Old 04-28-2011, 10:46 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
AW

Do you use a fan in your truck bed to cool and ventilate the generator? Since you have plenty of power there to operate any kind of fan that you want to. If not, it would be interesting to measure the inside cap temperature with and without the fan operating. I suspect running a fan would drop the cap temperature by at least 30-40 degrees. The generator would run much cooler also due to the cooler air temperature and the forced convection from the air flow.

Dan

Old 04-29-2011, 02:21 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
1999 34' Excella
Davidson County, NC , Highlands County, FL
no fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TouringDan View Post
AW

Do you use a fan in your truck bed to cool and ventilate the generator? Since you have plenty of power there to operate any kind of fan that you want to. If not, it would be interesting to measure the inside cap temperature with and without the fan operating. I suspect running a fan would drop the cap temperature by at least 30-40 degrees. The generator would run much cooler also due to the cooler air temperature and the forced convection from the air flow.

Dan
No, I never used a fan. I thought about it the first few times I did this, but it did not seem necessary. I sometimes open the tailgate, but most of the time I close that too. If I am near someone else I try to keep the tailgate closed since that seems to dampen the sound somewhat. With the two side vents and the rear hatch open on the cap, pointing the exhaust to the exterior seems to give it enough circulation/air flow to disipate the heat and exhaust.

A few weeks ago I bought a 2k Honda. It will be interesting to see if there will be a heat buildup when I use this smaller generator on the next trip. We are heading to the Blue Ridge Parkway sometime mid next week.

Old 04-29-2011, 05:36 PM   #31
2 Rivet Member

1987 31' Excella
Lake City , Florida
jerry honda makes a suit case 3.0 generator /50lbs./i3000/i means you can use your pc.alsos uper quite & very easy on fuel. it is a little pricie 1800/ check this out on the web. yamaha makes one also. good luck RB
Old 05-08-2011, 04:06 PM   #32
3 Rivet Member

2006 34' Classic
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Dog Ramp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandits View Post
I've decided to get a generator and prefer to have a single unit that will allow the use of the air conditioner. The only issue is that when it is full of fuel it weighs 170 pounds, My back won't allow that any longer. I've thought about a hitch mounted winch or possibly a ramp. Has anyone out there come up with an easy solution to this problem? Jerry.

Jerry,

We use the PetSTEP Folding Pet Ramp that we got from Amazon for our Yamaha 3500 . It has a rubberized surface and folds in half. Makes loading/unloading the genset a one person job.The folding feature makes easy to store in the bed of the truck.

'shaker
fr8tshaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 04:40 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2005 31' Classic
Cleveland , Tennessee
We've been considering a generator, and I ran across this new model from Honda, has any one bought & used one? It's appealing, mainly b/c of the lighter weight! Thanks, Terry.

NEW! EU3000i Handi™ Portable Honda Generator

• NEW FEATURE! Honda’s lightest, most portable 3000 watt generator
  • NEW FEATURE! Built-in wheels, tow handle and fixed offset lift handles
  • 3000 watts max. (25 amps), 2600 watts rated (21.7 amps) 120-volt AC
  • 12-volt DC output 100 watts (8.3 amps)
  • NEW SMALLER SIZE! Dimensions 24.5”L x 14.875”W x 19.5”H
  • Weighs 77.6 lbs.
  • 163cc Honda GX160 single cylinder OHC air cooled engine
  • 7.7 hrs. run time at 1/4 load, 3.6 hrs. at rated load
  • Tank capacity 1.56 gallons
  • 57 dB at 1/4 load, 65 dB at rated load
  • Works in parallel with another EU3000i Handi™ portable generator models only (cables #25929)
  • Recoil start

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will take you there." Lewis Carroll

AIR #38011
TAC TN-4
NOVA
Steelegood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 08:02 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Terry... The Handi model has been our about 2 years or longer I think...there is a lot of discussion about them... Search for "handi" and most of them will come up... They are pretty nice, but we ended up getting 2 Honda 2000s as they fit our needs better...
AirForums #21900 . Membership Chair, 4C
Unit #3954
Travel Log: AZBambi...On the Road Again
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 04:59 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
Fort Myers , Florida
I have a 74# unit but I bought a solid alum. ramp at Harbor Freight and a dolly. This works for more than just the gen too. The ramp is fairly heavy but I only use it for loading at home so far. BTW, I do not know your power needs but my gen will run one AC and some other small things concurrently just fine. The 2400isHC will start and run a 13,500 BTU AC.
Old 02-22-2014, 10:24 AM   #36
Rivet Master

1987 32' Excella
Nepean , Ontario
I like the idea of the hoist, and had been considering getting one of the ones that it used to lift power wheelchairs; they are a mini-crane.

What I am currently using is a pair of steel ramps I bought on sale from Harbor Freight along with their 3,050 watt generator. I had mounted some wheels on the generator so facilitate moving it around. When I first got the generator a couple of years ago I was able to lift it onto the tailgate myself, but as I get older that task is getting too difficult (age sucks!!!).
1999 Dodge Ram 2500HD Diesel
blkmagikca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 11:24 AM   #37
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkmagikca View Post
What I am currently using is a pair of steel ramps I bought on sale from Harbor Freight along with their 3,050 watt generator.
Speaking of Harbor Freight, this might fit your needs:Pickup Truck Crane - 1/2 Ton Capacity.

It's manual, not electric, but it folds down into the pickup bed, and shouldn't require any more effort than a hydraulic jack for changing a flat tire. You might be able to remove the hand crank and use a portable electric drill to crank it up and down, if necessary.

Note: If you get one, don't mount it the way they show in the picture, with it tucked up under the side rail. That will limit the swing because the crank will hit the edge of the pickup bed. Mount it a little bit closer to the pickup's centerline, so that the outboard edge of the base plate is in line with the inboard edge of the side rail. That will give you an increased swing radius before the crank handle hits something.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 01:13 AM   #38
Rivet Master

1987 32' Excella
Nepean , Ontario
That Pickup Truck Crane has possibilities. However, my TV is a Dodge Ram 2500 diesel with a cap over the bed - I do carry quite a bit of stuff in the back (tools, generator, small bbq etc,) as I part-time for 5 months over the winter in the Sonora desert.
1999 Dodge Ram 2500HD Diesel
blkmagikca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 05:36 AM   #39
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' International
2014 30' Flying Cloud
Los alamos , New Mexico
Will a 3,000 run both Airconditioners 50 amp or just the one?
Old 02-24-2014, 06:06 AM   #40
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
That Pickup Truck Crane has possibilities. However, my TV is a Dodge Ram 2500 diesel with a cap over the bed - I do carry quite a bit of stuff in the back (tools, generator, small bbq etc,) as I part-time for 5 months over the winter in the Sonora desert.
In that case, allow me to suggest a pickup liftgate:
Tommy Gate - The Original Hydraulic Lift - Liftgates - Pickup
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 06:16 AM   #41
3 Rivet Member

2013 20' Flying Cloud
Cream Ridge , New Jersey
Quote:
I used to remove my generator from the pick up bed and run it on the ground but as you get older, the more work you have to do when you get to your campsite the more PITA camping becomes. I purchased a full 4' x 8' bed slide for the pick up bed. I carry my Honda 3000 strapped down on the back end of the slide. When I want to run the gen I just open the cap and tailgate and pull the slide out just past the end of the tailgate and run the generator right where it is. The bed slide pulls out far enough to reach all the rest of the camping gear that's stores in front of the gen without climbing into the truck. If I need the gen in bad weather I can run it inside the truck bed by tying the cap door partially open and open the side vents to allow enough ventilation for the engine to exhaust and breathe. This scenario has worked well for us and I would not give up my bed slide for anything. We got a new TV this year and I even removed the bed slide from the old one and reinstalled it in the new one. I have not seen a better solution to the generator, camping gear storage problem anywhere to date.
Old 02-24-2014, 06:57 AM   #42
Rivet Master

Wow, this thread has been going on for almost 3 years and people are still trying to figure out how to lift a 170lbs generator into the back of a truck. Maybe I'm just a dumb old country boy, but would think the best way would be just to take three really strong guys camping with you to lift it in and out ;-)

Enjoy,