Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar > Generators & Solar Power
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-27-2015, 09:24 PM   #41
2020 Classic 33

Box Elder , South Dakota
Patton

Since I have a Magnum Hybrid I use the ME-RC control head which includes battery monitoring and lots of other functions.

The momentary push switch is mounted up next to my BluRay player. I seldom use it.

Monitor is from Elite ($50) and includes cabling and power connection in one cable from the monitor until it splits. Makes it pretty clean to install.
ghaynes755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 11:23 PM   #42
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Austin , Texas
ghaynes755,

My confusion was that your picture looks like the TFT LCD monitor that BoldAdventure provided a link for. The Elite web site shows a plain LCD monitor with a cable only for power. Elite probably hasn't bothered to update their web site.

Also since you said you used the Magnum BMK, did the BMK and Elite both use the same shunt? Did you find the state of charge calculated by the BMK to roughly match the state of charge from the Elite monitor? If not, which one was more accurate.

The BMK is an option for Magnum inverter/chargers and only uses the ME-RC as a display device. Unless the Elite state of charge is not very accurate, then I do not see the need for a BMK. I must be missing something.
pattonsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 02:02 AM   #43
2020 Classic 33

Box Elder , South Dakota
Single shunt but I've never said I am using a BMK. Haven't had one on either of the solar setups. I use the Elite screen and the IPN readouts.

No idea where Elite sources their monitors and just looked at the link from Bold. Looks like it might be the same. Not worth chasing down for saving $25 on a multi thousand lithium setup. One stop shopping with Elite.
Old 11-28-2015, 09:19 AM   #44
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Doesn't have to cost multi-thousand dollar. But oh yeah, you will pay for this project.

I just started working on disassembly of the packs into their individual cells yesterday. I'll start my own thread though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixedpuppy View Post
ghaynes755, the EMS you have from Elite Power Solutions has over and under voltage protection circuits that can drive a contactor relay (similar but not the same to the battery disconnect, one each for over[OV] and under[UV]). If you don't have the battery isolated by those circuits and you over or under charge the batter, you're warranty wont be valid. Elite warned me of this more than once while I was working out the electrical. The solution I came up with unfortunately also takes 0.4amp continuous power for each contactor.

I plan on having a 350A/12V continuous duty solenoid, UV control. Opens if any cell falls below 2.8 volts. On the negative side after the shunt. On the positive side I'll have another one with OV control. It will before PV and the Inverter positive but after all 12v positive loads. And that will isolate the battery in both directions.
Old 11-28-2015, 09:24 AM   #45
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Just like Christmas Eve - some assembly required.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 09:36 AM   #46
Full Time Adventurer

Nomadic , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by switz View Post
Just like Christmas Eve - some assembly required.
I like the AM Solar install method (your pictures) over the Precision job personally. Looks cleaner.

So I plan on arranging my cells myself and then securing them in a box similar so I can maximize my space.
Old 11-28-2015, 10:22 AM   #47
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Austin , Texas
ghaynes755,

You said previously "Since I have a Magnum Hybrid I use the ME-RC control head which includes battery monitoring and lots of other functions".

Battery monitoring is shown on the ME-RC only if the BMK is installed. Are you trying to say that you have an SOC shown on the ME-RC without the BMK?
pattonsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 11:27 AM   #48
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
The 600 amp-hour battery in the Classic beside the Magnum and under the front sofa of the Classic.

The 300 amp-hour battery before the plexiglas cover in the 23D between the street side wheel well and the furnace.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2253 3.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	252982   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2593.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	252983  

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 12:00 PM   #49
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
One of the reasons AM Solar uses the SinoPoly cells is the solid copper interconnects between the cells that use heavy bolts over the much smaller hex screws found on the Elite cells.

These cells also allow for direct connection of heavy cable eyelets to the battery terminals directly, without the use of adapters.

Lew Farber
RVIA/RVDA Nationally Certified Master Tech
Master Tech Energy Systems, Inc.
AM Solar Certified Installation Center
Lifeline Batteries**Magnum Inverters
541-490-6357
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 12:30 PM   #50
Full Time Adventurer

Nomadic , USA
All of the prismatic batteries use those terminals, except for the GBS.

Anyone curious in the color coding:

Fluxpower/Voltronix cells come in Green and Yellow.
CALB cells come in either Blue or Gray.
Winston Battery cells come in Yellow.
Sinopoly cells come in either Yellow, Green or Black.
Realforce cells come in either Black or White.
GBS cells can be found in either Yellow or a Blue-ish hue.
Hipower cells come in White.

GBS seems to be the only one with the 4 hex screws, they claim it's a more secure connection with no stress on the connector. Take that as marketing.

I am bolting a copper bar straight to them.

PS: Naturally I found this after I purchased the GBS Cells: http://www.canev.com/batteries.php
Old 11-30-2015, 09:41 AM   #51
Full Time Adventurer

Nomadic , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster View Post
One of the reasons AM Solar uses the SinoPoly cells is the solid copper interconnects between the cells that use heavy bolts over the much smaller hex screws found on the Elite cells.

These cells also allow for direct connection of heavy cable eyelets to the battery terminals directly, without the use of adapters.
Correction here, the GBS batteries do feature the same screw holes, but only on the 3rd generation 200Ah cells. Also should be noted that uses the 200Ah cells takes up less space than AMSolar's 400Ah setup which uses 16 100Ah cells.

That being said, I chose the 100Ah cells because of the $500 cost difference at the end of the day.
Old 11-30-2015, 04:58 PM   #52
2020 Classic 33

Box Elder , South Dakota
Quote:
Originally Posted by pattonsr View Post
ghaynes755,

You said previously "Since I have a Magnum Hybrid I use the ME-RC control head which includes battery monitoring and lots of other functions".

Battery monitoring is shown on the ME-RC only if the BMK is installed. Are you trying to say that you have an SOC shown on the ME-RC without the BMK?
See post 42.
Old 11-30-2015, 09:42 PM   #53
Full Time Adventurer

Nomadic , USA
Phase 1, battery layout and compartment building

Eventually, this space will be fully enclosed.

Old 12-14-2015, 10:33 AM   #54
Full Time Adventurer

Nomadic , USA
Question

This question is for the OP and anyone else with Lithiums combined with a Blue Sky Solar Controller and IPN Pro remote

I'm curious about your settings for these inside the advanced menu settings:

SET MAX BAT VOLTS

then inside charge settings

SET ACCEPT CHG

SET FLOAT CHG

SET EQUALIZE CHG

SET T-COMP (no clue what this even is for)
Mine is 05.00mV/C/C

SET FLOAT CURRENT

SET ACCEPT TIME
Old 12-14-2015, 12:42 PM   #55
2 Rivet Member

2011 27' FB Flying Cloud
Delmar , New York
Attached is the setup guide AM Solar sent me for the Blue Sky systems. I only have AGM's but the chart also has all the values they recommend for lithium.

If I remember right T-Comp is the slope of the temperature compensation curve.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf IPN-ProRemote Guide Menus.pdf (1.11 MB, 75 views)
kenen42 is offline   Reply With Quote