Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar > Generators & Solar Power
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-05-2010, 07:47 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2008 23' Safari FB SE
Boulder , Colorado
How long will gas last in generator?

We just finished our first boondocking trip and our next trip is currently planned for late August. How long can I leave the gasoline in the generator sitting before it goes bad/gums up the carburator?

I know I can add stabil but just wondering if anyone has experience leaving it for a couple of months without issues.

Gens: 2 Honda EU 2000i units.
bonginator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 07:59 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
The only time I have gone past 30 days it gummed up the carb on my 2000i

Carb cleaning on one of those is no fun.
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 08:00 AM   #3
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Temperature makes a big difference. Two months is pushing it in the summer.

We'll probably have a long thread on the benefits or not of Sta-bil since the topic brings posters out of the woodwork whenever it comes up. It is my view that it does nothing to improve the storage life of gasoline, based on both experience and my understanding, such as it is, of the chemistry involved.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 08:13 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2008 23' Safari FB SE
Boulder , Colorado
Interesting -guess I need to get the siphon out and then run until empty!
Old 07-05-2010, 08:32 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Thats pretty much what I do. I usually run it dry then pull off the side cover and drain the bowl to get the last few drops out. Its so easy to do it's just not worth taking the chance of a plugged carb (again)
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 09:17 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
On the long long long honey moon...Sean says they will give power for about 19 hours.
Old 07-05-2010, 09:25 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari
New Smyrna Beach , Florida
I regularly leave gas treated with Marine Stabil in my Honda 3500 for six to eight months without issue. That way I'm set for hurricane season.
nsbcpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 09:35 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1969 25' Tradewind
Irmo , South Carolina
Two year old gas with sta-bil in mine fired right up during a power outage a couple of weeks ago. I filled it back up and treated it with sta-bil once again before returning it to storage. After two years, I figured it wasn't going to run, but it started right up and ran just fine. I'm convinced that the stuff works.
AIR #8891
Unrestored 1969 25' Tradewind
Overkill Tow Vehicle of the Year Award:
2001 GMC 3500 4x4 Dually 6.6L Duramax
Journalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 09:42 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Greenville , South Carolina
I run the gas out of the carb, but leave it in the tank with no problems , gas over a year old using stabilizer.
SilverHoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 10:00 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1978 28' Ambassador
Kenton , Ohio
My small engine mechanic said to siphon all but a pint out and start it every month or so. He also said to make sure that you put a load on the generator to exercise the generator itself as well as the engine.
Old 07-05-2010, 12:10 PM   #11
Maniacal Engineer

1971 25' Tradewind
Lopez Island , Washington
Silverhoot has it right...

Carb jets get plugged because the light components in gasoline evaporate and leave heavier stuff ("varnish") behind. If you leave the gas on, the carb refills from the tank all the time and you've got plugged jets. Turn off the gas supply and run the carb dry, and you're fine.

- Bart
barts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 01:53 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by barts View Post
Silverhoot has it right...

Carb jets get plugged because the light components in gasoline evaporate and leave heavier stuff ("varnish") behind. If you leave the gas on, the carb refills from the tank all the time and you've got plugged jets. Turn off the gas supply and run the carb dry, and you're fine.

- Bart
I just picked up a Honda EU2000i, and if I am inderstanding the manua correctly the engine shut off switch both cuts the igntion and closes the fuel supply valve so it wouldn't be possible to shut the fuel off and run the carb dry.

That is certainly what I would have preferred to do. Is there a simple workaround on the EU 2000i that allows you to do this perhaps?

Brian

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 02:34 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
I have a small engine shop and I recommend not leaving untreated fuel in a tank or carburetor for more than 30 days. All major mfgrs. now are recommending the same. I do use Sta-Bil in my own personal equipment year round. I only store about 10 gallons at a time.(2 /5gallon containers,plastic) This means I have treated fuel in everything at all times,that includes mix for weedeaters and chainsaws and backpack blowers. Most of the time my saws dont get started for a yr or more.
I have not experienced any carburetor problems in the past 20 yrs I have used the product.
So treat your fuel source and you should be ok.
Roger
PS Please don't try to mix fuel treatment in the tank, only in the fuel source,the container you carry to fuel to your genni in, be it 2 gal 5 gal or whatever,always treat the source.Only use 2 1/2 oz per 5 gal.
Good Luck
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 06:53 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2008 23' Safari FB SE
Boulder , Colorado
eu2000 carb drain

I drained the carbs on my eu2000 this weekend - very easy process.

It is in the manual and took mess less than 5 mins per generator:

Burn gas out of main gas tank until empty or low
Open front servicie cover
Turn drain screw below carb and catch gas coming out of drain tube
Open rear top service cover
Disconnect spark plug cover
Turn gen switch to on and pull starter 3 times - more gas drains from tube
Close all up in reverse starting with spark plug cover

I am letting mine sit for 30 days so we;ll see how they start.
Old 07-11-2010, 09:25 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1999 23' Safari
Perrysburg , Ann Arbor
Interesting discussion. I've got two Yamaha generators, and I always do the same thing ... when I'm shutting down for more than a refuel or a few hours, I shut off the fuel shutoff petcock at the tank and let the engine run until it shuts itself down because it runs out of gas (I'm supposing that this drains the fuel line and the float bowl, etc.) Then I open to float bowl drain (they've both got small screws for this - just in case I could get a few more drops out, but seldom get aything. Then crank the engine a few revolutions to suck out anything remaining in the jets, and I think I'm good to go. At least have never had a problem.

And like Roger, I use Sta-Bil in the big cans when they are filled ... might not do any good, but doesn't seem to do any harm!
AirsDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 10:17 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

1993 30' Excella
Lakeland , Florida
With the newer fuel requirements with cleaners things are better but every 3 months adding a little tech-ron fuel cleaner will keep everything sparkley clean. I used it in a gas motorhome for years and probably didn't fire the onboard generator up once every 3 months .
arcamedies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 12:44 PM   #17
1972 Travelux Princess 25

Cobourg , Ontario
With Stabilizer added gas will keep up to several years depending on temperature. Without it, several months.

Drain the gas and use it in your lawn mower or put it in your car tank. If you add stabilizer fill the tank and run the engine for a few minutes. This way you will be sure the gas in the carb has stabilizer in it. The reason for filling the tank is that the less air in the tank the less condensation and corrosion.

When you restart, a shot of methanol will pick up any water. Methanol is the same thing as dry gas sold at gas stations, but cheaper.
Old 02-06-2012, 01:55 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Marietta , Georgia
Is it necessary to drain the carb if you shut off the gas and run the generator dry? I have a Honda EU3000is and want to make sure I don't gum up the carb.

Thanks,
pickerdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 02:56 PM   #19
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by pickerdd View Post
Is it necessary to drain the carb if you shut off the gas and run the generator dry? I have a Honda EU3000is and want to make sure I don't gum up the carb.

Thanks,
I would being that it so easy and quik.
r carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 02:57 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Fresno , California
Drain it!

Hi there,
30 days is about as long as gas will last (in California) without a stabilizer. California gasoline is worse than gasoline everywhere else! It's formulated to comply with Emisson regulations, so it burns a little cleaner but it does not last long at all. A stabilizer with help keep if good for about 4-6 months.
I worked in a Honda motorcycle/generator dealership service department for a few years and carb cleans were the most commom repair.
Even if you have bad fuel it may fire up, but expect it to be tempermental. it may run fine for a while but eventually, the bits of debris will clog the passage ways and cause dying or rough running. Sometimes, the debris can settle and it may run again, but it won't be great until the debris is removed.
Adding stablizer can be easy to forget. Make a point to be diligent about it and you will save yourself a headache. A month goes by fast! Don't forget the stabilizer!

Cheers!
Cara
Mrs.Mod is offline   Reply With Quote