Old 09-19-2019, 03:53 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2019 27' Globetrotter
Sherwood Park , Alberta
Is anyone using a Victron Charger (not solar or inverter)

Hi,

I'm looking for a charging solution when plugged into shore/generator. I'm not happy with the stock converter and I'm already invested in the Victron Ecosystem with a 100/50 MPPT and BMV-712. I'd like to stick to Victron so I can have consolidated view of my devices through the Victron Connect app.

I don't want a combined charger/inverter, such a Multiplus, as this would take rewiring I'm not willing to pursue at this time.

I've seen this product: https://www.victronenergy.com/charge...rger#downloads

Does anyone have any experience with this charger or similar Victron products?

Thanks.

Omnial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 11:00 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Woodland , California
I'm pretty sure that charger is 230V AC only. I was thinking about this same approach since I am not sure I even need an inverter. But I could not find a Victron charger that was 120V AC and 50 amps that wasn't as large as a multiplus inverter/charger, in which case you are re-wiring anyway.

Mach5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 08:13 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado

Victron Phoenix smart charger will do what you need. Choose the 12/50 model vs the 30amp output version assuming you have 2 lead acid batteries in the system.....

Victron absolutely have a 120v version of the Phoenix IP43 smart charger... here are the specs...

https://www.victronenergy.com/upload...Charger-EN.pdf

Note that if you want to use this as a power supply (no 12v batteries in the system) you need to manually move to power supply mode via the victron connect app or ccgx or what have you. It’s not automatic like a traditional converter...
wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 11:39 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2019 27' Globetrotter
Sherwood Park , Alberta
Thanks Wulfrat.

Would it be possible to leave the stock WFCO converter in place, as is and add a new charger to the batteries? In this case both the WFCO converter and a new charger would be supplying power to the batteries. Would that confuse the controllers?

I also have a Victron MPPT 100/50 solar controller connected to the battery system.

Would this make sense?
Old 09-21-2019, 11:48 AM   #5
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omnial View Post
Hi,

I'm looking for a charging solution when plugged into shore/generator. I'm not happy with the stock converter and I'm already invested in the Victron Ecosystem with a 100/50 MPPT and BMV-712. I'd like to stick to Victron so I can have consolidated view of my devices through the Victron Connect app.

I don't want a combined charger/inverter, such a Multiplus, as this would take rewiring I'm not willing to pursue at this time.

I've seen this product: https://www.victronenergy.com/charge...rger#downloads

Does anyone have any experience with this charger or similar Victron products?

Thanks.
Hi

As mentioned in the duplicate thread you have running on the same topic, you need to be careful when shopping for Victron gear. They sell it all over the world. Some of it is set up only for 50Hz power. Some (like that charger) will only run on 230V. Not every model and type comes in a "US" version.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 12:04 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omnial View Post
Thanks Wulfrat.

Would it be possible to leave the stock WFCO converter in place, as is and add a new charger to the batteries? In this case both the WFCO converter and a new charger would be supplying power to the batteries. Would that confuse the controllers?

I also have a Victron MPPT 100/50 solar controller connected to the battery system.

Would this make sense?

There is no point in leaving the wfco in place in addition to the victron charger and yes it would confuse the victron charger when the wfco would produce a bulk charge.

You should only have one converter/charger in the system unless you have multiple disparate and isolated batteries in the system like a starter vs house system on a boat.

Your solar controller will go into float mode by default and produce little current if your converter/charger is running on shore power and your Victron equipment is not networked and configured accordingly to deliver energy with MPPT priority via VE.BUS with ccgx or wireless Bluetooth network which is not available on smart devices.

Why do you want to replace your wfco charger?
Old 09-21-2019, 12:10 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

As mentioned in the duplicate thread you have running on the same topic, you need to be careful when shopping for Victron gear. They sell it all over the world. Some of it is set up only for 50Hz power. Some (like that charger) will only run on 230V. Not every model and type comes in a "US" version.

Bob

Victron produce a 120v / 60hz/ 12v version of the Phoenix with options for 30A and 50A output.
Old 09-21-2019, 12:17 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2019 27' Globetrotter
Sherwood Park , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by wulfraat View Post

Why do you want to replace your wfco charger?
Thanks.
I have observed that the WFCO never really goes into bulk mode… See my other post: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f449...cs-200464.html

My goal is to speed up battery charging when on generator.

Alex.
Old 09-21-2019, 01:26 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado

Hi Alex. I read the other thread. I assume you are taking those screen shots of your BMV with solar disconnected? Is that the case?

If so I agree that your wfco is not going into bulk mode which is a problem. Next step is to verify the LED lights on the unit to confirm if so equipped (they should flash in a certain sequence for bulk vs absorb vs float).

If you are using your solar charger in addition to genset what mode is your solar charger in when all this is going on?

Finally - for troubleshooting you should disconnect the battery bank, disconnect the solar charger, plug into shore and measure DC voltage from the wfco (can use disconnected battery cables to do so). If it’s anything other than 13.6 this would indicate a problem as well.
Old 09-21-2019, 02:52 PM   #10
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Victron produce a 120v / 60hz/ 12v version of the Phoenix with options for 30A and 50A output.
Hi

In the other version of this same thread, the OP is going after a 230V only version of the Phoenix.....

=====

As long as you have lead acid batteries, getting a full charge (as opposed to about 80%) is going to take a while. Since you only run between 50% and 100%, that's about half way in terms of being charged .....

Bob
Old 09-21-2019, 04:30 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2019 27' Globetrotter
Sherwood Park , Alberta
Quote:
Hi Alex. I read the other thread. I assume you are taking those screen shots of your BMV with solar disconnected? Is that the case?

If so I agree that your wfco is not going into bulk mode which is a problem. Next step is to verify the LED lights on the unit to confirm if so equipped (they should flash in a certain sequence for bulk vs absorb vs float).

If you are using your solar charger in addition to genset what mode is your solar charger in when all this is going on?

Finally - for troubleshooting you should disconnect the battery bank, disconnect the solar charger, plug into shore and measure DC voltage from the wfco (can use disconnected battery cables to do so). If it’s anything other than 13.6 this would indicate a problem as well.
Hi again
I took the screenshots on a day that was cloudy and rainy and I was parked under heavy canopy of trees, so solar was not contributing much,If at all.

Yesterday, under bright sun and plugged into shore power I would turn solar on and off. When solar was turned on the voltage went above 14 and indicated it was in bulk mode. With solar off the battery monitor voltage would drop down to 13 V range, even though I was in a 60% state of charge.

I don’t see any lights on the electrical panel that indicate charge mode of the converter… Perhaps they are not visible in this configuration, if they exist at all.

I will check the voltage as you have advised.

Thanks.
Old 09-21-2019, 05:59 PM   #12
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

The status lights for the converter / charger are on the converter. Depending on which model you have there may be more of them or less of them ....

The stock AS converters are designed to *not* overdo the charging cycle. The idea is that a conservative charge is the best approach. Indeed, depending on exactly what batteries you have, this may or may not be the best way to go.

Bob