Old 12-13-2006, 11:13 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
1972 29' Ambassador
St. Paul , Minnesota
I ended up buying a Kipor 'silent' inverter pure-sine generator off ebay; 2500 watt (2.3 KVa rated, 2.6 surge) suitcase style for $740 shipped. The Kipor is a Honda clone made under license; it has simpler design from piston rings or bushings substituted for bearings but is still a Honda design. I have not tried to start an RV AC unit with it, my AS isn't so equipped.

The eu2000 is a 1600watt and 2000w surge unit and weighs twelve pounds less than the Kipor unit. As noted above the Honda simply has too many "STEAL ME" flags built into it and I'd never feel comfortable leaving it unattended, also when I got mine I also purchased the Kipor 3500 (eu3000 clone) for my parents as rural home backup and got both units for less than the eu3000 alone. ($1600 delivered cost)

Kipor is just now getting a true North American brand presence so look for model numbers that reflect the true output if you don't want the slightly 'grey market' versions; mine is the KGE 3000ti. They are on eBay now for a $60 premium over which I made my 'best offer' buy.

If you have the money go with Honda, I know an eu3000i that went 12,000+ hours before needing replacement, and same ranch has run an eu2000 for over 6000 hours, both without major breakdowns - but for budget purchasers do consider the Kipor units!

Wabbiteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 11:21 AM   #16
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Louisville , earth
Send a message via Yahoo to Boondocker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wabbiteer
I ended up buying a Kipor 'silent' inverter pure-sine generator off ebay; 2500 watt (2.3 KVa rated, 2.6 surge) suitcase style for $740 shipped. The Kipor is a Honda clone made under license; it has simpler design from piston rings or bushings substituted for bearings but is still a Honda design. I have not tried to start an RV AC unit with it, my AS isn't so equipped.

How many hours do you have on yours? I am waiting to see how they hold up.

Visit my photography page
and the
Favorite camp grounds project map
My Blog

(The artist formerly known as General Disarray)

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 11:36 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
1972 29' Ambassador
St. Paul , Minnesota
Honestly? I ran unit for 12 hours with resistance heater load and changed oil to Mobil1, since then I only used unit to power electric chainsaw (another boondock wish-list puchase) to clean up along an alley right-of-way for three neighbors and made back a third of the purchase price; used a tank+ of fuel for that so about 18 hours.

Only problem so far was fit-and-finish on the air cleaner housing, it looks like a cheap 1960's japanese plastic toy mold forming but is hidden under sexy outer housing. Some razor blade action was required for positive detent on its latch (two latches versus Hondas' four?)

While standing next to it, a silent inverter suitcase generator sure has got the oddest sound-vibration when under load - like standing next to an accelerating slow-speed freight train locomotive. The sound dampening housing & design attenuates the 1000-12000Hz sounds we hear best into lower frequencies, the Honda does it too...

Wabbiteer is offline   Reply With Quote