Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar > Generators & Solar Power
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-11-2016, 06:22 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Hillsborough , North Carolina
Low Voltage Disconnect - Parallel Honda Generator One out of Fuel

Anyone use a low voltage disconnect device when running Two Honda eu2000i in parallel to prevent low voltage when one generator runs out of gas and the Air conditioner kicks in?
While there are a huge number of threads on airforum about how people have run the 13,5000 Air Conditioner on a single eu200i, For the purpose of this thread, Assume that there is another device running such as might be the refrigerator/converter as an example. So the single eu2000i is remaining, and the load is above rated 2000 max /1600 steady state:
Does anyone use a low voltage disconnect to protect the motor of the Air Conditioner?
GeeSag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 09:03 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Santa Fe , New Mexico
You might need a low voltage disconnect that does NOT disconnect if it detects a floating ground. Mine does so I don't use it withe the generator.

"It's supposed to be a challenge, that's why they call it a shortcut. If it was easy it would just be 'the way'." ~ Rubin, "Road Trip"
Old 07-14-2016, 09:33 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Sandy , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeSag View Post
Anyone use a low voltage disconnect device when running Two Honda eu2000i in parallel to prevent low voltage when one generator runs out of gas and the Air conditioner kicks in?
While there are a huge number of threads on airforum about how people have run the 13,5000 Air Conditioner on a single eu200i, For the purpose of this thread, Assume that there is another device running such as might be the refrigerator/converter as an example. So the single eu2000i is remaining, and the load is above rated 2000 max /1600 steady state:
Does anyone use a low voltage disconnect to protect the motor of the Air Conditioner?
This happened to me a couple of weeks ago. The Honda that was still running detected the overload and tripped it's own internal disconnect. The AC unit shut itself down as well. I refueled both of them and they reset automatically.
rocco52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 09:54 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Sandy , Utah
One thing I need to add. When I start them both I let them run a bit to warm up and then check the indicator lights on the front to make sure they are producing AC. Then I go in the trailer and start the AC. On the flip side, I turn off the AC before shutting down the Honda's. I also run them in Ecco mode. They idle until the AC compressor startup demand is received and you can hear them ramp up to handle it. Running the AC and the Converter in 90 degree weather they both use about one tank/1 gallon every 5 hours.
rocco52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 12:28 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2000 30' Excella
Toledo , Ohio
Add a 6 gallon gas tank to them and they will run for a long time mine ran 12 hrs. and used 3 gallons of gas with the AC running .
woodfox45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 12:56 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vero Beach , Florida
I use the CAMCO defender and I'm happy with it. It does not disconnect power for certain conditions (e.g.: open neutral) but it does alert to them. It does disconnect for low or high voltage.

Here's an issue to consider. This CAMCO will attempt to reconnect power once voltage is returned to normal. So, if one Honda dies and the voltage drops it will disconect. Once the AC load has been removed, the Honda will restore normal voltage as viewed by the surge protector. It will reconnect power, the AC will attempt to start and the whole process will start over with a low voltage trip.

Maybe someone makes a surge protector with low voltage shutoff that trips itself and does not attempt and automatic reset. I think that's what you'll need.

I run both of my Honda's of a single propane source. If one dies, they both die. That's another solution.
GammaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 03:32 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2010 20' Flying Cloud
Hailey , Idaho
on a tangent...foolishly let my Honda companion unit run out of gas. Tried for an hour to get it started again after fillup...nothing. Turned out the spark plug had some carbon in the gap (after only two seasons) and the plug was fouled. Just a heads-up in case that happens to you....its a simple thing to check and fix in the field. jon
B00merang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 07:01 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1970 25' Tradewind
anderson , South carolina
Honda 2000's

I use two honda 2000s and run the 13,500 ac (old model) and high start up amps. Run one on energy saving mode and one not. One units does fine with refrig. On electric and converter charging the 2000
On economic only kicks in on ac start up. Both Hondas are fed fuel from a 6 gal fuel tank with with y section in fuel line. All works great. Good set up. Toaster
Bob Cooke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 07:06 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1970 25' Tradewind
anderson , South carolina
Honda 2000's in parallel

I use two honda 2000s and run the 13,500 ac (old model) and high start up amps. Run one on energy saving mode and one not. One units does fine with refrig. On electric and converter charging the 2000
On economic only kicks in on ac start up. Both Hondas are fed fuel from a 6 gal fuel tank with with y section in fuel line. All works great. Goog set up. Toaster
Bob Cooke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 06:09 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
FREDERICK , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodfox45 View Post
Add a 6 gallon gas tank to them and they will run for a long time mine ran 12 hrs. and used 3 gallons of gas with the AC running .
This is what I use as well , I can get 12+ hours even in 100+ degree weather.
http://www.ipiindustries.com/service...ded-run-tank-1
Doc Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 08:03 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vero Beach , Florida
Switch to LP

Quote:
Originally Posted by B00merang View Post
on a tangent...foolishly let my Honda companion unit run out of gas. Tried for an hour to get it started again after fillup...nothing. Turned out the spark plug had some carbon in the gap (after only two seasons) and the plug was fouled. Just a heads-up in case that happens to you....its a simple thing to check and fix in the field. jon
For what it's worth... If you google something like "Honda generator won't start" and start reading random forum posts from around the web you'll see that 90%+ of the issues are related to gasoline... especially ethanol spiked gas. There are several pluses to converting to LP. One of the three big reasons is reliability. My generators sometimes sit for months in a hot Florida garage. I don't prep them in any way for storage. They have never failed to start. Since the kits I used are trifuel, I can always use gas if that's all I've got and if I don't mind the reliability hit... or the smelly fuel... or the risk of spill and explosion under my tonneau.

And to the OPs topic, most of us carry plenty of propane.
GammaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 09:34 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodfox45 View Post
Ditto:

Click image for larger version

Name:	6 gal tank.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	198.1 KB
ID:	266828

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote