Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar > Generators & Solar Power
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-24-2014, 05:16 AM   #41
3 Rivet Member

2013 20' Flying Cloud
Cream Ridge , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkmagikca View Post
That Pickup Truck Crane has possibilities. However, my TV is a Dodge Ram 2500 diesel with a cap over the bed - I do carry quite a bit of stuff in the back (tools, generator, small bbq etc,) as I part-time for 5 months over the winter in the Sonora desert.
I used to remove my generator from the pick up bed and run it on the ground but as you get older, the more work you have to do when you get to your campsite the more PITA camping becomes. I purchased a full 4' x 8' bed slide for the pick up bed. I carry my Honda 3000 strapped down on the back end of the slide. When I want to run the gen I just open the cap and tailgate and pull the slide out just past the end of the tailgate and run the generator right where it is. The bed slide pulls out far enough to reach all the rest of the camping gear that's stores in front of the gen without climbing into the truck. If I need the gen in bad weather I can run it inside the truck bed by tying the cap door partially open and open the side vents to allow enough ventilation for the engine to exhaust and breathe. This scenario has worked well for us and I would not give up my bed slide for anything. We got a new TV this year and I even removed the bed slide from the old one and reinstalled it in the new one. I have not seen a better solution to the generator, camping gear storage problem anywhere to date.
Joe Palmieri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 05:57 AM   #42
Rivet Master

Wow, this thread has been going on for almost 3 years and people are still trying to figure out how to lift a 170lbs generator into the back of a truck. Maybe I'm just a dumb old country boy, but would think the best way would be just to take three really strong guys camping with you to lift it in and out ;-)

Enjoy,
Old 09-16-2020, 08:00 AM   #43
Engineer

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
SENATOBIA , Mississippi
I had a truck with the Tommy Gate and it worked great. Just hit a button to raise and lower the tailgate.
wwwtractor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 08:41 AM   #44
3 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Bullard,Lake Palestine , Texas
ramp

another vote for using motorcycle ramps
Old 09-16-2020, 09:15 AM   #45
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
I use a hydraulic table from Harbor Freight. You need the 1000# version because the 500# doesn't go quite high enough. Wait for a 20% off coupon.
I roll the cart with the generator on it to the tailgate, wiggle the genie in, and lower the table. The generator lives on the lowered table in the garage if it's not in the truck bed.

That table is built like a tank, never a problem.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 10:00 AM   #46
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Thumbs up

I have 12 volt winch mounted on side of cross bed tool box. Box reinforced with 1/2 plywood inside, then have full sheet 1/2 plywood that will slide in to bed w/out any cuts, mounted 2x3 on edge and on [flat side] edge of plywood, eye bolts into one end of 2x3, [stiffens plywood no flex], use motorcycle straps hooked into eyes and into side rails mounted on top of bed sides. Easy winch up then reverse to unload. After gen. on tailgate slide plywood under gen. into bed strap gen. down when loaded. [bed liner makes things slide easy]. I also use to load other stuff, very easy. I'm 86 yrs. old struggle to lift 50 lbs. this method no fuss or strain. Also you could use loops in front both sides of bed to secure straps to winch in. In have fancy shiny stainless rails on bed sides, easy hook up straps only need to hold plywood when unloading.
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 07:20 AM   #47
Rivet Master

1987 32' Excella
Nepean , Ontario
After much thought and a 50% off sale at Harbor Freight, I bought the basic pickup truck crane. It is bolted through the bed to the frame and it uses a hydaulic bottle jack to activate the lift. As I get older I find that I don't have the strength to lift the 3000 watt generator into the bed of the truck without the assistance of the crane. A good investment for me - $99 for the crane & $90 to have it properly installed.
1999 Dodge Ram 2500HD Diesel
WBCCI 8080
blkmagikca is offline   Reply With Quote