it doesn't noticably rev up off idle when the AC starts. NO WHERE NEAR the load of the Microwave in the house. Even the house refigerator pulls more start-up current than the trailer A/C. With the A/C running full bore the generator is sitting on idle
I can confirm this is my same experience with the 2400iS on propane, while starting/running the 13.5k AC on my Safari.

I thought I might need to add a soft start capacitor to the AC, but the generator berely ramps up a little at AC startup, and remains running at near-idle. It's so slight I could almost dismiss it as my imagination. Guess they've already integrated a decent capacitor in these newer ACs...

Seems like there was a recent post about the published startup amperages for some of these ACs -- think it was under 13A for my mine, with lower runtime requirements. I'm pretty happy with my choice of the 2400iS trifuel

Cheers,
-jd
Old 05-07-2007, 04:04 PM   #23
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5cats
I can confirm this is my same experience with the 2400iS on propane, while starting/running the 13.5k AC on my Safari.
.....I Guess they've already integrated a decent capacitor in these newer ACs...

Cheers,
-jd
I'm still not sure what size AC is in my Trade Wind, but I do know it is at least 10 years old. My 2400 doesnt seem to notice it much.......

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 04:37 AM   #24
3 Rivet Member

2005 22' International CCD
Woodland Park , Colorado
That is great news Rodney and jd! I had accepted the fact the 2400 would not run my A/C. Now knowing it likely will is an added bonus! Thanks, jk
JK3500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 09:21 AM   #25
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by JK3500
That is great news Rodney and jd! I had accepted the fact the 2400 would not run my A/C. Now knowing it likely will is an added bonus! Thanks, jk
No promises here , just a report on my experience. It does look encouraging though

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 09:53 AM   #26
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD
Martin , Georgia
I have an EF2400is converted. It will run the 11000 BTU AC on a 2006 Bambi. I tried it on gas after I got the generator about a month ago, just to see if it would work. I turned off everything but a few lights. The AC ran without any problem. I think the rpm's went up about 200 with the AC on. I haven't completed the recommended break-in on gas yet, so I have yet to try on propane.
I purchased from US Carb already converted. They were out of that generator when I called. They were expecting a shipment from Yamaha that week. They told me they didn't charge until shipped and I would get a notice when actually shipped. They did everything they said they would. I think I got the unit 9-10 days after ordering.
Dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 06:29 AM   #27
3 Rivet Member

Woodland Park , Colorado
Generator Done

Well, the generator and the conversion kit came in last week. Did the converion on Friday (after breaking it in on gas, as stated).

The conversion went well, though I will say the instructions were a bit sketchy. The conversion though is pretty straightforward and, after reading the instructions several times and comparing the pictures to the parts it is not hard to figure out.

Once assembled, hooked it to the propane and, after priming a few times it fired right up. I really like the ability to adjust the fuel mixture; here at 8600' I was able to adjust it to run smoother than it did on gas.

Finally I plugged in the AS and fired up the A/C. the 2400 handled the load no problem, even running the A/C and a set of lights without raising the rpms. I have a 13.5 unit.

Also replaced the 20# propane tanks on my AS to 30 pounders and picked up 2 extra 30# tanks to mount in the truck. One tank will run the gen, the other will be a spare. They are secured in the truck with a standard 2 bottle RV rack bolted to the bed. I have been told the propane generators may not run off 20# bottles as the 20 pounders do not have the volume of propane to handle the draw of the generator. One of the experts may be able to explain this better but it has to do with greater surface area being able to produce more propane vapor.

Recommend the kit to anyone fairly mechanically inclined. It's a little scary once you start tearing apart your $1200 generator but, like I said it is pretty straightforward and, other than the holes you drill in the back cover to mount the regulator, completely reversible.
Old 05-13-2007, 07:04 AM   #28
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
JK,

I don't know where you heard about the 20# vs the 30# bottles. A friend of mine ran a 2400iS in the Wilma aftermath for 8 days on 20# cylinders.....no problems! From what I know, the surface area of the two tanks is the same, as determined by the diameter of the tank. Of course, 30's just have more LP in them and will run longer!

PS: I KNEW you could do it! Now you're intimately familiar with your generator, and can troubleshoot any problems with ease.
Old 05-13-2007, 11:31 AM   #29
3 Rivet Member

Woodland Park , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster
JK,

I don't know where you heard about the 20# vs the 30# bottles. A friend of mine ran a 2400iS in the Wilma aftermath for 8 days on 20# cylinders.....no problems! From what I know, the surface area of the two tanks is the same, as determined by the diameter of the tank. Of course, 30's just have more LP in them and will run longer!

PS: I KNEW you could do it! Now you're intimately familiar with your generator, and can troubleshoot any problems with ease.
Thanks for the update Lew. The place I bought the propane bottles told me that 20# bottles "might" not run the gen, but then again they did not know what size generator I was using. Just reading now on the US Carb website it states a 20# cylinder will run up to 10 hp generators. Anything larger will require larger bottles.

It's good to know the 20# cylinders will run the generator no problem. I had planned to upgrade to larger cylinders on the AS regardless for more run time (they barely fit on the 22' ccd by the way) and wanted to use all same size cylinders for easy change out.

You are right, installing the conversion gave me a much greater understanding of the generator, especially how it operates off the propane, just like installing the converter and battery monitor gave me a much greater understanding of the trailer's12v electrical system and how to manage it. Thanks again for your encouragement. jk
Old 08-23-2007, 11:17 AM   #30

2002 19' Bambi
Richmond , Virginia
Yamaha 2400

A few comments:

1) I don't think storing 1/4 tank of gas is necessary at all. Just make sure the gas switch is off, which is the way to stop the generator anyhow once it is converted to tri-fuel. USCarb even provides a sticker with their conversion kit that is to be placed above the "on/off" switch that says to NOT use the switch to turn off the generator - so, bottom line is on tri-fuel conversions one turns off the generator by turning off the source of fuel.

2) The 2400 can definitely handle 11,000 BTU's. When it comes to 12-13,500 it depends on the make, model and draw of the AC. That is why some folks report no problem and others can't get up at all.

3) I solved the storage and transport of the generator and I recommend my solution to everyone. A Contico rolling bin - the black heavy duty model with yellow wheels on one end, a handle on the other with a large yellow clamp style clasp in the middle...the 2400 just happens to fit in the this baby perfectly even with a little room at one end to spare for extra parts, extension cords, quick connect hoses and the big conversion regulator mounted on the end of the 2400. It allows for easy lifting in and out of the truck/SUV, keeps it weather/damage proof, keeps the minor fumes left in the gas tank from filling the passenger compartment and makes moving it on the ground a piece of cake. The rolling bin is available from Northern for $69.99 and beats the heck out of buying or fashioning a cover and/or wheel set. If one were to modify the bin to provide exhaust, fresh air vents for cooling and intake, I do believe that this bin would also be a near perfect foul weather housing when operating and likely further dampen the already low decibles the 2400 puts off.

4) USCARB did have some growing and moving pains - and, yes...one can purchase the generator separate from the conversion kit and save a few bucks (USCARB doesn't seem to discount the 2400 off of suggested sell price as does Wise and others), and yes...it is reasonably easy (and interesting) to do the conversion. When you do need technical support from USCARB, the best if not the only way to easily get it is by e-mail with the techncial department. I not only got all of my answers quickly, but had the advantage of getting them all in writing. Seems they can handle e-mail responses much better than telephone.

5) I did a lot of research prior to choosing the 2400. Yamaha built this generator for rv'ers that could not get by with 2,000 but didn't want the weight of the 3,000. They chose the 2400 range due to its capacity to start virtually all 11,000 btu A/C's and many of the 13,500 that have the newer lower load start-up systems. A single person being able to pick up and move the generator around and lift it in and out of back of a tow vehicle was a key objective for Yamaha. They have succeeded in providing a light weight package that can handle relatively heavy rv duty with low decibles and easy conversion to tri-fuel...without voiding the warranty, which is really crucial. And, yes putting two of these units together produces almost 5,000 watts of capacity and over 30 amps as well. I will put my Yamaha up against the quality of Honda and that is saying just about everything when it comes to portable generators.

I appreciate this forum and enjoyed contributing my first entry. regards to all...
jgorde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 11:29 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
... , ...
I also solved issues of the storage and transport of the generator, and highly recommend it: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f448...ccd-34487.html
GetOutDoors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 12:02 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
The manual refers to some code somewhere that says you need to keep a the gas tank a quarter full. I thought it was redundency- in case you forgot to use the shut-off. At any rate, I've kept the tank a quarter full and store the generator under the dinette table when traveling. I haven't had an odor problem at all. And yes, it runs the 11k btu A/C just fine.
Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 09:08 AM   #33
just jd.

2007 20' Safari SE
San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne&Sam
The manual refers to some code somewhere that says you need to keep a the gas tank a quarter full [...]
Really? My manual (Yamaha EF2400iS, LIT-19626-01-23, 7CF-28199-10) makes no such claim, and neither does any material from US Carb regarding the trifuel conversion that came with it.

The only mention of storage in my Yamaha manual states that all fuel should be drained from the tank and carburetor, among other things.

What is the purpose of maintaining 1/4 tank of gasoline in the unit, when using only propane? I'd sure hate to mess up my fairly expensive investment, so if I must, I will put some gas in. But I'd need to understand what that gas is there for, before ensuring it's always there, changing it out regularly to keep things from getting gummed up, etc...

Cheers,
-jd.
Old 08-24-2007, 09:25 AM   #34
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
I've been keeping my 2400is empty of gas, and it still starts up quickly when I do my regular test-run on propane between trips.

Pat
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 09:32 AM   #35
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmclemore
I've been keeping my 2400is empty of gas, and it still starts up quickly when I do my regular test-run on propane between trips.

Pat
That's one of the beauties of using LP for a fuel. I have an Onan 7000 that I converted to propane for a back-up gen in FL and run it maybe twice a year for testing. It starts right away with not so much as a burp!
Old 08-24-2007, 05:26 PM   #36
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Yup - Glad to have the confirmation - I think Wayne&Sam should get rid of the gas under the dinette scenario.
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 05:56 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
I just read about an attempted theft of someone's Yamaha generator here:

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fu...d/20205575.cfm

Executive Summary:

He had it chained through the handle. They unbolted the handle, but it was too hard to carry away and stashed it nearby. The owner found it. He follows up with locking sugesstions.
Old 08-29-2007, 06:42 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
he should have put a bear in the box and wait for the thief to return. i'd expect that the thief watch the recovery too.
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 04:03 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
5Cats:
My trailer is on its way to Montana with my wife at the helm, so I can't pull out the reference in the paperwork. It quoted some regulation. My assumption was that if the tank was empty and the gasoline shut off was accidently left open while running on LP, the empty gas tank could fill with LP. The purpose of the 1/4 tank of gasoline was to prevent LP from entering the empty tank.
Old 08-31-2007, 05:02 PM   #40
just jd.

2007 20' Safari SE
San Diego , California
Hmm...think I had better get on the blower to US Carb for some updated literature and details before I do something wrong with my setup and go kaboom.

I do use the LP tank shutoff to let the gen run dry, before switching off switches, so I'm probably safe. I really really want to avoid any amount of wet fuel slopping around in there, except maybe in an emergency (and I'm out of LPG). Thanks for the head's up.

Cheers,
-jd.