Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-17-2013, 02:24 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2007 19' Safari SE
Seal Beach , California
Leaning toward Yamaha 1000

In an effort to cut down on back strain, I'm going to step down from my Honda 2000 to a Yamaha 1000. Both have good reputations, but the Yamaha seemed a little bit lighter. Our electricity usage is minimal; we have solar panels that keep the batteries topped off, and I only want the generator as a backup for bad-weather days. Any reason not to pull the trigger on the Yamaha?

Jerry & Susan
2007 19' Bambi SE; 2018 Ford F-350 5.4L SuperCrew 4x4
ESCAPE POD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 02:29 PM   #2
Free Range Human

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Haines , Oregon
We've had one for about 8 years. It works quite nicely for topping of the batteries, and will run small microwaves. The only problem I've had with it was when I left gas in the system over a winter. The carburetor needed to be cleaned out. Now, I syphon as much gas as possible out of the tank, then run it dry. Other's have suggested using Stabil or some other gas preservative.

Starts easy, runs quietly, weighs under 30 pounds. My suspicion is that the Yamaha 1000, and the small Honda are made at the same place.
Drathaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 11:34 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Alpharetta , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drathaar View Post
My suspicion is that the Yamaha 1000, and the small Honda are made at the same place.
I can tell you for a fact all Honda EU-series generators are made at a Honda factory in Japan. There is nothing made there that isn't Honda; no private label or other brands, period.

I do believe the Yamaha is made in a Yamaha-only factory as well, probably in Japan, but perhaps somewhere else in Asia.
Caveat: I work for Honda, but the preceding is my opinion alone.

robert@honda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 11:36 PM   #4
Free Range Human

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Haines , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by robert@honda View Post
I can tell you for a fact all Honda EU-series generators are made at a Honda factory in Japan. There is nothing made there that isn't Honda; no private label or other brands, period.

I do believe the Yamaha is made in a Yamaha-only factory as well, probably in Japan, but perhaps somewhere else in Asia.
They are both good units. I think they look very similar, but you're probably right.
Drathaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 03:58 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Classic
SW Florida , Florida
I have owned a EU 1000 that is close to 15 years old, it has traveled all over the coluntry the only parts that were replaced is the spark plug, the air filter element and the gas cap. Great, generator, limited by the 1,000 watt rating but it still starts right up and purrs. It is going to be replaced shortly with a 2,400 -3,000 watt unit
tailpipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 12:35 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2007 19' Safari SE
Seal Beach , California
Use fuel petcock to empty carburetor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drathaar View Post
The only problem I've had with it was when I left gas in the system over a winter. The carburetor needed to be cleaned out. Now, I syphon as much gas as possible out of the tank, then run it dry.
Assuming I use a product like Stabil, am I right in assuming that I can close the fuel petcock and run the carburetor dry, without having to drain the gas tank itself?

Jerry & Susan
Old 03-21-2013, 03:54 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ESCAPE POD View Post
Assuming I use a product like Stabil, am I right in assuming that I can close the fuel petcock and run the carburetor dry, without having to drain the gas tank itself?

That's what I do and have not had a problem with my Yamaha 3000.
Old 03-21-2013, 10:08 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2007 19' Safari SE
Seal Beach , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluto View Post

That's what I do and have not had a problem with my Yamaha 3000.
Thanks, Bluto. I just got a Yamaha 1000, and the manual was silent on this issue. One of the chief reasons I bought the Yamaha was the ability to protect the carburetor without having to drain the fuel tank.

Jerry & Susan