Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-03-2008, 12:21 PM   #81
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatsandi
Onan- Gas propane or LNG?
Both of the Onans I mentioned are gas.

2003 GMC 3500 D/A, CC, LB, 4x4 and 2000 Airstream Excella 30. WBCCI 7074
Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 11:53 PM   #82
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
I bit the bullit.

Hi, my final decission was made tonight; I ordered the Yamaha 2400 generator. I read all of your experiences and opinions; And I'm greatful for all of your posts on this subject. Now I will tell you why I made this personal decission.

(1.) I only want one generator, but not too heavy.

(2.) Solar won't run my 110 appliances.

(3.) I want one generator to operate one 11,000 BTU air conditioner and/or keep my batteries up while boon docking.

(4.) I will, at this time, run it on gas pumped out of my tow vehicle. [no gas cans]

(5.) Red and Blue are reliable and quiet; Blue matches my [Airstream] stripes.

(6.) Price was decent. $1075.99 free shipping, insurance included, and no sales tax. [Wise Sales]

(7.) Yamaha can also be paralleled.

(8.) Wife gave me the "go-ahead" and order it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	My Picture CD 235 (Large).jpg
Views:	143
Size:	85.2 KB
ID:	62320  
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 08:49 AM   #83
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
I purchased a Honda eu2000i because of this thread and love it, I added an hour meter which is very nice. I needed the light weight as I take it to my boat at least once sometime twice a week. I like the ability to add a second generator if need. At some point I think I am going to camo the outside no use advertising it's existence when camping.
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 10:50 AM   #84
_

. , .
ok!

it is great 2 c this thread go FULL CIRCLE...

and that r/s gets his blue yami and j/c a red 'da...

once again folks have made TWO great choices...

for all the right reasons.

so keep us plugged IN...

to your genset usage and how each product fits the needs...

or not.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 05:12 PM   #85
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up This Is Us..

Little red 2000 works great on petrol or pane..

First time using the Honda on propane, a little tweeking and everything

working great. Very easy to change back and and forth too..
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	A LITTLE HIGH IN THE DACKS.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	87.0 KB
ID:	62456  
Old 06-17-2008, 01:27 PM   #86
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
Ok, all my searching could not address this question; will either the small (1000) Honda or Yami, converted for gas and propane, be enough to charge my batteries and run a coffee maker and the heater (not necessarily simultaneously)? A/C is not a concern for us.
Given these conditions, which would be better choice?
Which is quieter?

Looks like silvertwinkie and azflycaster went this route? Are you pleased?

Thanx, Bill
Old 06-17-2008, 01:31 PM   #87
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
depends on what heater you are using
Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 02:06 PM   #88
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne&Sam View Post
depends on what heater you are using
Suburban...
Old 06-17-2008, 02:12 PM   #89
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillTex View Post
Ok, all my searching could not address this question; will either the small (1000) Honda or Yami, converted for gas and propane, be enough to charge my batteries and run a coffee maker and the heater (not necessarily simultaneously)? A/C is not a concern for us.
Given these conditions, which would be better choice?
Which is quieter?

Looks like silvertwinkie and azflycaster went this route? Are you pleased?

Thanx, Bill

Our first genny was a Yami 1000.
It did run the Polonis Disc Heater, and did a fine job keeping the batt's
charged. (but could not do both at the same time).

Have had the Honda 2000 for three seasons now with no issues whatsoever. If we ever feel it necessary to run the AC on portable power
we'll just get another one. They are both very quiet units. I really don't think the 2000 is any louder than the Yami was.
FWIW

Not to change the subject, but has anyone out there done the Honda 2000 conversion and been able to "hide" the low pressure regulator.
This is the way we ended up doing it. Just wonder'n.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	PROPANE_CONVERSION,_HONDA_2000_011.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	62496   Click image for larger version

Name:	PROPANE_CONVERSION,_HONDA_2000_001.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	62497  

Old 06-17-2008, 02:28 PM   #90
Rivet Master

1998 31' Excella 1000
South Berwick , Maine
Quote:
Have had the Honda 2000 for three seasons now with no issues whatsoever. If we ever feel it necessary to run the AC on portable power
we'll just get another one. They are both very quiet units. I really don't think the 2000 is any louder than the Yami was.
FWIW

Not to change the subject, but has anyone out there done the Honda 2000 conversion and been able to "hide" the low pressure regulator.
1.) Did you do the conversion?
2.) Where did the kit come from (USCarb)?
3.) Can the gen set still be run on gas?
peegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 05:27 PM   #91
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Bob, is it necessary to mount the LP regulator on the side cover? Can it be mounted on a hanger and hung off the tank? Second question can the LP regulator handle 2 eu2000i's or is a second LP regulator required? I just thought of another, is the orientation of the LP regulator of any importance? Can it lay flat or at an angle?

Thanks Jim
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Old 06-17-2008, 07:28 PM   #92
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Thumbs up

FWIW

This is the way we ended up doing it. Just wonder'n.[/quote]

1.) Did you do the conversion?
2.) Where did the kit come from (USCarb)?
3.) Can the gen set still be run on gas?[/quote]

1. Yep, not too difficult at all. The terminology took a little getting used too and the instructions were very generic because of the many different applications. They do leave it up to you to figure out the "small" stuff. (the way to mount the low press reg, and how to route the gas line etc.)
2. It is a US Carb conversion. I understand that in the past they left it up to the customer to drill the carb venturi to install the LP line. Guess it was kind of scary for a lot of folks. You now send them your carb and they do that operation themselves.
3.It is a dual mode system, and pretty easy to switch back and forth. After some trial and error the procedure I've been using is to start the gen on petrol, close the Honda gas cap vent and shut down the gas supply line. (the petcock is not supplied with the kit.) When the engine starts to stumble just turn on the LP. I always shut down while running on gas, i've found it's a bit easier to re-start, and instructions say you need to keep the gas tank at least 1/2 full.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Clark View Post
Bob, is it necessary to mount the LP regulator on the side cover? Can it be mounted on a hanger and hung off the tank? Second question can the LP regulator handle 2 eu2000i's or is a second LP regulator required? I just thought of another, is the orientation of the LP regulator of any importance? Can it lay flat or at an angle?

Thanks Jim
Jim.

The only provision for the regulator is it should be mounted vertically and you need to be able to get to the primer button on the back side.
I see no reason why one regulator couldn't run two gens. The size of the regulator is determined by the HP of the gen. You do have a mixture adjustment screw, so that might be a question US Carb should answer.

Hope this helps gang....Bob
Old 06-17-2008, 07:36 PM   #93
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Thanks, good information.

BTW I also have an hour meter, well worth the money.
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Old 06-18-2008, 06:38 AM   #94
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post

Our first genny was a Yami 1000.
It did run the Polonis Disc Heater, and did a fine job keeping the batt's
charged. (but could not do both at the same time).

FWIW

Bob, I gotta' ask a stupid question; how do you NOT charge the batteries while running your heater?
I still have uni-volt in the Excella...
If I am plugged into the genset, I either have power to the camper or no power, those are my only 2 options (master switch).
I need to have the master switch on to have power going to the heater (or anything) which means the batteries, by default, would be drawing power also.

Am I missing something?

Thanx, Bill
Old 06-18-2008, 01:53 PM   #95
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Question Tesla help

Quote:
Bob, I gotta' ask a stupid question; how do you NOT charge the batteries while running your heater?
I still have uni-volt in the Excella...
If I am plugged into the genset, I either have power to the camper or no power, those are my only 2 options (master switch).
I need to have the master switch on to have power going to the heater (or anything) which means the batteries, by default, would be drawing power also.

Am I missing something?

Thanx, Bill

No Bill I don't think your missing anything, I've pondered the same question ever since we got the 03 Classic. After having the 63 Safari for 18 yrs with separate 12v and 120 it took awhile to get used to the "new"
system.
Awhile back I asked a similar question. My batteries boiled dry after 10days on shore power. (I now check them every couple days when on S.P.) I made the mistake of thinking that wouldn't happen with the new up-to-date system..oops. I have yet to come up with a way to isolate the batteries and still use the furnace, water pump or anything else for that matter.
Maybe there is a Tesla helper here on the Forum that can shed more light on the subject..sorry bout da pun.
Old 06-18-2008, 07:56 PM   #96
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
now being enjoyed by Heath and Mary in , Vermont
The HONDA / YAMAHA discussion makes me curious as to whether anyone has any experience with or opinion on the Japanese SABARU ROBIN line.

Subaru Robin - Features and Benefits

Sergei
SmokelessJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 10:09 PM   #97
2 Rivet Member

2000 31' Excella
montgomery , Alabama
I have a Yamaha EF2800i. Has anyone tried that? It runs the AC on my 31 Excella fine and only weighs 64 lbs.
Ramble Can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 10:34 PM   #98
3 Rivet Member

1990 25' Excella
Currently Looking...
Glenburn , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post

No Bill I don't think your missing anything, I've pondered the same question ever since we got the 03 Classic. After having the 63 Safari for 18 yrs with separate 12v and 120 it took awhile to get used to the "new"
system.
Awhile back I asked a similar question. My batteries boiled dry after 10days on shore power. (I now check them every couple days when on S.P.) I made the mistake of thinking that wouldn't happen with the new up-to-date system..oops. I have yet to come up with a way to isolate the batteries and still use the furnace, water pump or anything else for that matter.
Maybe there is a Tesla helper here on the Forum that can shed more light on the subject..sorry bout da pun.

Bob, it's really going to depend on how big the draw of your coffee maker is. My little 4 cup Mr. Coffee only draws about 750 watts when keeping the coffee warm, but when the coffee is brewing it wants just as much juice as it's bigger brother - that 12 cup wanker. Then they both expect at least 1250 watts... too much draw for a 1K genset to handle. So, Bob, is there any real reason to eschew the old stovetop perk coffee maker or that old Melitta decanter you have gathering dust in a box in the garage?

My '90 Excella draws about 9.1 amps/hour when operating the heater with the burner firing and about 8 a/h when it's just the fan blowing. The Uni-volt accounts for a hair over 1 amp of that load - that's ALL that is going to batteries in the form of a charge. So, yes, you could power the furnace and charge the battery, albeit very slowly and inefficiently. That's about 1100 watts, by the way (1092)

The real answer appears to be a battery conditioner/charger with all the hi-tech digital goodies like float charge and the ability to de-scale the battery plates and pull teeth on a bad day... Just take that Uni-volt out of the equation entirely.And why that is really requires your Tesla impersonator. Or a competent electrical engineer or Lew Farber or someone similar...

wil

AIR 22828
TAC ME-3
Universal Address: 97XX5 QGG5Z
Longitude: -68.814136
Latitude: 44.894663
olddog299 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 04:13 AM   #99
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Quote:
Suburban...
Well all you need for that is 12v for the fan, right? So you'd be fine with a 1000. I don't know how many watts a coffee maker is, but it ought to be under 1,000 I'd guess.
Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 05:41 AM   #100
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
Quote:
Originally Posted by olddog299 View Post
Bob, it's really going to depend on how big the draw of your coffee maker is. My little 4 cup Mr. Coffee only draws about 750 watts when keeping the coffee warm, but when the coffee is brewing it wants just as much juice as it's bigger brother - that 12 cup wanker. Then they both expect at least 1250 watts... too much draw for a 1K genset to handle. So, Bob, is there any real reason to eschew the old stovetop perk coffee maker or that old Melitta decanter you have gathering dust in a box in the garage?

My '90 Excella draws about 9.1 amps/hour when operating the heater with the burner firing and about 8 a/h when it's just the fan blowing. The Uni-volt accounts for a hair over 1 amp of that load - that's ALL that is going to batteries in the form of a charge. So, yes, you could power the furnace and charge the battery, albeit very slowly and inefficiently. That's about 1100 watts, by the way (1092)

The real answer appears to be a battery conditioner/charger with all the hi-tech digital goodies like float charge and the ability to de-scale the battery plates and pull teeth on a bad day... Just take that Uni-volt out of the equation entirely.And why that is really requires your Tesla impersonator. Or a competent electrical engineer or Lew Farber or someone similar...
thanx wil, after reading this it makes me think that a 1000 is about useless. It then makes sense to step up to the next size, and if you want to carry just 1 genset, and possibly run your A/C, you may as well go with the Yammi 2400. The Honda 2000 would make you coffee, and charge your batts, but that is about it. The Yammi 2400 would do it all with 1 unit.
I think my next project will be an updated 3 stage charger/converter and a nice Yammi 2400...

Thanx, Bill