Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-20-2013, 10:58 AM   #101
4 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
On , the road
Solar is definitely a convenience luxury that will never even out price wise. Spending $3 a day on generator gas will take years of boondocking ever come close to what you will spend for solar. That said, it is an awesome luxury.

I wrote a blog post on our solar setup: Going Solar | WatsonsWander - Exploring and working fulltime from our Airstream

As mentioned by Dan, it really depends on how/what you are using. This page on AM Solar can help you understand what goes into usage. RV Solar System Sizing by Actual Use

We have 300 watts and it was enough to run the furnace enough to keep us warm. On the other hand, we had some fellow Airstream friends with us that have 400 watts and borrowed our generator one afternoon to top off their batteries. The reason?.. We spent the last few winters in Vermont, so are fine with the heat set to 50 or so and we have a catalytic heater that we ran before bed. They had their furnace set in the 60's and mentioned it ran almost non stop. They have an inverter and two power hungry laptops, while we power more efficient laptops via a 12v plug. They want more solar, we want more batteries. All depends on your usage.
Old 01-22-2013, 05:42 AM   #102
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Solar is definitely a convenience luxury that will never even out price wise. Spending $3 a day on generator gas will take years of boondocking ever come close to what you will spend for solar. That said, it is an awesome luxury

Not to put too fine a point on it, neither is an Airstream (or any RV) without commensurate income derived from its use. Or, for that matter, neither is a car for the time/miles not spent in income production (which is only in commuting, for most folks).

I think it more a matter of understanding money spent versus value derived. And in this instance the ability to extend days of use without further inputs of fossil fuel makes the case for solar. The initial expense is what seems high.

I've just purchased a TT built in 1989. The optional solar system installed by Silver Streak is still operational. An optional 3.8k ONAN propane generator would likely still be operational, but maintenance/repairs would have boosted the cost a good bit. The cost for either -- factory -- was high even in todays money.

I think it more likely comes down -- as said above -- to the metrics by which we measure an RV, and not just our own use of it. Not all are vacationers (30-nights/5k annual miles).

I would, and do, rate more highly an RV that can go extended periods without further inputs. And on a TT (specifically) that also is "high performance" while en route to a destination. Subsumed in a design -- and of construction -- that is pretty well indefinite in lifespan. More or less permanent.

The initial cost -- in all respects -- is higher. Yet it is (or can be) a one-time cost.

Solar may not take the place of a generator, but it more clearly defines the when/where/what of such a purchase. Keeps it in bounds, so to speak. An internal combustion engine which I already have in the TV needs far more careful definition than something as simple as solar. I can modify the way batteries are charged from the TV, after all. A generator purchase may come down to running the A/C.

There are those who purchase a pickup truck as TV just to be able to carry highly flammable fuel & generator. I'd say that this makes a generator a highly expensive purchase compared to a better spec'd TV (initial cost, operational cost, depreciation, etc) where understanding ones TT use might have made for better long-term economy.

The largest picture (energy inputs) is conducive to sorting costs. As electrical is at the bottom of the list for what matters in an RV (in order: mobility, water, propane -- and last -- electricity) it is in understanding that electricity itself is a convenience, not a necessity, that the "luxury cost" is revealed. (The water pump and furnace fan being the exceptions).

Solar really is more like having a propane system aboard versus using wood or coal for purposes of heating air & water + cooking. Self-containment. Sort the cost of all propane-powered appliances plus installation as comparison.

Batteries are the weak link, after all.

What is luxury versus what may be necessity (income from Internet-based work, for example) can differ greatly. I'd say that not one of us is willing to be without electricity . . so capacity is a useful metric for any TT user.

Etc.

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 06:17 AM   #103
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
I like our thermal solar option the best.
It has worked very well for us.
Low initial cost, no maintenance and reliable...

Bob
Old 01-25-2013, 10:07 PM   #104
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB International
Los Angeles , California
Thumbs up It's Done!

Well... We just got an email from Uwe at Area 63 Productions and our Airstream is ready for us to pick up tomorrow. We had him install a 400 watt system and are anticipating it to generate a good 20 amps of available current to charge the batteries and use as needed during the day. We already have 2 Lifeline 6 volt deep cycle batteries and I am starting to think about adding another battery bank somewhere in the trailer. Any ideas on what type of and where would be appreciated. We also have a 600 watt inverter already installed so we should be okay on that front, no microwave popcorn but we can charge all our iPhones, iPads, and laptops. Plus Becky will be able yo blow dry her hair! Now all we need to do is plan our next boondocking trip.... Maybe Joshua Tree NP would be a good shakedown trip! Yay, we have solar!
WBCCI #1215
Air #54601

Remember... No matter where you go, there you are...

2009 27FB International Ocean Breeze
2010 Toyota Tundra CrewMax, 5.7L V8, 4x4
Scott J-24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 10:45 PM   #105
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
You may not have enough real estate available on the top to go without a gen ... I know that we do not... perhaps with "full coverage" and two AGM batts inside in addition to the deep cycles outside so you could store a bit more during optimal conditions. We are thinking perhaps that solar panels on the rear top of our TV with appropriate connecting cables ...
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 11:13 PM   #106
Rivet Master

Los Angeles , California
Gee, I would think with 400 watts generating 20+ amps (baring heavy shade or clouds) we should be able to recharge our batteries each day. I have already replaced all our interior lights with LEDs, so that should help. We will eventually add a second battery bank to increase our available power storage. Time, and use will tell us how long solar will allow us stay org the grid, but I plan on taking the generator for our first few trips.... Just in case.
WBCCI #1215
Air #54601

Old 01-26-2013, 05:49 AM   #107
Rivet Master

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
Very thoughtful post slowmover. Reminds me of reality. Scot, it will be interesting to see how the capacity works out. You most likely have enough input , I am not sure on the output. I have a 1500 w inverter and it is ok for my stuff most of the time. However, we get spoiled quickly and pretty soon we are trying to run the vacuum while both tvs are running and my wife has the hair dryer going and then I start the microwave to reheat my coffee, if you get the picture. It can all be done, just not at once. We learn how to do the inverter dance. But what a great luxury solar has turned out to be. Great choice.
Old 01-26-2013, 11:18 AM   #108
Rivet Master

Los Angeles , California
I realize that only having a 600 watt inverter will be a limiting factor. Having said that, we don't watch much TV and don't have a vacuum cleaner (vinyl floors). Hopefully this will work out fur us. If not, we can always upgrade the inverter and add an additional bank of batteries in the future.
WBCCI #1215
Air #54601

Old 01-26-2013, 01:30 PM   #109
3 Rivet Member

2005 25' International CCD
Glendale , California
solar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott J-24 View Post
Gee, I would think with 400 watts generating 20+ amps (baring heavy shade or clouds) we should be able to recharge our batteries each day. I have already replaced all our interior lights with LEDs, so that should help. We will eventually add a second battery bank to increase our available power storage. Time, and use will tell us how long solar will allow us stay org the grid, but I plan on taking the generator for our first few trips.... Just in case.
I have a 200 watt system seems I can go indefinitely for TV & lighting playing stereo with I pod, charge laptop . I go for five days batteries are the same voltage when I come back .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020036.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	180.3 KB
ID:	177493  
silverbacksurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 01:38 PM   #110
3 Rivet Member

2005 25' International CCD
Glendale , California
Boondocking for Geodes

Scott J 24 This rally might be good for you to check out your solar system.Airstream Forums - Boondocking for Geodes
silverbacksurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 02:27 PM   #111
4 Rivet Member

LA LA Land... , California
Hey Scott,

We had 200 watts and found with our relatively heavy usage at night (TV, furnace, etc) that we couldn't get the batteries back to 100% during winter days when it was real cloudy days or when we were parked in a very shady spot. Normally, they would go back to 80-85% under those conditions. (Batts were down to 60-65% in the morning.)
We just added another panel to bring it up to 300 watts and think that should do the trick. You should be Ok with 400.

Mike
Mike91208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 10:25 PM   #112
Rivet Master

Los Angeles , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbacksurfer View Post
Scott J 24 This rally might be good for you to check out your solar system.Airstream Forums - Boondocking for Geodes
We are thinking about going, but work is really crazy now and will be just insane during the rally. I don't have very much hope at the moment, but things could change.
WBCCI #1215
Air #54601

Old 01-26-2013, 11:34 PM   #113
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
We'd love to see you there. Hope it works out and you can make it!
Old 03-02-2013, 08:23 PM   #114
Rivet Master

Los Angeles , California
We finally had a chance to use our trailer since we installed our AM Solar system. We boondocked on the street in front of a friends home when they had a Marti Gras party a couple of weekends ago. We ran the lights for a long time (LEDs) and the gas heater all night with the temp set a 65 degrees, so that created a good drain on the batteries. We discharged ~20% of our battery storage (we have 2 Lifeline 6 volt with 220 amp hours). We were fully charged back to 100% capacity by about 3:00 the next afternoon (~98% by noon).The system worked great. We were in direct sun with no shade except in the early morning. I can't wait to go out for a long weekend boondocking to see how it holds up in the real world. Uwe at Area63 did a great job installing our solar system. I would not hesitate to have them do more work on our AS.
WBCCI #1215
Air #54601