Old 02-22-2008, 08:57 AM   #29
3 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari SS SE
Southern , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS
Hi, Diane. In your posts on this subject that I started, you bring up some of my main concerns. (1.) Larger generators are too heavy. (2.) Not wanting to haul gas cans and/or have fumes in my tow vehicle. [tow vehicle is not a pick-up] (3.) Haveing to convert your generator to propane, is something I could do, but would rather buy one already set up. Such as the Yamaha tri-fuel.
I know parallel set ups work great, but I still only want to carry only one generator. One other concern is, my tow vehicle uses premium fuel, so syphoning might not work since, I believe that the generators are set up to run on regular fuel.
Bob, We originally purchased the 3000 because like you, my husband only wanted to carry one generator,and he felt two were twice as trouble to maintain. He was not concerned about the weight, but now that we have one, the weight is more of an issue to him than having two.

I dont know how much the yamaha tri fuel weighs, but as 2air said, that might be a good option for you. I am going to look into it as well.

Diane

Old 02-22-2008, 10:15 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by bernermom
I dont know how much the yamaha tri fuel weighs
Mne is 58 lbs, as I recall. And I carry it under the dinette where it fits perfectly.

Old 03-03-2008, 03:16 PM   #31
3 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari SS SE
Southern , New Jersey
Bob,

Just curious if you ever made up your mind on which generator?

I ordered two Honda 2000's today, with the kit to run them together. My husband felt that propane was much harder to come by, so he was comfortable with just going with the gas units. I ordered from WiseSales, as they had the best price I could find, $1959.00, for both with the parallel kit, including delivery and insurance.

Diane
Old 03-03-2008, 10:36 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, Diane. Sounds like you got a really good deal on the Honda twins kit. What was meant by, "Propane was much harder to come by" did you mean the propane gas or the propane converted generator? I'm leaning toward the Yamaha 2400 to run on propane, but not carved in stone yet. My thoughts are still: No gas cans, Not too heavy, One unit [versus two] that will run my 11,000 BTU A/C, and blue to match the stripes on my trailer. [Just kidding on the last reason] Also, always looking for a price break.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 11:35 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Huntington Beach , California
Quote:
Hi, Diane. Sounds like you got a really good deal on the Honda twins kit. What was meant by, "Propane was much harder to come by" did you mean the propane gas or the propane converted generator? I'm leaning toward the Yamaha 2400 to run on propane, but not carved in stone yet. My thoughts are still: No gas cans, Not too heavy, One unit [versus two] that will run my 11,000 BTU A/C, and blue to match the stripes on my trailer. [Just kidding on the last reason] Also, always looking for a price break.
Bob,

FYI, we had a Yamaha 2400 (gas only) before we got our Yamaha 3000. It ran our 13,500 AC just fine and was very managable in terms of moving it from the truck. Although we changed to the 3000 for the electric start and the larger fuel tank, the 2400 was good enough to keep in my book. The 2400 and 3000 share the same engine, therefore the 3000 has a longer run time due to the larger fuel tank, but if you are going propane, the tank size is not relevant.

Tough decision, the twin Honda 2000's are strong competition. But really, the blue gens are a better match for an AS, especially your stripes.
Old 03-04-2008, 12:48 AM   #34
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
NE , Indiana
I recently purchased a Yamaha EF2400iS from US Carburetion, with the propane adaptor. With the snow and cold, I have not had an opportunity to try it out, but I am sure it will work great, lots of happy owners have reported on them on this forum and the Open Roads forum.
AIR 7185
redeagle313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 05:15 AM   #35
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
redeagle313-
You'll be happy with your new Yamaha. Remember to run it on gasoline for the first couple of hours (or whatever the directions say, I can't remember) so the engine breaks in properly.

Wayne
Old 03-04-2008, 08:22 AM   #36
3 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari SS SE
Southern , New Jersey
Quote:
Bob, I meant that where we live it is sometimes harder, (or more inconvenient) to get a tank of propane than a tank of gas. But if your 2400 could run on both gas and propane, then getting propane would not be an issue. I think my husband just does not like the idea because he is not familiar with it. I was not sure if the Y 2400 would run my 13500 Air, but I see from Timemachine that it ran his fine. Oh well, too late, since I ordered the honda's yesterday.

Diane
Old 03-04-2008, 09:53 AM   #37
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
NE , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne&Sam
redeagle313-
You'll be happy with your new Yamaha. Remember to run it on gasoline for the first couple of hours (or whatever the directions say, I can't remember) so the engine breaks in properly.

Wayne
Thanks for that reminder. I have even read the instructions that came with it!
AIR 7185
redeagle313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 10:09 AM   #38

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
After reading all of the genset info available on these Forums, we deided to pull the trigger on a pair of Honda EU2000i's and the parallel kit. We got them from Hicklin Distributing in Grimes, Iowa. We checked all the ads in Trailer Lie, and were quoted the best price by Hicklin. They came in at $1,917.00 for the whole package including shipping and no sales tax.

The guys at Hicklin are not just salesmen; they are very knowledgeable about these generators. We spoke to both Brian and Dale at Hicklin. They both recommended against converting to propane, at least to begin with. They will do or help with LP conversions, but suggested that we try the Hondas on gas first. They said that running on propane adversely impacts power output, especially at high altitude. They recommended using an extended run fuel tank for the Hondas. Hicklin does not sell these tanks but told us that a number of their cutomers use tanks by Duration Power, and are very happy with them.

We received the Hondas last Friday (02/29) and have been playing with them ever since. We think that these are going to fit the bill for Lucy and also be back-up power at the house when the storms come. Both of the Hondas arrived with some minor shipping damage. The plastic muffler covers were cracked; there was no other damage. We called Brian at Hicklin. He was great. He offered to exchange both the generators, but we opted to have him send us new plastic mufflers covers. Because of our trouble, he is also sending us two complimentary Honda Generator Covers. These were very nice people to deal with.

We have now shopped the Duration Power extended run fun tanks. They are 6 gallon and can provide gas to two Hondas at once. These go for $130 + shipping on the company's website, but we've found them for $130 with Free shipping on Ebay. We plan to carry this tank in a cradle on top of Lucy's battery box. This tank is both DOT and USCG certified, and can be transported with fuel in it. Is anyone else out there in Forumsland using one of these?

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 10:13 AM   #39
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Brian, thanks for posting that info. It's nice to find a company that provides both good pricing and customer service.
Old 03-04-2008, 03:00 PM   #40
3 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari SS SE
Southern , New Jersey
That was a great price Brian, I guess I overpaid!, but not too much anyway. I should get mine in a few days, and hopefully they will not have damage. Were yours double boxed?
I was advised that some dealers do not double box when shipping, and they can arrive damaged. Wisesales does double box, and they send them insured.

We were very happy with the honda 3000, except for the weight, so I know they make a good product.

Also thanks for the info on the extended run tanks. Let me know how that works out for you.

Diane
Old 03-04-2008, 03:25 PM   #41

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
The generators from Hicklin were not double-boxed. The arrived in the factory red and white Honda boxes. The boxes didn't seem to be chewed up; they must have taken a hard bump somewhere along the way. The guys at Hicklin told me that this happens more often when it it very cold out. This makes the plastic more brittle.

Brian
Old 03-04-2008, 10:35 PM   #42

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
What is everyone doing to secure their generators while in use overnight with the Airstream? We're planning on using Master cable locks.

Brian