Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-29-2008, 02:45 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
LONDON , ON
FWIW, I checked with Yamaha before doing the propane conversion on my 2400 and they said it would NOT void the warranty.

I recently got all the lines finished and now have a quick connect between the 2 tanks which is plumbed in after the trailer regulator. Now I can connect the generator or the Weber BabyQ to the quick connect.

If anyone has questions on doing the gas plumbing let me know since I sure learned a lot doing it over the past 2 months.
SilverCottage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 07:10 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Robert Cross, Thanks for the info and the link. I'm sending you a PM on another subject.
Bluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 09:07 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

1975 27' Overlander
saucier , Mississippi
do the generators use more propane than gas a freind told me he converted a 5000 honda to propane and it used so much he put it back to gas propane being almost as much as gas
clinton2292 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 06:10 AM   #24
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by clinton2292 View Post
do the generators use more propane than gas a freind told me he converted a 5000 honda to propane and it used so much he put it back to gas propane being almost as much as gas
LP has roughly the same BTU content as gasoline. Therefore, it will use nearly as much LP as gasoline. The reason most people do the conversion is so they don't have to carry cans of gas around, and have to shut the generator down every few hours to refill. Also, LP is cleaner-burning, smells better around the campsite when running, and your generator will last longer between rebuilds.
Old 09-22-2008, 01:57 PM   #25
3 Rivet Member

1964 24' Tradewind
Big Bear Lake , California
Yes, Yes, Yes, but maybe no!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
Tim
When did you purchase your Kit? Your regulator sure looks different than ours. It may be that ours is a dual mode, LPG or petrol. It sure works great on both.
I wanted to hide ours but it was just to large.

It ran 27hrs on the bottle pictured.
When this bottle ran out, just open the petcock, start up and go get some more LPG. We now carry only carry enough petrol to top up the tank.
The tach is also an hour meter and will give you service reminders.
Hi All,
I'd like to get the Honda 2000 cause it's smaller and lighter and I'd like to run it off LP but have the gasoline as an option as well. Robert Cross above says he's got both systems. I believe him. I saw a post on UTube demonstrating the Honda EU2000i running on LP and then with a flick of a switch, the unit ran on gasoline.
The problem I have is when I go to the US Carb site, which seems to be the only place I can find to get the conversion kit, their conversion product matrix list says NO for the Honda EU2000i to run on both fuels.
Anybody have an explaination?
Thanks,
Ed
Wardinbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 12:47 PM   #26
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Ed
This is the link I used when ordering.

http://www.propane-generators.com/eu2000i_kits.htm

After checking specs and a phone call to order the rest is pretty straight forward. I don't have the paperwork handy or I'd give you the part numbers.

I guess from what folks have said here, they have been really hard to contact by phone.....good luck.

For those interested, got 27hrs on the meter with an 11lb tank, average use, no a/c.
Old 09-23-2008, 01:02 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
here's a site that sells Honda set up with triple fuel.. Propane,gas, and natural gas...
Triple-Fuel Honda EU2000i Inverter Generator

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 05:36 PM   #28
3 Rivet Member

1964 24' Tradewind
Thank you all for the answer(s). Now my only question is what size is my AC unit!!!! I've had the cover off and looked and only found a serial number, but no unit data. Ain't that the way it goes?!
Ed
Old 09-24-2008, 05:59 PM   #29
3 Rivet Member

1964 24' Tradewind
Conversion Challenged!

OK, so my question on the A/C is lame, as a 2k generator isn’t going to work. My main issue with getting a generator is to keep the batteries charged. My secondary issue is getting it to run on propane. That appears easy as kits are available to accomplish such.

Looking at the two kit suppliers raises a question for me. One supplier features a regulator fixed to the out side of the gen unit together with a regulator at stand alone LP tank. The other supplier features a hose coming out of the gen set attaching to a stand alone LP tank with a regulator. Is there actually a second regulator concealed inside this generator housing?

Let’s say that I’m going to run the converted generator off the TT propane line. It already has a regulator. Does the generator need an additional one where it feeds to the carb? Or are 2 regulators better than 1? Or does the LP conversion require a proprietary regulator to the carb in addition to a customary regulator?

I’m not dazed, just confused.
Ed
Old 09-25-2008, 08:32 AM   #30
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
LONDON , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardinbb View Post
OK, so my question on the A/C is lame, as a 2k generator isn’t going to work. My main issue with getting a generator is to keep the batteries charged. My secondary issue is getting it to run on propane. That appears easy as kits are available to accomplish such.

Looking at the two kit suppliers raises a question for me. One supplier features a regulator fixed to the out side of the gen unit together with a regulator at stand alone LP tank. The other supplier features a hose coming out of the gen set attaching to a stand alone LP tank with a regulator. Is there actually a second regulator concealed inside this generator housing?

Let’s say that I’m going to run the converted generator off the TT propane line. It already has a regulator. Does the generator need an additional one where it feeds to the carb? Or are 2 regulators better than 1? Or does the LP conversion require a proprietary regulator to the carb in addition to a customary regulator?

I’m not dazed, just confused.
Ed
I have the Yamaha 2400 and the US Carb propane kit. It took a lot of searching to find the right hoses and fittings. Everyone I spoke to gave me a different story about what would and would not work. My objective was to get a hose set with quick release fittings that would let me run the Yamaha or Weber BabyQ off the trailer or directly from a propane tank.

Here is what I did:

Purchased the natural gas extension hose with quick release fittings from the BBQ department at Lowes. I then installed the US Carb kit on the Yamaha with the quick release fittings that matched the hose from Lowes. It also took about 4-5 brass fittings (use putty, not tape for the seals) to go from the US Carb regulator to the quick release fittings. The quick release fittings to have a flow direction and check all your fittings with soapy water when done.

It then took about 5 brass fittings from Lowes plumbing department to put a T just below the A frame of the trailer, after the trailer's regulator. I then ran a 3' hose from that T up into the space between the 30lb tanks. Now, I just lift the tank cover lid and have a quick release fitting right there that I can snap on to.

One large SOB RV dealer swore up and down that what I was doing would not work since you can't "double regulate" the gas flow. Well, it does work and I have probably 10 hours on the generator running on propane exactly the way they said wouldn't work.

So, I have a T after the trailer regulator and a quick release hose going to the generator. I then got more brass adapters so the BabyQ would also fit the quick release hose. So basically the generator and the BabyQ both get propane through the trailer regulator and then through a regulator attached to each device.

To give me the flexiblity to run either the generator off a 20 or 30lb tank, I installed a single $10 regulator from a trailer store on a brass fitting that screws into the propane tank. On the exit end of the regulator I purchased a quick release fitting for the hose. Now, I can snap the quick release hose onto the regulator attached to the propane tank.

All brass fittings were purchased from Lowe's plumbing department, the hose with quick releases was from the BBQ department at Lowe's, and the hose from the T on the trailer (3/8" fittings in each end) was purchased at a trailer supply store. Keep in mind that some brass fittings are pipe thread (they have a taper) and others are flare fit. Lowe's has a great selection of brass adapters so you can make exactly what you want.

I spent a ton of time running around to get everything but am really pleased with the flexibility it gives me. If you have any questions, just ask.
Old 09-25-2008, 02:09 PM   #31
3 Rivet Member

1964 24' Tradewind
Ya, that's what I want...MORE!

One large SOB RV dealer swore up and down that what I was doing would not work since you can't "double regulate" the gas flow. Well, it does work and I have probably 10 hours on the generator running on propane exactly the way they said wouldn't work.

That's a great set of guidelines and the flexibility you've created can't be beat. Where's the picture so you can share?

It's the 'double regulator' aspect that concerns me. Actually I would prefer just one regulator. The LP conversion installation demonstrated by Tim A. above at post #5 is the way I'd like to see the finish generator. I'd like to get away without a regulator hanging outside of the gen set.

So the question still stands, is the LP conversion regulator proprietary and required or not?

The issue of 'double regulator' is interesting. Other threads go on about how some of the best regulators or particular brands do not function correctly. Being ignorant on the tech of the matter, it would seem to me that the use of 2 regulators may enhance one another to get to where the system flow is supposed to be. Perhaps just from a safety vantage, 2 are better than one. Each of the LP kit suppliers, at one time or another, are showing 2 regulators. I guess the question should be directed at the supplier.

Have more fun,
Ed
Old 09-26-2008, 10:55 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Lafayette , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardinbb View Post
It's the 'double regulator' aspect that concerns me. Actually I would prefer just one regulator. The LP conversion installation demonstrated by Tim A. above at post #5 is the way I'd like to see the finish generator. I'd like to get away without a regulator hanging outside of the gen set.

Have more fun,
Ed
It is probably buried somewhere in my original posts, but I installed the "low-pressure" conversion, so the gas is fed from the trailer's gas bottles downstream of the trailer's regulator. I also installed a quick disconnect that is protected, but easy to get to. Due to my paranoia about gas, I also have a shutoff valve for the quick disconnect.
Tim A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 05:04 AM   #33
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
LONDON , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim A. View Post
It is probably buried somewhere in my original posts, but I installed the "low-pressure" conversion, so the gas is fed from the trailer's gas bottles downstream of the trailer's regulator. I also installed a quick disconnect that is protected, but easy to get to. Due to my paranoia about gas, I also have a shutoff valve for the quick disconnect.
Good point on the shutoff valve. I did put one on the short hose coming from the T on the a-frame so it is just before the quick release between the 2 propane tanks where I connect.
Old 09-30-2008, 07:43 PM   #34
3 Rivet Member

1964 24' Tradewind
Pre Conversion Episode

Hi All,
I thought it would be good to share with all y'all with whats I know and whats I don't know, which is plenty more than I do know....

I do know that my eu2000i arrived today and performed perfectly righ outs da box. I did put earl in it, gave her a couple of pulls to git the gas goin', and bingo, she fired rite up. By the time the conversion kit get here, I'll be gone with the trailer, so that will have to wait for a bit. I'm gonna go with the folks in Maine for the kit for as far as I can tell, they send you the kit and you return the carb off your unit back to them. Parts is parts, right?!

I got the generator off Ebay for $967 delivered with a DC charging cord. The seller also sells units directly from his website for $865.99 plus shiping. See www.newitemsforless.com .

Now, I live at 7000 feet. There's suppossed to be something like a 3.5% loss of power per 1000 feet of altitude, (not attitude as with me!) So I went ahead and plugged the gen set into my trailer that features a 30amp pigtail connected to 25ft of 15amp power cord run to the house. And then immediately went an turned on the AC, cause I just couldn't wait to see what would happen. And son of a gun, if that AC unit didn't fire right up and started blowin' cool air all over the place. Dang I said, how 'bout dem apples! The AC unit has a low, med, hi, setting and it did all three. Then I looked at the other dial for coldness and saw that the unit was at level 4 out of 7. So of course I cranked it up to 5 and the gen set overloaded. Actually the breaker in the 15amp power cord went off as did the indicator light on the gen set. Since I'm electrically challenged, the more breakers the better for me, so there's one on the power cord. (Do ya think that ifin' I had me a 20amp cord it would have stayed on?) Shazam that was cool that the unit kicked on! I switched to shore power and turned the AC knob to 5 and som'thing else kicked in on the unit, and then I cracked it up to 7. The air comin' out was the same temp, but a bit stronger in flow. So my AC unit, which size and age it is I don't know and can't find out, works on the 2000 watt gen set at level 4. So there.

What's wrong with this picture? Am I just LUCKY or stupid 'bout som'thin'?
Old 10-07-2008, 06:43 PM   #35
Rivet Master

1978 24' Argosy 24
Woodinville , Washington
First off your 2000 watt generator can't produce 20Amps. So, no the 20 Amp breaker would not trip; your generator would fry instead . Actually the generator has a breaker that should trip but there's really no point in having the second breaker. More is not better with breakers; either number in series and especially not oversizing the capacity. If you blow a properly sized breaker it's a sign something is wrong, very wrong. Changing the breaker scheme is not the right answer.

Running you're AC under such marginal conditions may shorten it's life considerably. While the breaker might not trip the voltage drop is likely immense. Hard on the electronics in the generator and the AC. When it gets hotter outisde the AC is going to be even harder to crank over. If you're determine to run the AC install the hard start kit (larger start capacitor) if it doesn't already have one.

-Bernie
bhayden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 01:14 PM   #36
3 Rivet Member

1964 24' Tradewind
Thank you Bernie for the reply and sorry for the delay. Yes I agree you're absolutely right. Again, we all know I am electrically challenged! I figured the AC unit, when I kicked the dial up a notch, drew more power (amps) than the gen set has. But I was thinking it was cool that the AC even kicked on. Nonetheless, I'll be good and leave the thing alone. We went to Lucerene, CA for a Cowboy shoot last week and although the ambient temp inside the trailer was like 90, it was, amazingly, still very nice. The fantastic fan did it's job and the generator not only handled the batteries very well, but my neighbor's Avion as well together with my gal's hairdryer. So all is well in the universe and the propane conversion is slowly progressing. Thanks, all,
Ed