Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-17-2012, 08:59 AM   #81
Rivet Master

2015 28' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
PharmGeek,
Good to think about solar when buying new. For our new 2011FC23FB I knew that I would want a solar system capable of expansion. The pre-wire from Airstream was sized for their 50 watt panel. Airstream offered no options, would not even let me specify AGM's in lieu of the OEM interstates at a reasonable cost, so I worked with my dealer for my initial installation. I selected the components, had them shipped to the dealer, and paid for the installation as a matter of convenience. I chose a Kyocera 85 watt panel, Blue Sky MPPT 25 w controller and 8 AWG wiring. After a year of experience, I added a second 85 watt panel (by removing the unused TV antenna) primarily to compensate for partial shading in some campsites. I'd advise as much separation between panels as possible, for that reason. I also changed out my OEM batteries to AGM's and the system now fits our usage very well.
JamuJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 09:51 AM   #82
2 Rivet Member

1959 22' Flying Cloud
Bishop , California
Thanks Bart el al.,
AM Solar is having a sale this week, plus free shipping.
Maybe there really is a Santa Claus.
Tony
tonyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 08:39 PM   #83
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB International
Los Angeles , California
Thumbs up Is it time to pull the trigger?

Reading this thread is really getting me motivated to finally pull the trigger and go solar. I am looking at AM Solar's preconfigured SunRunner Signature 100 / 40 / 6 / 4 Pro System with an extra 100 watt panel for a total of 200 watts. I am also thinking of upgrading from the GO100 panels to the smaller and more efficient GS100 panels. This setup will allow me to add additional 100 watt panel(s) in the future, roof top real estate permitting. Please share your comments and suggestions since it is easer to make system modifications now, before I make the purchase and install the system. Now all it takes is finalizing the system design and money....
WBCCI #1215
Air #54601

Remember... No matter where you go, there you are...

2009 27FB International Ocean Breeze
2010 Toyota Tundra CrewMax, 5.7L V8, 4x4
Scott J-24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 07:05 AM   #84
3 Rivet Member

2003 25' Safari
Riverside , California
I installed 2 of amsolars 100 watt panels and still have room at least 3 more. I chose a controller that will allow me to run that many. I may never need to but the option will be easy. I also used cabling large enough to run them all if ever I do up-size. Who knows how I will be using the steam after retirement
2015 Toyota Tacoma trd 4x4
2000 Jeep Wrangler 4x4
Bob4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 10:31 AM   #85
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Olympia , Washington
Does anyone know what size cable AS uses when they prewire for solar?

2014 Ram 2500 CTD
Pro Pride
Centramatics
daveswenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 01:08 PM   #86
4 Rivet Member

LA LA Land... , California
On my 09 27FB International it is 10 gauge
Mike91208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 02:21 PM   #87
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Ivins , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsmithii View Post
Could those of you who installed your own solar systems yourselves add some comments? How did you handle the wire run from the refrigerator vent to the controller? Exposed? or hidden? Where? How? Photos?

For those who installed a monitor, where did you put it? Why? How?
I ran the cable down the refrigerator vent, forward through the cabinetry on street side, and through a plastic conduit forward to the under-bed storage locker. Not exactly thrilled with that solution, but it at the time I was concerned about running conduit under the trailer and drilling holes through the floor. Had I done it again, I might take that approach.

Monitor is high on the living area bulkhead, above the TV.

Here's an article on my install.
Solar Airstream | Traveling with the Silver Bullet
steverino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 08:36 PM   #88
Enthusiastic New AS'r

1985 31' Limited
Glenville , New York
Did consider it for a season but we found better than 90 percent of the time we were parked under trees and there was alwasy a lack of direct sun light so for that season it would have done us no good... Thinking if I can't use it better than 50 percent of the time then it's not worth it for me. We purchased a 2000 genny and it recharges the batteries in about an hour and we're go to go...
Old 12-21-2012, 09:19 PM   #89
Rivet Master

Los Angeles , California
First...
well it looks like we all survived the 'end of the world'. Congratulations everyone!

Second...
I talked with the DW and she is on board with going solar. In fact she thinks we should get a 300 watts system and size the system to add an additional 200-300 watts in the future (I really love that DW of mine). I got a PM from Lewster and he recommended Uwe at Area 63 Productions. With all the AS restorations they do, there is no question they can do a first class job. I talked to Uwe this afternoon and it looks like we can get this done over a weekend in January (drop off Friday and pick up Monday). Getting real excited... Can't wait to get off the grid and boondock without having to run the gennie!
WBCCI #1215
Air #54601

Old 12-22-2012, 10:52 AM   #90
3 Rivet Member

2007 16' Bambi
West Hollywood , California
Hey Scott! Merry Christmas, almost! Hard to believe it's been a year since Crystal Cove!!

I think you'll be thrilled with both your solar installation, AND having Uwe do the work.

We've loved our system since the minute AM Solar installed it. It's so awesome to have lights-camera-action without even a thought as to where the power comes from... thank you sun! Well maybe a thought every once in a while, but mostly it just works and we don't ever worry about dead batteries, unless we're under thick tree cover of course.

And I can't say enough good things about Uwe. He did some work for us too. He's fantastic, and a really great guy.

I wish we were going back to Crystal Cove for Christmas, but we're hosting at the house this year. Oh well...

A couple of pictures from last Christmas... the empty campground, and Jason with some baked apples for Christmas Eve.

Happy New Year to you and Becky! And to all of you other 'streamers, too!

Andy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1518.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	243.9 KB
ID:	175024   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1515.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	321.9 KB
ID:	175025  

R2DTube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 09:26 PM   #91
Rivet Master

Los Angeles , California
Cool Is solar worth it... we sure hope so...

We spent the New Year weekend at Newport Dunes RV park with a great bunch of other Airstreamers. While there, we met Paula (SteSpot) and toured her 68 Ambassador that she had restored by Uwe at Area 63 Productions. Absolutely spectacular job. Along with the restoration/rehab, Uwe installed a 200 watt solar system. After talking to Paula and some other Airstreamers who installed solar on their rigs, we decided to install a 400 watt solar system. I sent Uwe a down payment today so he can order all of the hardware. We will take our TT to get the system installed in 2 weeks on the 18th. Uwe should have the system installed by the following Monday on the 21st. We can't wait to go camping without having to lug our Handi3000i to keep the batteries charged. Traveling light and living off-the-grid, what a concept!
WBCCI #1215
Air #54601

Old 01-03-2013, 11:59 PM   #92
4 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
On , the road
I think you will be more than happy with 400watts. Are you going to add any additional batteries?

We have been parked out in Borrego Springs for the last week. I'm happy we went with an extra panel and are up to 300watts. It is working absolutely perfect with no need for a generator.
Old 01-04-2013, 12:30 AM   #93
Rivet Master

Los Angeles , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by timmaah View Post
I think you will be more than happy with 400watts. Are you going to add any additional batteries?

We have been parked out in Borrego Springs for the last week. I'm happy we went with an extra panel and are up to 300watts. It is working absolutely perfect with no need for a generator.
Glad to hear you are happy with your solar system. Originally we were going to go with 200 watts, then thought 300 would be better. Then looking at the other systems I saw at the Newport Dunes Rally, I started to think about a 400 watt system. We currently have two Lifeline 6 volt deep cycle batteries with a 600 watt inverter. I want to add another bank of Lifeline batteries at a later date, but for now the current bank will work for us. With a 400 watt system we are probably at an overkill level with the current bank of two Lifelines, but figured that adding an additional bank of batteries at a later date was more cost effective than adding additional solar panels later.
WBCCI #1215
Air #54601

Old 01-10-2013, 05:18 PM   #94
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Hinckley , Ohio
When shopping for solar systems I would check the Airforum Classifieds. I saw a couple os solar panel and a complete top of the line 400 watt system.
Old 01-10-2013, 07:07 PM   #95
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamuJoe View Post
Agree, and we try to avoid those other sources as well
There's no end to generator discussions, but of course one can simply stop reading.
What I if told you
you your rong.
What I if told you
you can't read.

Bob
Old 01-19-2013, 09:10 PM   #96

2013 22' FB Sport
Cranbury , New Jersey
Hi everyone! This is our first post, but we have been reading up a lot on here since we purchased our new 2013 22 sport. We have quickly realized that the one battery is not going to cut it. We plan to spend at least 50% of our time boondocking, and are trying to figure out what to do for recharge/extra power. We are also fulltiming. A second battery seems like the most logical first step. Beyond that, the best/most popular options seem to be: Honda 1000 or 2000 gen. to recharge batteries and run 12 v. (no AC), install Solar AM or other brand permanent panels on the roof (a potential issue being the lack of roof space available on the 22 sport), or set up portable solar panels from similar companies, with the risk of having them stolen, damaged, and not getting the benefit of charging while in transit. We would prefer to go solar, but cost is a big factor. Wondering what other 22 sport owners in particular recommend most? It also seems that parks, ect., are more and more unlikely to let you run a gen. if you have one. Thanks for your help! We are excited to get a good set up that will provide the necessary 12 volt power with no AC for several days of boondocking at the best price and the best set up for a smaller AS.
Hornyak22FB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 09:45 PM   #97
4 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
On , the road
We full-time in a 25 footer. Going on 3+ weeks of boondocking and haven't come close to using the generator, even with some temps hitting mid 20's a few nights.

The GS100 panels from AM Solar are quite a bit smaller than other panels and are probably the way to go for a 22 footer. They are made by Grape Solar and available at multiple places other than AM Solar. I'm not sure how many you could fit on your roof.

Go for a second battery for sure. We have two normal deep cycle batteries and they will last us about a day and a half of normal usage. For us, generator will definitely be needed on cloudy stretches or camping in wooded areas. We have never run across a campground that didn't have power and banned generators. Many have certain hours limiting use.
Old 01-20-2013, 07:09 AM   #98

2013 22' FB Sport
Cranbury , New Jersey
Thanks for the help! It seems that solar is worth the money in the long run. What panels do you have and how many watts to stay out for three weeks and using the furnace at night? Sounds like the set up we need. I am wondering if that GS100 will be enough power to help our batteries stay charged if we also run the furnace? PS- Love your blog! Looks so great, we cannot wait to get on the road
Hornyak22FB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 09:46 AM   #99
4 Rivet Member

1999 27' Safari
Palo Alto , California
Hmmm. Horny AK - from New Jersey... Seems like there is a story somewhere...

To figure out how many and what size panels you need, you need to figure out how much power you will be using per day. You'll want to match your inflows - the number of watt hours created by the panels, at the part of the country you expect the trailer to be located in, with how you expect to use electricity in the trailer. The length of your trip doesn't matter so much - the answer would be about the same for one week as it would be for a month - because you are unlikely to carry enough batteries to last for more than a couple of days without some way to charge them.

There is a lot of variability in how much electricity gets used - when I am in the trailer alone, it's the minimum - basically lighting, water pump and furnace. My kids want to watch TV and charge up their gizmos. My wife wants the inverter turned on, so she can blow dry her hair and use the microwave. At each step, more power is used - and to stay in balance you need more inflows during daylight - and hence more panels, and likely more batteries to store more energy as well.

At the extreme end, there are folks on the forum who want to run their AC when boondocking. This requires lots of panels and lots of batteries to store the output of those panels.

Last consideration is location - if you plan to be boondocking in the winter in Idaho, the same panels will be creating a lot less power than they would in the summer in Florida. So you need more capacity the farther north you intend to be.

The easiest thing to do is probably just copy someone else here who seems to have electrical habits similar to yours, and purchase a similarly sized system. We've got about 300 watts which keeps the trailer (which has two Costco RV Batteries installed) constantly fully charged, as long as we park in decent sun, to the point I don't carry a generator anymore unless my wife is coming with us. (and even then we probably don't need it, it's just insurance to keep me out of the doghouse)

1999 27' Airstream Safari + 2011 Mercedes GL 350 Turbo-diesel + 2021 Ford F150 Platinum Hybrid w/ 7,200 Watt Pro Power
ddruker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 10:24 AM   #100
4 Rivet Member

2008 16' Safari
Destrehan , Louisiana
Solar is only worth it if you're going "off grid" a lot. For occasional stops off the grid a generator is a better idea. If you are going off grid for more that two weeks every year than a small solar system is good. Push that to 30 days or more and then a full power solar system is called for.
I only rarely camp off the grid so I have no need of a solar system. Todays prices put solar at about 2.5 times the cost of a generator. However, add in the cost of driving to get fuel can offset this cost if you're way out in the boonies.
Don't forget that you also have to add in the cost of batteries. These only last a few years and will need to be replaced every few years.
dlb435 is offline   Reply With Quote