Old 11-15-2014, 09:02 AM   #1
KCN
3 Rivet Member

1962 26' Overlander
Jackson , Wyoming
Looking for Electrical System Gurus

I don't usually post outside my restoration thread, because I really don't like posting in general and the only reason I do that thread is to prove to myself that I'm actually making progress. So please bear with me, but I need some outside-the-box thinkers here. So here's a copy of my post in my restoration thread, reaching out to those of you that are not into the resto-vintage world.

I'm contemplating purchasing my trailer's power system this winter and using components of it/familiarizing myself with how it all works before I install it. The reasons for this are two:

1) I'm now living (with my dogs) in a snowbound cabin for the winter and will likely need some external power generation when the power goes out. And I got about 18 inches of snow yesterday and the power has faltered several times already. I'm looking at the Honda eu2000i and possibly a companion to wire in series. Thoughts on these generators anyone?

2) the cabin has a fantastic, rarely-used greenhouse (pictured), and since I have used cold frames/hoop houses successfully in the winter, I'd like to try my hand at deep-winter growing. I would like to get some solar panels that I can use now and take with me for my trailer when I move on in the spring. The power from the panels would operate a small 12v fan, maybe grow lights, as well as a small greenhouse heater that would turn on automatically at specific temperatures. The Overlander has ample roof space for at least 4 panels, although I will likely only get two for now and mount them in a portable frame. I'm looking at the 100 watt panels by Renogy...?

I figure this would be good practice for me with all the electronics, figuring out amps/watts/volts/generators/inverters/converters/batteries - all that stuff that's totally new to me without screwing up my trailer or burning anything down. So any thoughts on the setup, what I'm needing, what I'm overlooking, would be appreciated! I can get stuff delivered no problem - just have to ski/snowshoe out to the main road and drag it in on a sled for a quarter mile!

Thanks for any feedback...

KC
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3349.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	181.2 KB
ID:	226570  

Old 11-15-2014, 09:16 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Looking for Electrical System Gurus

Look for "The 12 volt side of life" on the Internet.
Unless you have air conditioning, micro wave, hair dryer, a 2,000 watt generator will be enough.
A 45 amp converter will be plenty for your coach.

Sent from my iPod touch using Airstream Forums

Old 11-17-2014, 12:33 PM   #3
KCN
3 Rivet Member

1962 26' Overlander
Jackson , Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by TG Twinkie View Post
Look for "The 12 volt side of life" on the Internet.
Unless you have air conditioning, micro wave, hair dryer, a 2,000 watt generator will be enough.
A 45 amp converter will be plenty for your coach.

Sent from my iPod touch using Airstream Forums

Thank you TG Twinkie. I'm planning on having most of the things you mentioned in the trailer when it's done, so that's good to know. Sorry for asking questions that are probably answered ad nauseum elsewhere.

For the purposes of selecting my generator now, I really only need to be able to operate a small fireplace-style propane furnace (Archgard 45-OF). It runs the fan and electronic ignition/thermostat off a standard 120vac outlet.

So I believe I will get the Honda eu2000i - and I believe I will also order the extended-run gas tank. That tank is more for the conditions I might encounter this winter than for my anticipated use in the trailer. The dual feed tank option isn't that much more expensive, and I would be able to use it with the companion if I decide to go that route later.

Solar is on hold for now.

KCN