Old 01-12-2016, 03:04 PM   #29
Full time Airstreamer

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Anywhere , USA Living.Somewhere.Yonder
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinkersToy View Post
Pay attention to the term Generator vs Inverter. The Harbor Freight Predator for example is a generator. With the Honda, Yamaha and the Champion you get an Inverter with pure sine wave (same as the electricity from the power company) which may be important for some electronics including the Airstream battery charger.

The Champion unit looks interesting.
I have no particular love for harbor freight, but the title if the ad says inverter generator.

Old 01-12-2016, 03:14 PM   #30
4 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vero Beach , Florida
First off... To the original poster Jukeboxfun... Are you still there? Share some feedback if you would about whether this thread is helping answer your question.

Let's go back to that question: will the Champion unit you've identified run your AC?

The (too) simple answer: If your 15,000 BTU AC is. Dometic Penguin II like the one Airstream dropped on top of our 2014 Eddie Bauer 25 the answer is "yes".

The real answer is: It depends on what else you are running at the time. Two big contenders for the output of that generator are the converter and electric cooking appliances (think: microwave). Other loads could be killers like a coffee pot, hair dryer or even TVs and such. Your specific answer requires you to know (and manage) the loads other than the AC itself.

Here's a segment from a post in a thread from a while back on the calculations and results for our trailer given the specific configuration with which we travel (full thread at:http://www.airforums.com/forums/f42/...-140028-4.html :

Now, on to the question of "what can I run with one, or two Honda EU2000s?". I mentioned yesterday that I cannot run my factory installed AC (a Dometic Penguin II 15,000 BTU AC/heat pump which Dometic says draws 13.4 amps for the compressor plus 2.6 for the fan or 16.0 amps total) and microwave (Sharp carousel micro/convection at 12.5 amps as a microwave, more in convection mode) at the same time with the two EU2000s in parallel. I did not mention that there are other loads on the system. The other biggie is my aftermarket Progressive Dynamics 4655v converter/charger. The 55amp (DC) model draws up to 950 watts or 7.9 amps of AC.

When I fire up the generators and connect them to the trailer and want AC I assume that the converter usually wants all the power it can draw to charge batteries and handle the 12v load. Let's do the math...

16.0 amps of AC plus 7.9 amps of converter (23.9 amps total) at 120 volts is 2,868 watts. The Hondas are rated at 1,600 each continuous.... 3,200 for the pair. 2,868 is under their capacity. All is good. Now, GammaDog wants a frozen burrito to become a mouth burner and kicks in 12.5 amps of microwave and the total is 36.4 amps or at 120 volts 4,368 watts. That exceeds both the sustained 3,200 watt and max 4,000 watt output of the pair of Hondas and nasty things happen since the resulting voltage drop is bad for the burrito and any device on the system. (Has your "30 Amp" Airstream ever tripped a 30 amp breaker on a campsite pedestal? Mine has. Now you see how that happens. The breaker was likely working as designed. Thank you Square-D!). If the converter happened to be asleep at the time I hit the microwave "go" button the AC and micro would have worked. I know that it's a "smart charger". It might be smart enough to take a break now and again. If you had a similar experience and said "gee... that wasn't a problem last time I ran the micro and AC at the same time" it could be that "last time" your converter was not drawing full power to charge low batteries when you asked the microwave to cook your dinner.

The solution is to turn off any one of those loads so the other two don't overload the generator pair.

I hope that helps

Old 01-12-2016, 04:01 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Venice , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by GammaDog View Post
First off... To the original poster Jukeboxfun... Are you still there? Share some feedback if you would about whether this thread is helping answer your question.

Let's go back to that question: will the Champion unit you've identified run your AC?

The (too) simple answer: If your 15,000 BTU AC is. Dometic Penguin II like the one Airstream dropped on top of our 2014 Eddie Bauer 25 the answer is "yes".

The real answer is: It depends on what else you are running at the time. Two big contenders for the output of that generator are the converter and electric cooking appliances (think: microwave). Other loads could be killers like a coffee pot, hair dryer or even TVs and such. Your specific answer requires you to know (and manage) the loads other than the AC itself.

Here's a segment from a post in a thread from a while back on the calculations and results for our trailer given the specific configuration with which we travel (full thread at:http://www.airforums.com/forums/f42/...-140028-4.html :

Now, on to the question of "what can I run with one, or two Honda EU2000s?". I mentioned yesterday that I cannot run my factory installed AC (a Dometic Penguin II 15,000 BTU AC/heat pump which Dometic says draws 13.4 amps for the compressor plus 2.6 for the fan or 16.0 amps total) and microwave (Sharp carousel micro/convection at 12.5 amps as a microwave, more in convection mode) at the same time with the two EU2000s in parallel. I did not mention that there are other loads on the system. The other biggie is my aftermarket Progressive Dynamics 4655v converter/charger. The 55amp (DC) model draws up to 950 watts or 7.9 amps of AC.

When I fire up the generators and connect them to the trailer and want AC I assume that the converter usually wants all the power it can draw to charge batteries and handle the 12v load. Let's do the math...

16.0 amps of AC plus 7.9 amps of converter (23.9 amps total) at 120 volts is 2,868 watts. The Hondas are rated at 1,600 each continuous.... 3,200 for the pair. 2,868 is under their capacity. All is good. Now, GammaDog wants a frozen burrito to become a mouth burner and kicks in 12.5 amps of microwave and the total is 36.4 amps or at 120 volts 4,368 watts. That exceeds both the sustained 3,200 watt and max 4,000 watt output of the pair of Hondas and nasty things happen since the resulting voltage drop is bad for the burrito and any device on the system. (Has your "30 Amp" Airstream ever tripped a 30 amp breaker on a campsite pedestal? Mine has. Now you see how that happens. The breaker was likely working as designed. Thank you Square-D!). If the converter happened to be asleep at the time I hit the microwave "go" button the AC and micro would have worked. I know that it's a "smart charger". It might be smart enough to take a break now and again. If you had a similar experience and said "gee... that wasn't a problem last time I ran the micro and AC at the same time" it could be that "last time" your converter was not drawing full power to charge low batteries when you asked the microwave to cook your dinner.

The solution is to turn off any one of those loads so the other two don't overload the generator pair.

I hope that helps
Well said. You're 100% correct as we always turn off the AC when using a combo of other high power draw appliances. In the morning trying to combine the AC, coffee maker, hair dryer along with the electric side of hot water heater is a guaranteed breaker trip. When the coffee is made & hair dried, the AC goes back on.
TAC FL-47
2016 Nissan Titan XD Cummins Diesel
Mrjkq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 04:05 PM   #32
2 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Yorba Linda , California
Make sure your generator fits in your TV. We went with the Yamaha 2000 units they fit under the tonneau cover on my F250. We pack 2 in the summer to run AC and only one the rest of the year for battery maintenance. The single unit will also run my wife's hair dryer.
Old 01-12-2016, 04:21 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Venice , Florida
My generator purchase is still pending. Honda vs Yamaha & it's going to be a 2000 Yamaha then a companion if I feel the need. My decision is based on the Yamaha has a fuel shut off whereas the gas in the carburetor burns off & shuts the gen down leaving the carb empty. To my knowledge the Honda only has a shut off switch killing the engine.
TAC FL-47
2016 Nissan Titan XD Cummins Diesel
Mrjkq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 04:32 PM   #34
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Madison , Alabama
Dometic 3000W sine wave inverter genset will run a 15,000 BTU Coleman a/c. It can run a Dometic 11,000 BTU a/c. Only 1 at a time , though.

The genset weighs 82 lbs. Electric start, but no remote start. Recoil rope starter also. Built-in 30 amp twist lock recepticle + 2@ 15 amp. + 12VDC charging cable. Genset has wheels an handle like roller luggage.

I bought directly from Dometic at an RV rally for $900. Total amp output is 25 amps.

I bought it in March 2011, two weeks later our town had no electricity for 8 days due to tornadoes. It was very useful then & still works great.

Let's Roll !
Wolf
Wolf Alaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 04:37 PM   #35
2 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinkersToy View Post
Pay attention to the term Generator vs Inverter. The Harbor Freight Predator for example is a generator. With the Honda, Yamaha and the Champion you get an Inverter with pure sine wave (same as the electricity from the power company) which may be important for some electronics including the Airstream battery charger.

The Champion unit looks interesting.
Not true. Read the ad. Has built in inverter. From the product description: "Using built-in inverter technology this inverter generator produces a cleaner power curve ideal for sensitive electronics."

Not that I assume it is an excellent gen/inverter, but the price can't be beat if you can put up with a little noise. Of course I would be researching ways to decrease my power draw than shell out for inv/generators myself... but we are young and have an older trailer with smaller loads and are usually out and about during the day hiking or swimming biking etc...so not using AC.
Old 01-12-2016, 04:45 PM   #36
4 Rivet Member

2007 23' Safari SE
2016 23' International
Fernandina Beach , Florida
These generators are getting good reviews, and supposedly quieter and less expensive than the Hondas. Generac iQ: Quietest Portable/RV Generator EVER!! I own an older model Yamaha EF2400is which I recently had to replace the carb on. I would have gone tri-fuel if I had my druthers. I am also annoyed that they discontinued this model andthere is no longer a parallel option In this size. But it does run the AC in my '07 23 ft just fine (13,500BTU).
Old 01-12-2016, 05:13 PM   #37

2016 22' Sport
Olathe , Kansas
I have the Honda 3000i that runs everything witness no problem and is very quiet.
Old 01-12-2016, 06:43 PM   #38
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari
Attleboro , Massachusetts
I had an EB3000 Honda I bought to use in the pits with my stock car and camping. It was trouble free and powered the AC on my camper and ALWAYS started on the lightest pull. But, I'm not a big guy and I struggled to get it into the bed of my 4WD pickup. So I sold it (everyone wants Honda generators so the first person I mentioned it to grabbed it) and bought a pair of EU2000i's since that's what everyone at the track uses and everyone at the campground uses. I have a parallel kit so I have the 30A outlet. I understand that the plug is a limiting factor for output so you lose some if you just use and adapter. I can carry the EU2000s easily, they start as easy as expected, and at low load two are quieter than a single because they are barely working. Everyone I know that has Honda generators loves them...why mess with a good thing??
Old 01-12-2016, 07:01 PM   #39
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Manheim , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by GammaDog View Post

I hope that helps
Yes, I am following this thread. I appreciate the info. I have been researching myself for sometime. I think I might be leaning toward two of the Smarter tools models. This would be because of the price, reviews and the fact they use the Yamaha engine.

Thanks all!
Old 01-12-2016, 08:37 PM   #40
3 Rivet Member

2004 22' Safari
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJRitchie View Post
... it would be nice not to have to mess with two small generators in parallel.

Kelvin
The Honda 2000 and 2000 companion are hardly a "mess". One small cable which plugs into the face of each unit and Presto! I did see an older unit lately that had two 2000s and needed an interface panel... which was needed with that configuration, but at some point Honda made it easy with the companion.

If you are a ham radio operator, you can get an even better deal at Mayberry's!
Old 01-12-2016, 09:13 PM   #41
1 Rivet Member

2007 31' Classic
New Braunfels , Texas
I have had the Champion (no remote start) for two years. I leave it in the back of my Ram 2500 and run with the tailgate up and bedcover half open so I hardly notice it. Runs 15k ac but can't use the microwave simultaneously! Originally considered the Hondas but the Champion was half the price. No regrets so far...
Old 01-13-2016, 08:30 AM   #42
1 Rivet Member

2016 16' Sport
Santa Barbara , California
I use the Champion 3100 on my 16' Bambi Sport. It starts and runs the air conditioning just fine in Eco mode. I'm not sure of the decibel rating but it seems very quiet to me. I have about 60 hours on it. I have a pull start. I see no need for the remote as the pull,is very easy and it starts on the first pull every time. I am 67 years old and can lift it into the back of my Chevy Tahoe easily. I would highly recommend this generator.