Old 03-29-2011, 03:18 PM   #15
Site Team

, Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by GetOutDoors View Post
I will be installing a Onan in my 2005 30’ classic in the next month or two (have actually started and have the relay switch installed). It will work off the propane system and will be controlled by a switch inside.

Currently trying to figure out how to extend the propane lines to the bedroom. This is an issue because of the axles and water/holding tanks.

Didn’t really think anyone would be interested here. Guess I could, if there is interest, document the process …
Are you KIDDING?

Of course we're interested. Much more interesting than another floor repair.

Old 03-29-2011, 04:24 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2008 19' International CCD
Spring , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by silversled View Post
We purchased two small Honda generators (and then purchased the cables to tie their output together) to get the watts we need. There will be some loss but I think it is worth it. It increases the cost but it saves my bad back.
Ditto; we did the same thing; even the wife can lift them. Also; 2 Honda 2000s hooked up in parallel will run your AC.

Ed

Old 03-29-2011, 04:57 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Went on caravan with a lady that had a big generator. She had a little lift with a winch that fit in one of the back the stake sockets of the truck. Worked like a charm.
Old 03-29-2011, 05:24 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

1995 30' Excella
Logan , New Mexico
What Silversled and Eleighj said.
Dodge 2500 Diesel-Tow Vehicle
Old 04-04-2011, 11:05 AM   #19

2006 30' Classic S/O
Bloomington , Indiana
The ramp I bought is a Lund ATV/Motorcycle ramp. It is about 6 1/2 feet long and the (mostly) solid surface makes it easy to load the generator and the motorcycle. It is also short enough too sit in the pick-up bed. I originally purchased mine at a "Cycle Gear" Store in Salem Oregon. But there are alot of options out there with the internet...of course.
Old 04-04-2011, 11:18 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1992 34' Excella
Austin , Texas
Northern Industrial Pickup Truck Crane — 1000-Lb. Capacity | Truck Cranes | Northern Tool + Equipment
Crusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 07:50 PM   #21

1979 31' Sovereign
PALATKA , Florida
bad back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandits View Post
I've decided to get a generator and prefer to have a single unit that will allow the use of the air conditioner. The only issue is that when it is full of fuel it weighs 170 pounds, My back won't allow that any longer. I've thought about a hitch mounted winch or possibly a ramp. Has anyone out there come up with an easy solution to this problem? Jerry.
i carry a 3kw generac quite pack with me to civil war reenactments in
florida. and my back was broken in 5 places. i have a ram 2500 and i mounted a draw hictch on the front and use a wheel chair lift, i mounted the generator on a heavy duty lawn cart and roll it on to and off the lift.
once i'm aty site i unhook and pull to the rear and unload the generator and power up. i have a 79 31" unit and 3kw powers my ac, tv, and lights if i wish to use my micro wave i need to turn off the ac first. i would be
happy to send photos john
Old 04-21-2011, 08:23 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandits View Post
Thanks for the response. I plan to get the 3000 watt Yamaha with the boost capability. For this trip I'll probably just leave it in the bed, on the tailgate with the tonneu cap raised. By the next trip I plan to have a hitch mounted winch that will allow me to lift the generator off the tailgate and swing it around to set it on the ground. I already know how I'm going to build it but I've run out of time for this trip. Jerry.

Jerry, Don't have the time to make a hitch hoist.?
I found the answer. Today I purchased a Yamaha 3000 w/boost Generator and stopped by Cabella's and found that they carry the perfect solution.
It's a receiver mounted (hitch hoist) mainly used by hunters to get deer in the back of a pick up or to hang it for field dressing. It's part #AM 42-0465.
The price is $179.99.
It swivels 360 degrees, has a handcrank, lifts 450#, and it sticks out enough so you can lower the tailgate to put the gen in the truck.
Old 04-26-2011, 09:38 PM   #23
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Rockville , Maryland
Bluto - you made my day - this is exactly what I've been looking for in product & price!!!
**I Love U.S.A.**
JFScheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 10:25 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Has anybody just left the 170# generator in the truck bed and operated it there. The advantages are many: you don't have to move it, security (out of sight) and even more quiet. I am thinking just install a fantastic vent in the top of the cap and open the side windows of the cap. I suspect Honda or Yamaha would not bless this idea, but what do you folks think?

Dan
Old 04-26-2011, 10:50 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Western slope , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by TouringDan
Has anybody just left the 170# generator in the truck bed and operated it there. The advantages are many: you don't have to move it, security (out of sight) and even more quiet. I am thinking just install a fantastic vent in the top of the cap and open the side windows of the cap. I suspect Honda or Yamaha would not bless this idea, but what do you folks think?

Dan
Doing that now. But.... Plumbed the exhaust out with flex SS line. The exhaust comes out from behind the flaps. Have the fantastic fan and run it on low. My problems... Fill caps on all gens are vented so fumes build up in the cap, stringing a 30amp line from the tt. I have a eu6500is that is way to heavy to load and unload. Tried the same exhaust thing with an eu3000is but the way the exhaust is ported out from the engine...well just not practicable from a conversion standpoint. The 6500 is sealed from the head to the exhaust tip so was a simple "plumbing" job..but for high temps. Don't know how blue is plumbed but you really need to get the exhaust out and like marine engines... Run the bilge fan before firing her up....boom!!!!!
Old 04-27-2011, 03:14 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFScheck View Post
Bluto - you made my day - this is exactly what I've been looking for in product & price!!!
Glad I could be of some help.

I think you'll like it. It's not high tech, but it does the job of getting that generator on and off the tailgate. It's just a nice HD gizzmo. The part that fits into the receiver is a 2" size so if you have a 2 1/2 in receiver tube a couple of wood shims in the right place would work to keep it from wiggling in the receiver. Either that, or use a 2" to 2 1/2" adaptor. It locks in place with your hitch pin anyway.
I'm now on the search for a couple of short web lift belts to attach thru the gens handles and hook to the lift cable of the hoist.
If you see anything that will work let me know.
Old 04-28-2011, 09:03 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Foothill Ranch , California
Pickup Truck Crane - 1/2 Ton Capacity
Old 04-28-2011, 09:39 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
1999 34' Excella
Davidson County, NC , Highlands County, FL
I have been using my 3k generator in the back of the pickup under a cap for years. It's too heavy for me to load and unload while on the road. I set the fuel cans outside away from the generator and I always open the side vents and rear hatch for a fairly long period before starting up the generator, so that any fuel vapor can disipate. Then I make sure the exhaust is pointed toward the rear hatch. It gets a little warm inside the cap in the summer sun, otherwise I have not had any issues.