Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-29-2011, 07:56 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2008 30' Classic
Tampa , Florida
Lifting 170 pound generator in and out of pickup bed? Any suggestions.

I've decided to get a generator and prefer to have a single unit that will allow the use of the air conditioner. The only issue is that when it is full of fuel it weighs 170 pounds, My back won't allow that any longer. I've thought about a hitch mounted winch or possibly a ramp. Has anyone out there come up with an easy solution to this problem? Jerry.
Old 03-29-2011, 07:58 AM   #2
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
I don't have one for that very reason.

Many people put them in the back of the truck once and then leave them there.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 08:07 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2004 28' International CCD
Birmingham , Alabama
I changed to a Honda 3000 Handi generator (77 lbs) ... it's lighter, smaller and much easier to handle than my older 3000 (135 lbs).

Sent from my iPhone using AIR Forums
UAPachyderm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 08:35 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1965 22' Safari
Vassar , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandits View Post
I've decided to get a generator and prefer to have a single unit that will allow the use of the air conditioner. The only issue is that when it is full of fuel it weighs 170 pounds, My back won't allow that any longer. I've thought about a hitch mounted winch or possibly a ramp. Has anyone out there come up with an easy solution to this problem? Jerry.
I use a Honda 3000 and it is heavy at 135lbs. I like the elect. start, large fuel tank, one of the quietest on the market and seems to always start. At the beginning of my towing season I use an appliance dolly and ramp to raise it into the truck bed. I chain it in and it stays there until I put the TT away for winter. When I want to use it I just roll back the bed cover.
Attached Images

Everyday is a Saturday
tkasten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 08:44 AM   #5
Slide-Out Society #107

2006 30' Classic S/O
Bloomington , Indiana
I use the same motorcycle ramp that I use to load my motorcycle in the pick-up bed. It is aluminum and about 3 feet wide when unfolded (it folds down to 1 foot when traveling) and has a flat even surface with 1 inch holes punched it. I am able to push it up the ramp (all be it with the assistance of my wife). But it works to load and unload fairly easily. I have the KIPOR 6000 and it weighs in at over 200 lbs.
dart110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 08:48 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
motorcycle ramp, and the smallest electric winch you can find (check harbor freight). Run an extension cord and buy an aftermarket 7 way. Wire that to an extension on the winch, so that you can use your car's battery through the 7way to power your winch. Mount the winch with HVAC straps to the generator, and put the hook somewhere in your vehicle.
robwok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 08:56 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
... , ...
I will be installing a Onan in my 2005 30’ classic in the next month or two (have actually started and have the relay switch installed). It will work off the propane system and will be controlled by a switch inside.

Currently trying to figure out how to extend the propane lines to the bedroom. This is an issue because of the axles and water/holding tanks.

Didn’t really think anyone would be interested here. Guess I could, if there is interest, document the process …
GetOutDoors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 08:59 AM   #8
Rot-Roo Rastro!!

2020 30' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
We purchased two small Honda generators (and then purchased the cables to tie their output together) to get the watts we need. There will be some loss but I think it is worth it. It increases the cost but it saves my bad back.
AIR #12075
silversled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 09:08 AM   #9
Usually lost

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Maricopa , Arizona
I have a Yamaha 3000 and use a 1 ton chain hoist (Harbor Freight) attached to the header on my garage door. I just raise it up and drive the pickup under it. Works very well and takes up little room.
Cally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 09:22 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Oxford, , Mississippi
Champion makes a 2k gen that you can stack with another and have 4K. Sam's club has them for less than $500 each. Two are about the same cost as one Honda 2K. Yes they are made in China, but there are lots of review on different RV sites and most folks like them and have gotten good service. My son bought a 3500K model for emergency power at his home and it runs great and starts on the first pull (great price at Tractor Supply). Good thing about two is that if you just need a gen set to charge the battery and won't be running the AC, you only need to take one with you. Down side of having two is obvious. I have not made up my mind yet as to which route I am going to take because I need a gen for summer camping at my farm.
68 Trade Wind
2001 Toyota Tundra
68 TWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 09:46 AM   #11
tpi
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Trabuco Canyon , California
I use a ramp, back the truck up to my sloped driveway and ramp it in. Very easy. I leave in in the pickup for the entire trip. But if I had to get it out in emergency, just one other guy and I can lift it in and out using the handles. I have not found the weight of the Yamaha 3000 to be any issue at all because of the wheels. I much prefer having the larger gas tank and long run time.

Automakers cool option for truck: How about built in underbed 3000 watt inverter generator? It would be great for campers, contractors, et.
tpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 01:30 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2008 30' Classic
Tampa , Florida
Thanks for the response. I plan to get the 3000 watt Yamaha with the boost capability. For this trip I'll probably just leave it in the bed, on the tailgate with the tonneu cap raised. By the next trip I plan to have a hitch mounted winch that will allow me to lift the generator off the tailgate and swing it around to set it on the ground. I already know how I'm going to build it but I've run out of time for this trip. Jerry.
Old 03-29-2011, 01:38 PM   #13
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by GetOutDoors View Post
I will be installing a Onan in my 2005 30’ classic in the next month or two (have actually started and have the relay switch installed). It will work off the propane system and will be controlled by a switch inside.

Currently trying to figure out how to extend the propane lines to the bedroom. This is an issue because of the axles and water/holding tanks.

Didn’t really think anyone would be interested here. Guess I could, if there is interest, document the process …
Why don't you go ahead and start another thread? As long as you have lots of photos, you will get good traffic.
Old 03-29-2011, 01:59 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

1973 23' Safari
Bethlehem , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by robwok View Post
motorcycle ramp, and the smallest electric winch you can find (check harbor freight). Run an extension cord and buy an aftermarket 7 way. Wire that to an extension on the winch, so that you can use your car's battery through the 7way to power your winch. Mount the winch with HVAC straps to the generator, and put the hook somewhere in your vehicle.
Hi Robwok,

My husband would like to know where you purchased your motorcycle ramp. If you could let us know that would be great.

Ellen
Rawfoodgirl3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 02:18 PM   #15
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by GetOutDoors View Post

Are you KIDDING?

Of course we're interested. Much more interesting than another floor repair.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 03:24 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2008 19' International CCD
Spring , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by silversled View Post
We purchased two small Honda generators (and then purchased the cables to tie their output together) to get the watts we need. There will be some loss but I think it is worth it. It increases the cost but it saves my bad back.
Ditto; we did the same thing; even the wife can lift them. Also; 2 Honda 2000s hooked up in parallel will run your AC.

Ed
eleighj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 03:57 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Went on caravan with a lady that had a big generator. She had a little lift with a winch that fit in one of the back the stake sockets of the truck. Worked like a charm.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 04:24 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

1995 30' Excella
Logan , New Mexico
What Silversled and Eleighj said.
Dodge 2500 Diesel-Tow Vehicle
Old 04-04-2011, 10:05 AM   #19
Slide-Out Society #107

2006 30' Classic S/O
Bloomington , Indiana
The ramp I bought is a Lund ATV/Motorcycle ramp. It is about 6 1/2 feet long and the (mostly) solid surface makes it easy to load the generator and the motorcycle. It is also short enough too sit in the pick-up bed. I originally purchased mine at a "Cycle Gear" Store in Salem Oregon. But there are alot of options out there with the internet...of course.
dart110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 10:18 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1992 34' Excella
Austin , Texas
Northern Industrial Pickup Truck Crane — 1000-Lb. Capacity | Truck Cranes | Northern Tool + Equipment
"Rancho Deluxe"
Crusty is offline   Reply With Quote