Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-28-2015, 08:25 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2011 28' Flying Cloud
Kingston , Nova Scotia
How many carry Generator

Hello again
Still looking for a generator and still not sure which one to get and I know Honda and Yamaha are the best but still looking at options. Leads me to question as to how many carry a generator while they are traveling for emergencies or just to have for convenience.

George
Rust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 08:52 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Here is what I found on my journey looking for a generator:

I do carry one. A generator is really the best backup and if you run it on LP, you eliminate one of the two most common issues with irregular use of generators- gummed up carbs from gas. It is also like solar on steroids. A few hours and your batts are fully charged.

What I will share I have shared before regarding brand- Yamaha or Honda. It really depends on what size you will be getting. Yamaha has some major advantages on their units under 3000 watts. They are very similar at 3000 watts. Above that size , you would have to look into the details. Shopping for my size range, this is what I found. People told me to get two Honda 2000 watt models. I compared that to one 2400 watt Yamaha. I needed about 1400 watts continuous to run my AC unit and, following the no more than 75% rule on continuous need to up to 75% of continuous capacity of the generator, that put me at around 2000 watts continuous with more for startup and miscellaneous. (my father is a generator mechanic)

As far as engineering and marketing, I found Honda markets their product much more; and, their parts I checked on were cheaper to replace, then I found out more detail. Unlike Honda, Yamaha units under 3000 watts have direct drive, fuel gauges, petcock valves and, the 2400isHC has a built-in start capacitor for 10 sec or so boost for engine starts. Yamaha also has auto idling to match load to running speed versus an eco switch that is manual. In an actual test report, the Yamaha 2400 was a bit louder at no load idle compared to the Honda 2000 but quieter at load. By the way, the reason the parts are cheaper is that some of the internal parts on the smaller Hondas are plastic. Add to that, belt driven. Considering my situation, I would've had to run two generators to get the power need using more fuel (LP) and requiring more service and costing more. The 72 lb. Yamaha is not horribly heavy so I believe for me it was the best decision. I ordered mine with the tri-fuel option so the modification was under warranty.

http://www.yamaha-propane-natural-ga...m/ef2400is.htm
Old 10-28-2015, 09:09 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
How many carry Generator

I carry 2 Yamaha 2,000 generators. Identical models. Unlike Honda with 2 separate models to run in parallel. The Yamaha run on gas.

Sent from my iPod touch using Airstream Forums
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 09:27 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
I always carry my 2000 honda, charges batteries, wife can fix her hair, watch a movie, very quiet and very trouble free....
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 09:30 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
I haven't bought one yet but a big consideration for me is how far to the repair shop for any warranty work or service. There are a couple authorized Honda service centers close to me. Yamaha service is not at all close so it would be a drive. You can't ship because of fuel in the tank/engine.

I think both brands have very good reviews. I don't know about plastic vs. metal parts but for pressure washers I was told that belt drive is better than direct drive because the vibration from the engine isn't transmitted to the pump. It was said it was easier to replace the pump too. Does that apply to the generator? I can't say, but again, something to consider when purchasing. I do like the idea of propane for fuel. That would be very handy and no problems with old fuel sitting in the carb, no gas cans to worry with.

I'd go with Honda just because of service but if I had a Yamaha service center close, I'd strongly consider it. I don't think you'd be wrong going with either of them.

I took the wife boondocking in August for 4 days and we've spent the night in the AS in cold weather a couple of times. She doesn't seem to be a fan, so we may just be using hookups and the generator isn't in my future.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 09:50 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
I have a 2001 25' Safari with the 11,000 BTU AC and a Honda 2000i which I have had for about 6 months. Unlike the 13,500 BTU units, the 2000i will start the 11,000 and sounds about like when it starts on shore power. I am gathering some parts to instrument the hookup to verify (or not) the statements I have read about excessive voltage dip and current surge when starting an AC on a single generator.

Last trip I carried the generator for the first time; all previous outings have been with full hookups. We were going to be dry camping with a potential for cooler temperatures so I thought it prudent to be able to charge the batteries. As it turns out, probably the only reason I needed it was to make coffee. After a night with the furnace running (not a lot, but running nonetheless) the battery indicator was still in the green. I don't know what voltage that translates to, but everything was still working fine. We have a true boondocking trip planned for next year and will be carrying it for sure.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 10:26 PM   #7
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Does this answer your question?

Matter of fact, these generators are so easy to service and maintain yourself. I was just doing so today.

I have 405 watts of solar to boot. But you do get cloudy and raining days, sometimes for longer than a day. A week ago in Moab we about 6 days of scatter storms and overcast skies and very low solar. So out came the generator.
Old 10-28-2015, 10:30 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
We have limited a solar power system but enough for us to leave the generator at home the last few years. The only reason we would need it is for air conditioning, we travel in moderate temperatures so have never used it.

Personally I don't like the noise or messing around with it and I prefer to travel light as possible.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 10:39 PM   #9
worried...happy...wo...ha

2015 25' FB International
Menlo Park , California
No generator for us. Solar all the way. With 200W panels and 200Ah Li-ion, we do not need any generator. This said, we do not use A/C. Power is enough to drive an espresso machine and for extended TV sessions with both TVs running all night. Batteries are back full after 3h of sunshine...
Knuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 10:49 PM   #10
Free Range Human

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Haines , Oregon
We use a combination of solar and generators. 150 watt Zamp, plus either a Yamaha 1000 or a Yamaha 2800. The 2800 when we might need the air conditioner.
Drathaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 11:22 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Bend , Oregon
We normally leave our champion 3000w gen at home as we stay mostly we hook ups. But we do like to stay at ski resorts in the winter and some remote boondocking in the summer. When I bought the gen I needed something to power the ac and the champ was too good a deal to miss. I am thinking of getting a smaller 1000w or 2000w unit for the winter as funds allow...
Old 10-28-2015, 11:39 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
How many carry Generator

Yamaha 2,400ishi, I always carry it. For me, this unit had the perfect amount of bang for the buck, and it is much more quiet than my previous generator. (Which was a Champion 3,000 By the way... it was reliable, and economical, but a little too noisy when placed at the front of my trailer)

It sucks having no power, and when it is hot it sucks to have no AC.

Brevi tempore!

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 11:53 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
I own a Honda 3000 and a Honda 1000 inverter generators. I have had them both apart and have done service work on a friends Honda 2000 inverter generator. None of them are belt driven. All are direct coupled. I don't know where the idea got started they are belt driven.

As for use when camping, I have a solar system on both my Airstream and Argosy and boondock almost exclusively. I virtually never camp where AC is needed. I have stopped even loading my Honda 1000 in the Jeep when I go camping as solar is all I need.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 12:06 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, I bought a Yamaha 2400 generator because it was the smallest, lightest, single generator that would run my air conditioner. It has two handles so two people could more easily carry it too.

As for the belt drive, I believe it is for the cam shaft, not the generator.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 03:17 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
I have more generators than I care to admit, all for different applications.

We rarely need A/C so when we do we just get a site with electric.

I carry a Honda 1000 just to charge batteries and it fits in the rear storage compartment. I run it dry for storage.
Old 10-29-2015, 04:26 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2012 31' Classic
Naples , Florida
Rust, I carry two Honda 2000i generators for use when shore power is unavailable. The generators can run in parallel providing sufficient to power the microwave and AC units simultaneously. Got the generators for full-timing use because the trailer was my home and I wanted my creature comforts. I store them in a large Pelican case locked away under cover in the pickup bed. A second box holds the gas can that supplies fuel to the generators similar to the setup in an outboard motor boat.

The trailer also has two solar panels to assist in keeping the batteries charged. That is their sole purpose.

Whatever generator you end up buying, please get a quiet one. I will be most appreciative when parked near you.
martian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 04:46 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
ottawa (greely) , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by idroba View Post
I own a Honda 3000 and a Honda 1000 inverter generators. I have had them both apart and have done service work on a friends Honda 2000 inverter generator. None of them are belt driven. All are direct coupled. I don't know where the idea got started they are belt driven.

As for use when camping, I have a solar system on both my Airstream and Argosy and boondock almost exclusively. I virtually never camp where AC is needed. I have stopped even loading my Honda 1000 in the Jeep when I go camping as solar is all I need.
The honda 1000 and 2000 ,3000?watt inverter generators have a rubber type timing belt this is were people are getting the idea about a belt ,this is from the arguments on honda 2000 or Yamaha 2400? Brand comparisons, the Yamaha uses gear to gear for timing ,it will last longer ,cost more to fix,it will weigh more,be noisier,the honda uses a rubber type belt not sure on material breakdown as it could have Kevlar in its composition, it cost less to replace, it's quieter,lighter, but doesn't last as long as gears used on the Yamahas mind you a timing belt on a car should be replaced at approx 90000.0 miles depends on make of car, that's a lot of generator hours , and for those people that don't follow maintenance and like to push things my friends Volkswagen diesel ,replaced his timing belt at 200000.0 miles ! That's pushing it . If the timing belt breaks it (could )cause internal engine damage. The honda generator has no maintenance on replacement of this timing belt! Hope this sets the story straight on the rubber belt story! Oh I don't carry (my honda )generator unless I'm going to use a.c. ( that's like never)
Don
2012 silverado ext cab 4x4 ,5.3 L , 6 speed trans,3:42 final drive,tow package standard box 6 1/2 foot . 2014 honda forza 300 scooter, #2 2015 honda crf 250 L (Dual sport)
scamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 04:47 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Quote:
I own a Honda 3000 and a Honda 1000 inverter generators. I have had them both apart and have done service work on a friends Honda 2000 inverter generator. None of them are belt driven. All are direct coupled.
Idroba, the belt is listed as a part to replace. Also:

The belt is clearly shown and the plastic oil slinger. It is an overhead cam design versus the yamaha Pushrod with no belt. Also, see this video at 2:58. They compare the two brands on smaller generators. Note too the engine life rating. The belt works well in the Honda but it is one more thing to service and potentially something to go wrong. I shop in depth and scrutinize things, some may not matter to others. It's just my findings and opinion.

Both brands are good; however there are differences. If you watch the second youtube video, the differences are clear.

Richw46, yeah the closest dealer/service center to you in Lexington, KY is Somerset, KY or Mount Sterling, KY- not too far but a drive. I used to live in Carroll County. Both Honda and Yamaha have lots of service centers though I am not sure you should need service that often.

Scamp, the engine life the Honda is half of the Yamaha. The 2000 engine is half the size of the 2400 at 98cc versus 171cc (123cc on the 2000 Yamaha) and there are several other differences though each model would have to be compared.
Old 10-29-2015, 04:58 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
My honda 2000 is a direct drive,it does have belt to run the overhead camshaft like the ohv automotive engines, I have had no problems with it in 10 years of ownership......
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 05:11 AM   #20
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rust View Post
Hello again
Still looking for a generator and still not sure which one to get and I know Honda and Yamaha are the best but still looking at options. Leads me to question as to how many carry a generator while they are traveling for emergencies or just to have for convenience.

George

George,

I carry for convenience....and use a belt to keep my knickers up. :roll eyes:

Red, Blue....both very good.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC08281.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	415.8 KB
ID:	251264   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC08284.jpg