Old 06-01-2008, 07:02 PM   #71
Rivet Master

1997 30' Limited
1972 23' Safari
1965 17' Caravel
Howell , Michigan
Send a message via AIM to Airboss Send a message via MSN to Airboss Send a message via Yahoo to Airboss
Has anyone tried a Honda i1000 and a i2000 together to run A/C?? Just curious...

Old 06-01-2008, 07:03 PM   #72
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari SS SE
Trenton , Illinois
Quote:
Would you operate your vehicle continuously at the red line or just beneath it knowing full well you are still "within" operating limits?
After the initial surge the 2400 was only running at about half speed to power the A/C. Not even close to redline. These little generators are built for the severe duty of running long periods of time on a load. I don't think it will be a problem. Besides, I will probably use the generator to run the A/C maybe 10% of the time.

Old 06-01-2008, 07:08 PM   #73
Rivet Master

1997 30' Limited
1972 23' Safari
1965 17' Caravel
Howell , Michigan
Send a message via AIM to Airboss Send a message via MSN to Airboss Send a message via Yahoo to Airboss
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinLoaf
After the initial surge the 2400 was only running at about half speed to power the A/C. Not even close to redline. These little generators are built for the severe duty of running long periods of time on a load. I don't think it will be a problem. Besides, I will probably use the generator to run the A/C maybe 10% of the time.
Same here..A/C not always needed in Michigan and If I need it I do have a 3500 Honda on wheels that works great..I also have a little i1000 to keep batteries topped off too. I very seldom use it because Im usually in a RV park with 30 or 50 amps...
Old 06-01-2008, 08:45 PM   #74
2 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
Port Orchard , Washington
I have read other forums about EU1000 and EU2000 being run together.
They have stated, the generator owners, that it works fine.

My drawback to the situation?
If I hook up my Jack Russel with the neighbors black lab,
to pull my dogsled, whick one pulls more?
And would my Jack still like me when it's all over?
He has a good memory,
and knows how the power door locks to the truck work.
Ask me how I know.

I think the EU1000 will try to put in half of the power,
And work it's little guts out.
Old 06-01-2008, 09:30 PM   #75
2 Rivet Member

1981 27' Excella II
Lynnwood , Washington
Quote:
I also looked at the Onan Inverter generators, and for what they cost, they are too close in price to the similar Honda's and Yamaha's. So for about another $100.00 I would buy the Honda or Yamaha. But I'm comparing two generators that are similar in abilities with a hugh difference in price. [$1080.00 vesus $350.00] 1/3 the price. The two biggest draw backs, for me, are weight and noise. Is that worth $730.00? I can afford any generator that I want, but I have to ask myself if it is, "Penny Wise or Dollar Foolish?" And I'm always open to your opinions, that's why I posted this in the first place.
I've not looked at the Onan at Costco but at $350 it sounds like a China (throw away) special so buyer be ware! I doubt if a Onan dealer would be much help for service. Both the Honda and Yamaha have good track records and IMO are worth the extra $$.

I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it.
Ifihadtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 09:46 PM   #76
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
What a timely thread. My 1000 Watt 150 dollar Chinese generator bit the dust yesterday after 2.5 years of use rebuilding my boat the generator lasted a year and half longer than I expected. I have read all the post and opinions and at first favored going with the Yamaha 2400 but after talking with the wife we will do a Honda eu2000. The reason is simple it is a modular system, buy one eu2000 now and if more power is need add a second. Weight is a big issue I used a 82 pound generator today to finish some repairs and it is on the outer limits on what I can handle. 70 pounds for the Yamaha is still heavy so the Honda wins. The wife can also move the Honda around if need be.
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 01:36 AM   #77
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Yakima , Washington
Mixing the two genny;s 1000 and 2000 according to Honda is a NO. Although I read in these forums it has been done. But, Logic should tell you its might not be a good idea.

The Onan inverter Generators that Costco sells on thier WEB SITE are made in the US. They are NOT cheap. Price range is similar to Yamaha.
Old 06-02-2008, 05:48 AM   #78
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Druupy
If I hook up my Jack Russel with the neighbors black lab,
to pull my dogsled, whick one pulls more?
And would my Jack still like me when it's all over?
He has a good memory,
and knows how the power door locks to the truck work.
Ask me how I know.

I think the EU1000 will try to put in half of the power,
And work it's little guts out.
Great analogy, particularly using the JR example.

I also learned never to leave Molly the JR AND the keys in the car at the same time - after I had to call Sam to bring me the extra set of keys so I could back get in!
Old 06-02-2008, 08:24 AM   #79
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
As somewhat of an "aside," I have an Onan 6500 Home Power generator and it is the most cantankerous machine to start (---electric start) I've ever owned. I've been back and forth with the dealer on what the problem might be - but to no avail. Generally, it'll start just fine during the summertime monthly exercise periods and become more difficult as the winter closes in - but when you really need it during a winter outage - no way! On the other hand, I have two of the Honda 2000i generators plus a Honda-powered mower. Any one of the Hondas will start within 3 pulls of the starter rope - no matter how long they've sat - and always on the first pull if they are being regularly used (i.e. - the lawnmower!) I've even thought about putting a 100 watt lightbulb shining on the Onan carburetor during the winter (---to keep it warm) - but that's truly a bit ridiculous! Oh - I forgot - I had an Onan 2800 on my old Winnebago motorhome that was also a bit cantankerous. It had a remote starter inside and if it didn't start right away you had to wait 10 minutes and try again. Otherwise you would simply run the battery down. Personally, I'll never buy another Onan powered piece of equipment - but perhaps others have had better luck.

2003 GMC 3500 D/A, CC, LB, 4x4 and 2000 Airstream Excella 30. WBCCI 7074
Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 11:50 PM   #80
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Keymar , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cracker
As somewhat of an "aside," I have an Onan 6500 Home Power generator and it is the most cantankerous machine to start (---electric start) I've ever owned. I've been back and forth with the dealer on what the problem might be - but to no avail. Generally, it'll start just fine during the summertime monthly exercise periods and become more difficult as the winter closes in - but when you really need it during a winter outage - no way! On the other hand, I have two of the Honda 2000i generators plus a Honda-powered mower. Any one of the Hondas will start within 3 pulls of the starter rope - no matter how long they've sat - and always on the first pull if they are being regularly used (i.e. - the lawnmower!) I've even thought about putting a 100 watt lightbulb shining on the Onan carburetor during the winter (---to keep it warm) - but that's truly a bit ridiculous! Oh - I forgot - I had an Onan 2800 on my old Winnebago motorhome that was also a bit cantankerous. It had a remote starter inside and if it didn't start right away you had to wait 10 minutes and try again. Otherwise you would simply run the battery down. Personally, I'll never buy another Onan powered piece of equipment - but perhaps others have had better luck.
Onan- Gas propane or LNG?

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 01:21 PM   #81
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatsandi
Onan- Gas propane or LNG?
Both of the Onans I mentioned are gas.

2003 GMC 3500 D/A, CC, LB, 4x4 and 2000 Airstream Excella 30. WBCCI 7074
Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 12:53 AM   #82
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
I bit the bullit.

Hi, my final decission was made tonight; I ordered the Yamaha 2400 generator. I read all of your experiences and opinions; And I'm greatful for all of your posts on this subject. Now I will tell you why I made this personal decission.

(1.) I only want one generator, but not too heavy.

(2.) Solar won't run my 110 appliances.

(3.) I want one generator to operate one 11,000 BTU air conditioner and/or keep my batteries up while boon docking.

(4.) I will, at this time, run it on gas pumped out of my tow vehicle. [no gas cans]

(5.) Red and Blue are reliable and quiet; Blue matches my [Airstream] stripes.

(6.) Price was decent. $1075.99 free shipping, insurance included, and no sales tax. [Wise Sales]

(7.) Yamaha can also be paralleled.

(8.) Wife gave me the "go-ahead" and order it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	My Picture CD 235 (Large).jpg
Views:	94
Size:	85.2 KB
ID:	62320  

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 09:49 AM   #83
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
I purchased a Honda eu2000i because of this thread and love it, I added an hour meter which is very nice. I needed the light weight as I take it to my boat at least once sometime twice a week. I like the ability to add a second generator if need. At some point I think I am going to camo the outside no use advertising it's existence when camping.
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 11:50 AM   #84
_

. , .
ok!

it is great 2 c this thread go FULL CIRCLE...

and that r/s gets his blue yami and j/c a red 'da...

once again folks have made TWO great choices...

for all the right reasons.

so keep us plugged IN...

to your genset usage and how each product fits the needs...

or not.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote