Old 10-30-2015, 10:46 AM   #58
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimin pa View Post
Man I guess I'm behind times ,I just use my miller portable welder
Awesome! Noise, smoke sparks.... Nothing like a Millermatic to make camping friends!

Old 10-30-2015, 02:49 PM   #59
4 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vero Beach , Florida
To SteveSueMac's question: There are several aftermarket conversion kits for Honda generators. I chose Propane Carbs for several reasons. They are tri fuel; they come with a regulator so you can use low pressure (from the Airstream's LP port) or high pressure (directly from an LP cylinder) propane; they do not require modification of the Honda's carburetor; and they mount the demand regulator (that's the thing that looks like a propane regulator but sits right next to the generator and performs the function of a carburetor) on a steel bar so it is no necessary to drill out the generators cover. Here's the link: https://www.propanecarbs.com/honda-e...onversion.html

Installation was pretty easy. Took 90 min for the first one and abut 45 for the second (learning curve and tool locating took 45 minutes but just once). The kits must be tuned and that was pretty easy too.

I built the platform they ride on and fabricated the tee fittings and quick disconnects. My Eddie Bauer has a 1/4" low pressure LP quick disconnect on the front which is compatible with the Camco and MB Sturgis model 250 products. If you fabricate gas fittings 1. Use gas rated PTFE (Teflon) tape for threaded joints. It's twice as thick as the regular stuff and is usually yellow. And 2. Leak test joints using a bubble solution.

There are pics my setup is my photo gallery. I'm happy to answer questions if you've got any.
Old 10-30-2015, 03:05 PM   #60
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
2009 27' FB International
2007 25' Safari
Greensboro , North Carolina
Generator

I carry a Northern Tool, 4000w, electric start generator in the bed of my truck. Also, I have a ramp to allow it down to the ground, a small winch to bring it back up into the bed.

Also in the bed: PORTER-CABLE 0.8-HP 6-Gallon 150-PSI 120-Volt Pancake Electric Air Compressor puts out 2.6 SCFM at 90 PSI, 5 gallons of gasoline with StaBil, 50 ft air hose, wheel chocks inc Anderson quick levelers, sewage hoses, various blocks for under the stabilizer jacks and tongue jack, various lubricants, emergency reflectors, and of course the auxiliary 60 gallon fuel tank.

All of the above is for me when I travel alone, I can handle many situations which may be problematic otherwise.

As to the generator, I have replaced the fuel line which failed, dumping fuel in the bed...not good...but otherwise for less than $600 the generator has been fabulous. It is not quiet, but with a large matt on top while running it is acceptable. My plans are to purchase a 5,000w Yamaha or Honda with remote start so I do not have to leave the trailer in the morning to be able to watch TV of make expresso. Also, if an A/C unit is operating, 5,000w should allow the espresso machine concurrently.
AIR #31871 WBAC #4165 K4MTL

www.fantinesvoice.com
Msmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 04:11 PM   #61
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
North Central , USA
This is what I've done in the way of generators:
I have one Honda 2000 that always goes with me/us. It's over 10 years old, no problems with fuel, I always use Stabil and run it dry. The problem is the 2000 has no easy way to run it dry other than leaving it on till empty. However there's two easier ways to run the carb out, one is to disconnect a wire from the on/off switch or add a petcock, both of mine (we have 2) have petcocks. YouTube has videos for both options.

My 2nd 2000 is their companion model with the 30amp (not RV type) receptacle for parallel operation. Also have a 5 gal 'long run' tank and accessories for over 8 hour runs. The 2nd unit & acc. only go when we expect to be off-grid for a while.

This set-up evolved over the years, it's real-estate intensive. Today I would seriously look at the Yamaha 2400. The biggest drawback I see there is the gravity feed fuel does not allow 'run-long' tanks, if using gas. Propane is another option and/or solution.

One other issue I've found with the Honda ECO vs Yahaha's auto sys. is start-up current draw for our a/c will stall one or both gens if not turned on, they do not respond quick enough, usually. That uses a lot of fuel.
Old 10-30-2015, 08:44 PM   #62
Rivet Master

2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri
How many carry Generator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RivetED View Post
This is what I've done in the way of generators:
I have one Honda 2000 that always goes with me/us. It's over 10 years old, no problems with fuel, I always use Stabil and run it dry. The problem is the 2000 has no easy way to run it dry other than leaving it on till empty. However there's two easier ways to run the carb out, one is to disconnect a wire from the on/off switch or add a petcock, both of mine (we have 2) have petcocks. YouTube has videos for both options.

My 2nd 2000 is their companion model with the 30amp (not RV type) receptacle for parallel operation. Also have a 5 gal 'long run' tank and accessories for over 8 hour runs. The 2nd unit & acc. only go when we expect to be off-grid for a while.

This set-up evolved over the years, it's real-estate intensive. Today I would seriously look at the Yamaha 2400. The biggest drawback I see there is the gravity feed fuel does not allow 'run-long' tanks, if using gas. Propane is another option and/or solution.

One other issue I've found with the Honda ECO vs Yahaha's auto sys. is start-up current draw for our a/c will stall one or both gens if not turned on, they do not respond quick enough, usually. That uses a lot of fuel.

I add Seafoam to my fuel then top off the tank before I put my gens away (this eliminates condensation)Then I am good to go in the spring.I do this with every gas powered item that I own (motorcycles,mowers,boats etc).Fuel remains fresh and does not grow algae due to ethanol (the main carburetor killer).Not all fuel stabilizers work anymore due to the ethanol blend.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 10-30-2015, 08:51 PM   #63
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
Fort Myers , Florida
Quote:
Gamma - how did you convert them to propane? I want to do this for mine.
Here is some info SteveSueMac. They did mine for me but they also sell the kits. Check out the snorkel. They also are good to talk to.

http://www.motorsnorkel.com
Old 10-30-2015, 11:03 PM   #64
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Thanks everyone who provided tips to convert to propane! Will check out over the winter.
Old 10-31-2015, 04:39 AM   #65
4 Rivet Member

2007 20' Safari
Saco , Maine
Freezing Temperatures?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsmblue View Post
We normally leave our champion 3000w gen at home as we stay mostly we hook ups. But we do like to stay at ski resorts in the winter and some remote boondocking in the summer. When I bought the gen I needed something to power the ac and the champ was too good a deal to miss. I am thinking of getting a smaller 1000w or 2000w unit for the winter as funds allow...
If you use your Airstream at ski areas in the winter, how do you avoid having frozen tubes and pipes, especially where the trailer has an outdoor shower and the tanks under the body? I had assumed that using mine in freezing temperatures would not be feasible. Am I wrong about that?
Old 10-31-2015, 08:51 AM   #66
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne&Sam View Post
I have more generators than I care to admit, all for different applications.

We rarely need A/C so when we do we just get a site with electric.

I carry a Honda 1000 just to charge batteries and it fits in the rear storage compartment. I run it dry for storage.
Ha, me too. I just love machinery.

OLD massive 3800 Generac (circa 1978) that I inherited from my dad when he sold the house

2 Hondas 2000s for RVing

Craftsman 2400 (circa) 1986 ( gave to son for power outages)

One of those cheap Chinese 1000 2 strokes marketed everywhere (was on clearance for $69 an I couldn't resist)

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 05:50 AM   #67
3 Rivet Member

1990 29' Excella
Stone Mountain , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaineStreamer View Post
If you use your Airstream at ski areas in the winter, how do you avoid having frozen tubes and pipes, especially where the trailer has an outdoor shower and the tanks under the body? I had assumed that using mine in freezing temperatures would not be feasible. Am I wrong about that?
________
When we have used our trailer at below freezing temperatures, like in the snow, we have it fully drained and winterized. Then we carry gallon jugs of water with us and we only use the water for sink and as little toilet use as possible, and we pour RV antifreeze in the BW tank and leave the GW tank line open to drain. When we are ready to leave we boil water and pour it down the sink to melt any water that has frozen in the GW line or on the slinky hose, then put everything away.

Dump the BW tank when you get home or to a warmer spot. Without your water system fully operational however, its not the Ritz. If I was skiing I think I'd get a room at the chalet.

WBCCI 2456 Georgia Unit 32
1990 Excella 29' Centramatics
2016 GMC Sierra Crew Cab 2500 HD 4x4
6.6L Duramax + Allison, 3.73 axles
dcasr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 07:27 AM   #68
3 Rivet Member

2001 34' Limited
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
Thanks everyone who provided tips to convert to propane! Will check out over the winter.

One more to add to your research.....

Propane Kits for Honda Inverter Generators by GenConneX

Added this conversion just after purchase of my Honda2000. Pretty simple & I liked the neatness of the regulator being inside the case. It's not the cheapest kit however, but I've been happy with it. Also added a Quick Connect port aft of the dual 40's on the AS. With a 6 foot supply hose I can set the generator in the back of the truck and run it from there. It's a nice clean set-up.

Fulltime in 2013 and LOVING it !!
truxpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 08:30 PM   #69
3 Rivet Member

2011 28' Flying Cloud
Orillia , Ontario
Generator

Thanks for all the help with the generator issue and now I have to find a goo deal.

George
Old 11-23-2015, 04:57 PM   #70
Rivet Master

2014 23' FB Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Dumb newbie question...

I am considering either a Honda or Yamaha 1000w or 2000w generator as well. I am going to get a Mr. Heater catalytic heater, but want to do some dry winter camping, and might get a generator just to have if needed.

My question: A model like the Yamaha EF2000is is a "inverter generator." What does that mean? Do you plug it into the shore power using a 3-prong 30 amp to 2-prong household converter plug like when plugged in at home?

Also, any advice on 1000w vs 2000w? I don't use a microwave, will use the furnace limited, and likely no tv (I'm not going out there to watch tv )

Would a 1000 watt support the occasional hair dryer use if used on medium?

With the 2000w being only about $180 more than the 1000w, it's tempting to just go ahead and get it to be safe. But if the 1000w is much quieter (it's 52cc vs 78cc), lighter, and fuel efficient...it might be enough?

Thanks all,

Peter