Old 01-14-2008, 02:50 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

1965 22' Safari
Currently Looking...
Orinda , California
It is all variable. Years ago I was working for company and camping on weekends at Sierra. In 2 years I put 2 HR on generator and I was forcing it.
So on the following season I pulled the generator out. Not only I lost 400 lb of dead weight from the motorhome, but gained nice storage compartment.
But those were years when our camping was limited to weekends and I boiled coffee water on propane, so even during longer vacations, the 2 batteries lasted for 3 days and we never parked motorhome for longer than that.
Now we have not only much bigger coach, but being self-employed I start my camping weekends on Sunday and end of Friday. I also got spoiled and am using electric coffeemaker.
So 4 batteries last for 3 days and than I have to start generator. Hate build-in Generac and am using Honda quiet generator most of the time.

Old 01-14-2008, 02:53 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari SS SE
Trenton , Illinois
I use mine every year when I bow hunt in October and early November and then during the gun deer season in late November. It was 16 degrees overnight a few nights in a row and that drained my battery down to the point of recharge every night. The generator was essential for recharging.

When I bought my generator I decided to get the 3000 watt Kipor (back when it was only $800) so that I could use my A/C. I only used it once to run A/C in three years. I lost it in the RV fire, so now I have a chance to downgrade to a nice, relatively light 2000 watt unit.

Old 01-14-2008, 04:33 PM   #17
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up Boondock'n & Dog Shows

Quote:
Originally Posted by rettoc625
We use our Honda at agility trials and dry camping. When funds allow we will add a second Honda to allow for operation of the a/c. Our favorite campgrounds are the state and federal park systems that don't always have hookups.

Yes you do need to carry fuel, but you don't need a lot and if your tow vehicle is gas powered, you can siphon it from your tank.

Mary
We usually are Dock'n or Dog'n, neither of which have hook'ums, so the

Honda 2000 is a necessity, solved the gas problem with a dual mode

propane conversion.

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 05:29 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS
solved the gas problem with a dual mode propane conversion.
That's the way to go. Use those LP tanks and avoid the need for carrying gasoline. It also avoids the gasoline odor when I store my genset under the dinette table.
Old 01-14-2008, 06:38 PM   #19
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Keymar , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by rettoc625
Yes you do need to carry fuel, but you don't need a lot and if your tow vehicle is gas powered, you can siphon it from your tank.

Mary
That only works if your generator uses the same fuel as your TV. Mine does not. Gas generator, diesel TV. LP conversion would be the best way to go but the conversion kit company is hard to get a hold.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 09:09 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
I bought my Yamaha 3000SEB in April '06 and used it for a few hours near the end of the month during two weekends while running my 2 Fantastic Vent fans. I also ran it for a couple hours with the air conditioning on because it was very hot and I needed a good rest before going back into the field. I bought the 3000SEB just for this purpose if it was needed. I have one grp. 27 battery so it also helped put a small charge on it. It really came in handy during Nov. '06 for a couple weekends when the weather got down in the low 20's and I was using the furnace as well as a catalytic heater.

In April '07 I ordered two 100 watt solar panels, installed them in May and then added another 65 watt a few months later. This eliminated use of the generator in Sept. '07 when I ran both Fantastic Vent fans on high and the panels kept the battery near full charge. I did run it all night (6.5 hrs.) after 3 days of gun hunting for deer in Nov. and I wanted to be sure the battery remained near full charge.

Since I bought a new Trojan 27 TMH a few months ago, I plan on adding a twin maybe this spring in additon to a Trimetrics meter to tell me exactly where my batteries are. This hopefully will give me some peace of mind. If I didn't run the air conditioning every once in awhile when boondocking then I could get away with a single Honda 2000 for those really cold nights in Nov. and Dec. to supplement the catalytic heater. I also run the generator for about 30 minutes each month sometimes under load to keep the gen battery charged.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 09:37 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

1984 27' Sovereign
Oklahoma City , Oklahoma
Question Generator

Being new to the RV world, how does one run the RV with a generator? Do most have a 30 amp plug in receptical? Use an adapter or what?
Old 01-14-2008, 09:48 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
My Yamaha has a 3 blade generator female plug. It came with a 3 blade gen male plug adapter on one side and a 3 blade female RV plug on the other. The trailer 3 blade RV male plug connects into this. This is similar to many generators with a 30 amp female plug. A single Honda 2000 must use a 15 amp male plug to 30 amp female adapter to power the AC circuits with the expection of the air conditioning. For this, you must use two Honda 2000 gens with a parallel kit which can be ordered with the 30 amp female receptacle in it for a 13,500 BTU and up air conditioner. I think you can also get the kit with a 3 blade generator female plug but then you would have to add the adapter to your RV male plug.

AIR #0078
3.73 rear end
Old 01-14-2008, 10:27 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

1965 22' Safari
Currently Looking...
Orinda , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hwjoe
Being new to the RV world, how does one run the RV with a generator? Do most have a 30 amp plug in receptical? Use an adapter or what?
Old 01-15-2008, 08:21 AM   #24
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Keymar , Maryland
an adapter will be necessary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hwjoe
You will need an adapter. Even if the Generator has a 30 Amp plug it will be a residential 30 Amp and you need a RV 30 Amp.
For a 15/20 Amp plug on the generator there are many adapters available at most RV places.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 10:11 PM   #25
4 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
Ottawa , Ontario
We rarely have hookups. We are good for one night before we bring out the generator.

Looks like you have a new Airstream too gowyn, so you'll probably be in the same boat as us. The fridge fan alone and a bit of light/tv usage in a new Airstream will pretty much draw twin batteries down in one day (and yes the fridge is running on propane).

We have to run the generator about 3 hours minimum daily to keep the batteries at a decent level. My solution this year will be a 130W panel, but will still have to use the generator for about an hour.

Thankfully we don't use the A/C or we would be in real trouble!

Don't get me started on how quick our batteries go dead if we turn on the propane heater LOL.

Thats was my typical rant about how inefficient Airstream designs newer Airstreams compared to the 'good old days'.
campadk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 07:33 AM   #26
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Quote:
Originally Posted by campadk
We rarely have hookups. We are good for one night before we bring out the generator.

Looks like you have a new Airstream too gowyn, so you'll probably be in the same boat as us. The fridge fan alone and a bit of light/tv usage in a new Airstream will pretty much draw twin batteries down in one day (and yes the fridge is running on propane).

We have to run the generator about 3 hours minimum daily to keep the batteries at a decent level. My solution this year will be a 130W panel, but will still have to use the generator for about an hour.

Thankfully we don't use the A/C or we would be in real trouble!

Don't get me started on how quick our batteries go dead if we turn on the propane heater LOL.

Thats was my typical rant about how inefficient Airstream designs newer Airstreams compared to the 'good old days'.
Look at more efficient lighting for your trailer. Don't you have halogen round lights in your Bambi? If so, I think they are either 10 or 20 watts. They do make lower wattage halogens which you could put in some or all fixtures. Also keep your eyes open for the LED market which is producing better LED's as time goes on. Smaller fluorescents may also draw less current.

AIR #0078
3.73 rear end
Old 02-13-2008, 08:25 AM   #27
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Except for Rallys we boondock at State Parks and Forest Service campgrounds. The 2 of us can squeek out 3 nights of battery power with conserving power and that is with 2 movies. However, when daughter and family join us on a weekend campout.....so we bought a Honda 2000 last year. that is nice. At the end of summer after everyone had left the campground we were packing too. With everything ready to go I started.....start.....uh, oh. Car battery is dead . So I hauled out the trailer battery....aaagh...the last night of camping we got careless and that battery is gone too. Oh, what to do. Well, at the end of my Honda purchase I threw in the car battery charge adapter, $15. A 15 minute quick charge and the car started right up! Best $15 I have ever spent.

FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote