Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-03-2012, 07:33 PM   #61
3 Rivet Member

1977 31' Excella 500
Los angeles , California
Send a message via AIM to Protohyp
Do it. When the zombies come and you aren't close to power you will be one of many prepared. I also had a portable powerpack that runs my camp shower and can push 55 Amp hours or more so if there is a blackout in the city you can run a fridge for a little bit. If you boondock and have cranking deep cycle they can start your car in case that battery goes dead. Its worth it IMHO
Protohyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 04:40 AM   #62

1967 17' Caravel
Bolton , Connecticut
Thanks all for the VHB tape info and demos ...the stuff looks awesome...gets a clever (devious?) mind to thinking....(tape up the outhouse door?)
Seriously, I hope there is a way to remove the tape if that becomes necessary (ie broken solar panel, etc) ....will research that.
Mike
mrharrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 04:58 AM   #63
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Another handy product for the AS tool kit.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrharrison View Post
Thanks all for the VHB tape info and demos ...the stuff looks awesome...gets a clever (devious?) mind to thinking....(tape up the outhouse door?)
Seriously, I hope there is a way to remove the tape if that becomes necessary (ie broken solar panel, etc) ....will research that.
Mike
Here's another GREAT 3M product....

Same technology but one sided....3M Extreme Sealing Tape. Not cheep, but worth it.

I've used it on the skylight and both FF vents. Just make sure the surface is clean.

I used a heat gun and acetone for "'opps" clean-up on my first use attempt.

Bob
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 05:57 AM   #64
3 Rivet Member

2003 25' Safari
Riverside , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrharrison View Post
Mike
The panels are attatched to the brackets using conventional fastners not tape
2015 Toyota Tacoma trd 4x4
2000 Jeep Wrangler 4x4
Bob4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 07:00 AM   #65
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
A question for BARTS or those that have installed a solar system.
What components did you actually install?
Could you make a simple linear schematic of what and the order in which it was installed for other DIY'rs?
For example Solar panel_____??ga wire______component______?? ga wire____ etc......
Hensley Arrow hitch with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 07:21 AM   #66
3 Rivet Member

2003 25' Safari
Riverside , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by crispyboy View Post
Could you make a simple linear schematic of what and the order in which it was installed for other DIY'rs?
For example Solar panel_____??ga wire______component______?? ga wire____ etc......
The am solar website has some tutorials that spell it out pretty good
2015 Toyota Tacoma trd 4x4
2000 Jeep Wrangler 4x4
Bob4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 10:22 AM   #67
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Olympia , Washington
Quote:
This link has been posted elsewhere, but in case you haven't seen it this was written by a guy who lives full time off the grid. He has very strong opinions about what is needed vs what others may try to sell you.

The RV Battery Charging Puzzle « HandyBob's Blog

It's a lot to read, but the high points:
Use big wire.
Unless you have a big system you don't need MPPT.
Get a controller whose output voltage you can control.
Put the controller as close to the batteries as you can.

I'd give it a read, agree or disagree I think you'll come away with something.

2014 Ram 2500 CTD
Pro Pride
Centramatics
daveswenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 03:36 PM   #68
4 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
On , the road
I just installed a 200 watt setup from AM Solar are am loving it. Their kit provided everything I needed to install myself, and I was able to do it in two afternoons while on the road. Price was $1400 for a beefy 200 watt system with monitor. Another $900 if you want it installed. The VHB tape had me a little nervous, but appears solid and made the install so much easier.

Boondocked for the last two weeks and had to pull out the generator twice. Though that is because we are full-timing and are heavy computer users. The laptops pull down ~4-5 amps while charging. Charge two laptops twice a day and that is ~60-80 amp hours. We are stationary in Desert Hot Springs for the next week or more, and AM Solar has a sale with free shipping, so I will order another 100 watt panel possibly two.

Attached is the diagram AM Solar sent me, showing how the system should be wired.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	diagram.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	233.1 KB
ID:	173950   Click image for larger version

Name:	TAW26784.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	173951  

Name:	TAW97526.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	173952   Click image for larger version

Name:	TAW97539.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	173953  

Old 12-06-2012, 03:24 AM   #69
Maniacal Engineer

1971 25' Tradewind
Lopez Island , Washington
Quote:
I installed the kit as provided by AM Solar. This involved as best I can remember:
  1. connecting and properly sealing the 10 Ga wires to the panels
  2. choosing the panel location on the trailer
  3. mounting the connector box underneath one of the panels.
  4. running 8 GA wire from the connector box down the refrigerator vent.
  5. cleaning the mount locations for the panels, and applying the VHB brackets.
  6. mounting the controller inside the trailer
  7. running the 8GA wire from the refrigerator vent to the controller
  8. running 8GA wire (and sensing wire IIRC) to the battery box.
  9. connecting and mounting the panels.
Not particularly difficult - you just need to follow directions and do neat works. I switched from crimp on to bolt on lugs at the battery box connection, but that's just me doing overkill. Components from AM Solar were top rate.

- Bart
barts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 05:18 AM   #70
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
Thanks guys, this clears it up quite a bit for me.
Hensley Arrow hitch with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 05:52 PM   #71
2 Rivet Member

2017 23' International
Curry County , Oregon
Question regarding installing inverter with this solar system

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmaah View Post
I just installed a 200 watt setup from AM Solar are am loving it. Their kit provided everything I needed to install myself, and I was able to do it in two afternoons while on the road. Price was $1400 for a beefy 200 watt system with monitor. Another $900 if you want it installed. The VHB tape had me a little nervous, but appears solid and made the install so much easier.

Boondocked for the last two weeks and had to pull out the generator twice. Though that is because we are full-timing and are heavy computer users. The laptops pull down ~4-5 amps while charging. Charge two laptops twice a day and that is ~60-80 amp hours. We are stationary in Desert Hot Springs for the next week or more, and AM Solar has a sale with free shipping, so I will order another 100 watt panel possibly two.

Attached is the diagram AM Solar sent me, showing how the system should be wired.

My wife and I just got back from visiting AM Solar and and are considering installing the exact same system you did on our 25 ft EB. Before we purchase the solar system from AM Solar (we are planning to do the install ourselves) we are wanting to install an inverter that we bought from another vendor.

My question is did you install an inverter as well? If so can you or maybe someone else familiar with this kind of thing tell me if I need to install the 500A/50mV shunt (shown in the diagram for the SunRunner 2512X) when I install the inverter. The instructions with the inverter say to run both the + and - leads directly to the battery. The diagram on the other hand says all negative leads should come from the 500A/50mV Shunt. So the question is does the negative lead from the inverter go to battery (makes for a more difficult install) or does it go to the Shunt?
Harpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 10:58 PM   #72
4 Rivet Member

1999 27' Safari
Palo Alto , California
I put together and installed a 288 watt system this summer - and I love it. In the fall we mainly use our trailer for tailgating - and it's wonderful to be able to not worry about having to plug the Airstream in every week to make sure it's charged - it just charges itself like magic. Total cost after the 35% federal tax rebates will be about $500 - I installed myself.

We're headed down to the rose bowl later this month - family of four and a dog - and it's also nice to not worry about bringing along generator and fuel - we can save the resulting space and weight for more of our stuff.

So I'm a happy solar guy.

1999 27' Airstream Safari + 2011 Mercedes GL 350 Turbo-diesel + 2021 Ford F150 Platinum Hybrid w/ 7,200 Watt Pro Power
ddruker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 11:21 PM   #73
4 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
On , the road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpo View Post
My question is did you install an inverter as well? If so can you or maybe someone else familiar with this kind of thing tell me if I need to install the 500A/50mV shunt (shown in the diagram for the SunRunner 2512X) when I install the inverter. The instructions with the inverter say to run both the + and - leads directly to the battery. The diagram on the other hand says all negative leads should come from the 500A/50mV Shunt. So the question is does the negative lead from the inverter go to battery (makes for a more difficult install) or does it go to the Shunt?
We have managed to get everything running directly on 12v and do not have an inverter.

That said.. The negative for the inverter should go to the shunt. The only thing the shunt does is measure amperage, and if you have the inverter to the battery side of the shunt, you will not be including or see the inverter used amps in the battery monitor. (Battery monitor would still show the proper voltage coming from the battery, but I'm not sure if it would show proper % left)
Old 12-13-2012, 07:26 AM   #74
3 Rivet Member

2013 30' Flying Cloud
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Solar Self-install

Could those of you who installed your own solar systems yourselves add some comments? How did you handle the wire run from the refrigerator vent to the controller? Exposed? or hidden? Where? How? Photos?

For those who installed a monitor, where did you put it? Why? How?

Our '06 Safari is not equipped with an inverter and part of the plan would be to add that capability.

At my relatively low level of knowledge & experience a self-install might make sense but my plan is to develop a detailed plan of work before leaping into the project.

This is a great discussion for those of us who do not have a factory installation.
Air #42313 TAC VA-7 WBCCI #1290
gsmithii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 05:22 PM   #75
4 Rivet Member

1999 27' Safari
Palo Alto , California
Quote:
Could those of you who installed your own solar systems yourselves add some comments? How did you handle the wire run from the refrigerator vent to the controller? Exposed? or hidden? Where? How? Photos?
With my trailer, the refrigerator is on the street side, and there is an existing wire chase that runs from the refrigerator compartment, underneath the cabinetry, and then through a square channel near the floor of the trailer almost all the way to the front of the trailer. So everything is hidden.

I needed to remove the refrigerator and the cabinet drawers / shelving but not the cabinetry to pull the wire.

1999 27' Airstream Safari + 2011 Mercedes GL 350 Turbo-diesel + 2021 Ford F150 Platinum Hybrid w/ 7,200 Watt Pro Power
ddruker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 05:51 AM   #76
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsmithii View Post
I didn't install mine, but - they come down through the fridge compartment, then under the shelf below the windows by the dinette, then through the back of the cabinet where a television would go, then they dive down and run through a piece of conduit that runs under the front table (and carries a bunch of other wires - clearly factory installed). They come back up in the arm rest of the couch, where the controller is installed, then from there to the main 12volt wiring panel.

(The two 120 volt wires for the inverter follow the same path as well from the fridge forward.)

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 07:14 AM   #77
Site Team

Currently Looking...
Huntsville , Alabama
I was here working on a bug on the site and came across this thread. I just wanted to chime in with my own two cents if I may.

I bought a couple sets of solar panels from Harbor Freight to use up at my camp (which is a 30' yurt) way up in the Adirondack Park where electricity is not available. I too did not want the constant noise of a generator. I hooked the two panels (90 watts total) to two 115 AH marine batteries that I connected in parallel. After the inverter and a couple other odds and ends, it was around $800.00 total (not including the generator).

I use the system to light the entire camp with LED and CFL lights, play music, charge batteries/phone etc., and run some HF equipment nerds like me are wont to do. If I start with completely charged batteries, I am good for about 3 days if there is no sunshine. It gets extended to almost indefinitely if it is 100% sunny out all day. Generally when I get back the following weekend, the batteries are topped off.

I bought a little cheapy generator to charge up the batteries if I absolutely must, but otherwise I have been happy with it.

My reasons why I got this setup was pretty simple:
  • It was either this or a loud generator in one of the most quietest places in the US.
  • I like the fact that nobody has figured out how to charge any money for the fuel required in a solar power system.
  • I like tinkering with gadgets.
So to agree with many here: it depends.

I know this is a bit different than running panels on an Airstream, but just thought I would share.

- Jeff
Tech Admin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 10:42 AM   #78
2 Rivet Member

1959 22' Flying Cloud
Bishop , California
Hi Barts,
A quick question. I have seen pictures of your tin pickle but can't recall seeing the location of your panels. Just where did you find space for two panels? Side by side or fore and aft?
Thanks,
Tony
tonyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 11:39 AM   #79
Maniacal Engineer

1971 25' Tradewind
Lopez Island , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyp View Post
Hi Barts,
A quick question. I have seen pictures of your tin pickle but can't recall seeing the location of your panels. Just where did you find space for two panels? Side by side or fore and aft?
Thanks,
Tony
Here's a photo from our blog that shows the panels mounted on the roof...
These panels just fit between the vents...

- Bart
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	PacificCoast_1915.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	524.8 KB
ID:	174734  
barts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 01:46 PM   #80
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
For someone looking to buy perhaps new in a year - it seems the new ones are pre-wired...what considerations for those buying new? I suppose in that scenario IF you want the solar panels, you could work it into price negotiations and come out doing pretty well as far as that cost vs my installing it myself (which is perhaps moot cause I am honestly not that handy).

I think eventually I would want solar panels...I have been loving the idea of finding some cheap land up in around ft. payne alabama, could boondock there on weekends with the fam...or just for a weekend romantic getaway

But also could see the use of a generator since I live in AL - but it just depends I guess on if I would camp during the hot season away from shore power...and honestly I have no idea at this point....for beach trips I am guessing places will have shore power...but then again I saw something on that long long honeymoon site where in destin you can park on the beach....and as stated earlier that would be very cool to have the solar!

Great info here guys....thanks alot...this site continues to make me feel less and less ignorant about RV'ing as I continue to browse it!!
PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote