Old 11-08-2018, 11:22 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
brookhaven , Georgia
Two running slow is better than one running fast. I just spent a night on generator power last week in my Interstate, but I put my Yamaha generators in front of the van on the ground with a 50 foot cord. I pointed the exhaust downwind and put in some earplugs. I also have a secondary sensor in the van for safety. They ran for 10 hours on one tank.

coasttocoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 11:26 AM   #16
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawus"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , Milky Way
Welcome Aboard!! 👍

And when they are not running and on the pad...are they protected?

The solution is a bit overkill for us, but with limited TV & AS storage the tongue rack may work well for you.

Sweet streams...

Bob
🇺🇸

ďWe were young and knew nothing...now we are old and everyone else knows everything.Ē
RLC

"Tahawus"
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 11:40 AM   #17
S/O#080

2006 30' Classic S/O
Tucson , Arizona
Nicely done. On a recent caravan we saw something similar with an added aluminum cover. Looked nice.
Tschupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 12:15 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Wheaton , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by pteck View Post
Is there a particular reason you're opting to carry 2x gennies?

If only to equalize the load, albeit, an expensive way to do so.

Greg
greghoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 12:39 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2006 23' Safari SE
Wasilla , Alaska
Nice work. Looks great and should do the job .
Raminc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 01:03 PM   #20
1 Rivet Member

2017 20' Flying Cloud
Appleton , Wisconsin
I've been trying to figure out how and where to stow a Honda generator. This could be the best solution. I, and from what I read - others would love to have the specs on this if possible. Please advise. I also liked the idea of putting an alumn. cover over it, like the propane tanks have so I can secure it that way.
Old 11-08-2018, 03:31 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2007 27' International CCD FB
San Diego , California
There's several of us that have put the generator on the tongue. As another example, I've recently done this mod as well, albeit for 1 Honda eu2200i. It has proven to work well. A single eu2200i is able to run my A/C with margin. I also have run my generator in place as I'm fully able to pull start it without taking it off. There is minimal noise and vibration transferred into the rest of the trailer as I sandwiched layers of attenuating material in the base. It's about as loud as a fantastic fan on low, but less intrusive as it sounds farther away.

Click image for larger version

Name:	AShonda1.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	215.8 KB
ID:	327358

Click image for larger version

Name:	AShonda3.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	143.3 KB
ID:	327359

More information about mine in this thread: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f448...ue-187346.html
pteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 04:10 PM   #22
1 Rivet Member

2016 19' Flying Cloud
Clearwater , Florida
All are interesting points. Great minds think alike! Iíve already ordered ďsecurity nutsĒ that require a special socket for securing both the rack to the frame and the access panel to the battery compartment that also serves as the base to the Jerry-can mounting plate. They just havenít arrived yet. Itís similar in design to mag wheel locks, but while the nuts themselves are relatively cheap, the sockets to match are really expensive. Iím hoping vibration wonít be an issue as the generators are actually still resting on the rubber feet that comes stock with them. We simply used longer bolts to go through the feet and aluminum security plate and into the the generator frame. I will have to see if they vibration might cause ďrattlingĒ between that security plate and the the points at which it contacts the shelf. I do have some rubber padding Iíve used to keep the puck locks from rattling in their mounts that I could employ at the contact points if that becomes a problem. Thank you for the thoughts about turning radius. Iíll have to try some really tight turns in the parking lot and see how close I come to the rack. Iíve seen a few similar designs using steel and expanded metal and havenít heard of any turning problems, so hopefully that isnít a hidden issue. If I built it again, there is enough room to move the generators inward slightly and the rack ends donít need to be squared off, you can see from the earlier pictures they could be trimmed to be angled on the ends and perhaps provide a few more inches of clearance in turns if thatís necessary. I donít have a schematic but the metal shop that built it is ďHouse of Metal LLCĒ in Clearwater Florida (houseofmetalllc.com). The owner who did the work is Doug Calibey. We originally considered stainless steel covers to match the propane tanks cover but the space is pretty tight, it would have added weight, and I would need to route the exhaust through a metal cover somehow. On a related note, because the front of the airstream leans outward as it rises from the frame, we had some clearance issues with the generators (and of course any metal covers we hoped to design). We overcame that by drilling new mount holes in the propane bottle mounting plate an inch back from the stock position which allowed us to move them about an inch forward towards the motorized jack. It did not require any holes in the frame (I wasnít willing to drill into the Airstream frame out of concerns about potentially weakening it).
Mwgautreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 04:18 PM   #23
1 Rivet Member

2016 19' Flying Cloud
Clearwater , Florida
Oh and I donít plan to store the generators on the unit when weíre not camping. Iíll keep them in the garage when weíre not traveling so theyíre out of the weather and out of sight from anyone tempted to liberate them. I just unlock the puck lock and the security plate slides out of the rack and stays on the generator for transport.
Mwgautreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 04:20 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member

1998 34' Limited
Lawrenceville , Georgia
Nice work!
fwjumper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 04:29 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Nice job!

I hope you will weigh the tongue ASAP, with the jerry can and propane tanks full, and your water tank and black/grey holding tanks empty [worst-case scenario, granted].

This setup could change the handling of your rig quite a bit IMO. Obviously the weight-distribution fore and aft will be affected. But also the sway characteristics while underway could change, especially if this new weight is far away from the TV rear axle.

I guess your tow vehicle's hitch rating can handle the increased load OK?

Thanks for the clear photos.

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 04:47 PM   #26
1 Rivet Member

2016 19' Flying Cloud
Newtown , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwgautreau View Post
All are interesting points. Great minds think alike! Iíve already ordered ďsecurity nutsĒ that require a special socket for securing both the rack to the frame and the access panel to the battery compartment that also serves as the base to the Jerry-can mounting plate. They just havenít arrived yet. Itís similar in design to mag wheel locks, but while the nuts themselves are relatively cheap, the sockets to match are really expensive. Iím hoping vibration wonít be an issue as the generators are actually still resting on the rubber feet that comes stock with them. We simply used longer bolts to go through the feet and aluminum security plate and into the the generator frame. I will have to see if they vibration might cause ďrattlingĒ between that security plate and the the points at which it contacts the shelf. I do have some rubber padding Iíve used to keep the puck locks from rattling in their mounts that I could employ at the contact points if that becomes a problem. Thank you for the thoughts about turning radius. Iíll have to try some really tight turns in the parking lot and see how close I come to the rack. Iíve seen a few similar designs using steel and expanded metal and havenít heard of any turning problems, so hopefully that isnít a hidden issue. If I built it again, there is enough room to move the generators inward slightly and the rack ends donít need to be squared off, you can see from the earlier pictures they could be trimmed to be angled on the ends and perhaps provide a few more inches of clearance in turns if thatís necessary. I donít have a schematic but the metal shop that built it is ďHouse of Metal LLCĒ in Clearwater Florida (houseofmetalllc.com). The owner who did the work is Doug Calibey. We originally considered stainless steel covers to match the propane tanks cover but the space is pretty tight, it would have added weight, and I would need to route the exhaust through a metal cover somehow. On a related note, because the front of the airstream leans outward as it rises from the frame, we had some clearance issues with the generators (and of course any metal covers we hoped to design). We overcame that by drilling new mount holes in the propane bottle mounting plate an inch back from the stock position which allowed us to move them about an inch forward towards the motorized jack. It did not require any holes in the frame (I wasnít willing to drill into the Airstream frame out of concerns about potentially weakening it).

Great idea! Just curious what the price tag was?

brundom is offline   Reply With Quote