Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-21-2008, 01:01 PM   #21
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up Change-over Hastle...not Much

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernermom
I was reading about the conversion to propane. I do not think my husband would want to do something like that himself, however. With propane being sometimes harder to come by, being able to run on both would be nice. Can you just switch back and forth, or do you need to do something major to change. Is it much more expensive to run on propane?
It's not much of a problem to switch back and forth. You do have to

put a shut-off petcock in the fuel line to the carb when on propane, and cap

propane supply line to eliminate any possible vacuum leaks. Only takes a few min.

to switch over. I haven't had the opportunity to run it any length of time

but have talked to others who have done the conversion and they have

told me that a 10# bottle of propane equals about 5gal of gas. Maybe

someone has some more info on this. Longer running time was not really

why we made the change. Generator Conversion Kits to Propane and Natural Gas.

Be'n an x-knuckle buster I just never want to smell "that" smell if I can

possibly avoid it. One word of caution though, doing the conversion on a

new unit will void the factory 2yr warranty. (mine was 3-1/2 yrs old)

The older kits that were available did require you to drill a hole in the

body of the carb to install the propane supply line. You now send the carb

to them and they install the line. (the carb is very easy to remove)

Here is a link to a very worthwhile accessory.

Hour Meter / Tachometer* and maintenence box
Old 02-21-2008, 02:04 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari SS SE
Southern , New Jersey
Thanks for the info Robert. I am going to try (operative word her being TRY) to get my husband to read up on this with me, so we can make a decision.

I don't want to void a warrenty on a new generator, but now I am wondering also if you can connect two 2000's when running on propane.

or if we could just keep the 3000, and convert it to propane. Can you run the generator from inside the TV, (with windows or doors open) when running with propane? If that was possible, then maybe we could just convert the 3000 and be set. The reason we did not want to keep it was mostly due to having to move it around, but if we could keep it inside the TV, that would elimiate that problem.

Diane
bernermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 02:17 PM   #23
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs down Nevernevernever

Quote:
Thanks for the info Robert. I am going to try (operative word her being TRY) to get my husband to read up on this with me, so we can make a decision.

Can you run the generator from inside the TV, (with windows or doors open) when running with propane? If that was possible, then maybe we could just convert the 3000 and be set. The reason we did not want to keep it was mostly due to having to move it around, but if we could keep it inside the TV, that would elimiate that problem.

Diane
NEVER RUN IT INSIDE LIVING SPACE

As far as inside the tv goes, you don't get the regular gas fumes, but you

would get a smell that is not exactly pleasant. Best to keep it outside.

Plus, even keeping the propane tank outside, there is always the possibility

of a leak and that would be a major safety concern. Wev'e always kept

the generator as far from the Stream as possible.

You can get a conversion for the 3000, and it would probably be an

easier job. Being a larger unit there is more room to work with.

I'm sure there is someone here that can give you more info.

Good luck on the Husband "conversion".
Old 02-21-2008, 03:42 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

2008 31' Classic
Sweet Valley , Pennsylvania
"It has been kind of a pain to carry the extra gas though, and thats where

the fumes originate. Store three 1 gal. plastic containers in the storage

box behind the propane tanks, not really comfortable with that solution

either. Am in the process now of converting the 2000 to run on both

propane and petrol, no more carting that extra gas everywhere."

I am a Honda 2000 owner and agree its hard to beat the parallel two gen set up for flexability and weight in terms of moving and carrying about the generators. Rather than the conversion to propane I decided I might try and kill 2 birds with one stone.
My HD 2500 Silverado gasser only holds about 28 gal of fuel and I want more range. 2 options I considered, 1 to replace the original TV gas tank with a Midship 45 gal tank ( expensive and seems like a waste of a good original gas tank) and the other is to place a Transfer Flow refueling tank in the rear of the bed. The bed tank size is 54L x 12.5 W x 21.5 D. I feel with the refuel I also am able to fuel up the generators as well. Can't do that with the Midship replacement, unless I want to siphon or carry plastic containers, which I really don't want to do. I would install a 15x40 window (that works like the rear window above the tail gate), on the driver side of my TV alum cap. Simply unlock this window and raise it up for full access to the refulling pump (and other stuff on that side) to either fill the TV or generators or whatever. I am still in the process fact finding all this right now so I will let you all know how I make out. The TV fill situation isn't perfect cause it isn't automatic...ya gotta stop at a road side rest to do the TV refill,,,but it still gives the range and piece of mind..... the ability to fill gens and is DOT approved. Really it seems to me to be a legal and safe option for my 2005 Silverado, as far as I can find out, for what I want to do.. I am not legally allowed by DOT to connect to my existing fuel system at least on my yr. truck,,,some earlier models I think you can. The Transfer Flow system is DOT approved, not cheap but as I considered the options it seems it might work well. It's got 50 gal capicity with baffels, Fuel Filter and refueling pump. 50 Gal capacity (smallest avail) but I think I would start trying it at 1/2 till I seel how my total Wt. worked out. Any feedback would be appreciated.
Later! Jim
TROPHYJIM2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 10:04 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Thanks,

do you know how many BTU's your AC is? I read up on the wheel kit, but my husband's main concern is lifting it into the TV, which is high, (a one ton van). We move it with a dolly, so that works quite well, but lifting it is a drag. I have to help him lift it, and I think he is just getting tired that. I will probably try to sell it, as it is fairly new, or we could take it to our house in Maine, where we spend the summer, We lose power more often up there, and having a back up generator would be nice.

Diane
Hi, Diane. In your posts on this subject that I started, you bring up some of my main concerns. (1.) Larger generators are too heavy. (2.) Not wanting to haul gas cans and/or have fumes in my tow vehicle. [tow vehicle is not a pick-up] (3.) Haveing to convert your generator to propane, is something I could do, but would rather buy one already set up. Such as the Yamaha tri-fuel.
I know parallel set ups work great, but I still only want to carry only one generator. One other concern is, my tow vehicle uses premium fuel, so syphoning might not work since, I believe that the generators are set up to run on regular fuel.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 11:46 PM   #26
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Yakima , Washington
Robert.....forget the worry about running a gas genny that is set up for regular and putting primium in it. It will not hurt a thing. Matter of fact it anything it might be a bit better for it. It does not make any difference if it runs on regular or premium. Ask a distributor....I have run my yard equipment of premium for many years....and it runs great. Premium fuel will actually burn a bit cooler in the combustion chamber....but this is marginal and really does not have anything to do with longevity. IT IS FINE TO RUN PREMIUM IN ANYTHING THAT IS DESIGNED TO RUN ON REGULAR.
DFord79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 12:05 AM   #27
_

. , .
hi robert

on the fumes issue...

while i usually carry the genset in the truck bed, i have occasionally carried in the cab or trailer.

the 2000 fits easily into the 'heavy contractor' bags and then goes into a rubbermaid tub.

no gas small at all, with the tank full. anywhere.

the gas can is more of a challenge. i usually carry it empty or bag and tub it, IF there's gas inside.

fuel ratings...

honda spec 86 octane or higher fuel...

any indication of ping/spark knock during load, they advise to switch petrol brands...

so i usually buy mid grade for the genset and add techroline and stabil to the can...

and use m-1 5/30 or 10/30 changed 2x yearly.

still runs like a champ, and it does better under a significant load (1500 watts)

i'm a big fan of 2 hondas with a parallel kit, BUT in your case i'd go for the yamaha trifuel.

it will run your ac under moderate condtions, but if it's not enough, they have great resale value.

once the honda 2000 is handled, it's very appealing. lift moving, positioning and cranking very easily, they are nicely packaged too.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 06:27 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Diane- You've already have the 3000, so try it out. You're not going to kill the generator with a test run or two. I find it hard to believe that it won't run your A/C.

I have the Yamaha 2400 and it runs my 11k BTU A/C- with not much to spare, but it runs just fine. And that is running on propane. I just added an extra LP hose off the Airstream's tanks and it's a very easy connection.

Wayne
Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 07:57 AM   #29
3 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari SS SE
Southern , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS
Hi, Diane. In your posts on this subject that I started, you bring up some of my main concerns. (1.) Larger generators are too heavy. (2.) Not wanting to haul gas cans and/or have fumes in my tow vehicle. [tow vehicle is not a pick-up] (3.) Haveing to convert your generator to propane, is something I could do, but would rather buy one already set up. Such as the Yamaha tri-fuel.
I know parallel set ups work great, but I still only want to carry only one generator. One other concern is, my tow vehicle uses premium fuel, so syphoning might not work since, I believe that the generators are set up to run on regular fuel.
Bob, We originally purchased the 3000 because like you, my husband only wanted to carry one generator,and he felt two were twice as trouble to maintain. He was not concerned about the weight, but now that we have one, the weight is more of an issue to him than having two.

I dont know how much the yamaha tri fuel weighs, but as 2air said, that might be a good option for you. I am going to look into it as well.

Diane
Old 02-22-2008, 09:15 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Quote:
I dont know how much the yamaha tri fuel weighs
Mne is 58 lbs, as I recall. And I carry it under the dinette where it fits perfectly.
Old 03-03-2008, 02:16 PM   #31
3 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari SS SE
Southern , New Jersey
Bob,

Just curious if you ever made up your mind on which generator?

I ordered two Honda 2000's today, with the kit to run them together. My husband felt that propane was much harder to come by, so he was comfortable with just going with the gas units. I ordered from WiseSales, as they had the best price I could find, $1959.00, for both with the parallel kit, including delivery and insurance.

Diane
Old 03-03-2008, 09:36 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, Diane. Sounds like you got a really good deal on the Honda twins kit. What was meant by, "Propane was much harder to come by" did you mean the propane gas or the propane converted generator? I'm leaning toward the Yamaha 2400 to run on propane, but not carved in stone yet. My thoughts are still: No gas cans, Not too heavy, One unit [versus two] that will run my 11,000 BTU A/C, and blue to match the stripes on my trailer. [Just kidding on the last reason] Also, always looking for a price break.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 10:35 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Huntington Beach , California
Quote:
Hi, Diane. Sounds like you got a really good deal on the Honda twins kit. What was meant by, "Propane was much harder to come by" did you mean the propane gas or the propane converted generator? I'm leaning toward the Yamaha 2400 to run on propane, but not carved in stone yet. My thoughts are still: No gas cans, Not too heavy, One unit [versus two] that will run my 11,000 BTU A/C, and blue to match the stripes on my trailer. [Just kidding on the last reason] Also, always looking for a price break.
Bob,

FYI, we had a Yamaha 2400 (gas only) before we got our Yamaha 3000. It ran our 13,500 AC just fine and was very managable in terms of moving it from the truck. Although we changed to the 3000 for the electric start and the larger fuel tank, the 2400 was good enough to keep in my book. The 2400 and 3000 share the same engine, therefore the 3000 has a longer run time due to the larger fuel tank, but if you are going propane, the tank size is not relevant.

Tough decision, the twin Honda 2000's are strong competition. But really, the blue gens are a better match for an AS, especially your stripes.
Old 03-03-2008, 11:48 PM   #34
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
NE , Indiana
I recently purchased a Yamaha EF2400iS from US Carburetion, with the propane adaptor. With the snow and cold, I have not had an opportunity to try it out, but I am sure it will work great, lots of happy owners have reported on them on this forum and the Open Roads forum.
AIR 7185
redeagle313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 04:15 AM   #35
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
redeagle313-
You'll be happy with your new Yamaha. Remember to run it on gasoline for the first couple of hours (or whatever the directions say, I can't remember) so the engine breaks in properly.

Wayne
Old 03-04-2008, 07:22 AM   #36
3 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari SS SE
Southern , New Jersey
Quote:
Bob, I meant that where we live it is sometimes harder, (or more inconvenient) to get a tank of propane than a tank of gas. But if your 2400 could run on both gas and propane, then getting propane would not be an issue. I think my husband just does not like the idea because he is not familiar with it. I was not sure if the Y 2400 would run my 13500 Air, but I see from Timemachine that it ran his fine. Oh well, too late, since I ordered the honda's yesterday.

Diane
Old 03-04-2008, 08:53 AM   #37
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
NE , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne&Sam
redeagle313-
You'll be happy with your new Yamaha. Remember to run it on gasoline for the first couple of hours (or whatever the directions say, I can't remember) so the engine breaks in properly.

Wayne
Thanks for that reminder. I have even read the instructions that came with it!
AIR 7185
redeagle313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 09:09 AM   #38

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
After reading all of the genset info available on these Forums, we deided to pull the trigger on a pair of Honda EU2000i's and the parallel kit. We got them from Hicklin Distributing in Grimes, Iowa. We checked all the ads in Trailer Lie, and were quoted the best price by Hicklin. They came in at $1,917.00 for the whole package including shipping and no sales tax.

The guys at Hicklin are not just salesmen; they are very knowledgeable about these generators. We spoke to both Brian and Dale at Hicklin. They both recommended against converting to propane, at least to begin with. They will do or help with LP conversions, but suggested that we try the Hondas on gas first. They said that running on propane adversely impacts power output, especially at high altitude. They recommended using an extended run fuel tank for the Hondas. Hicklin does not sell these tanks but told us that a number of their cutomers use tanks by Duration Power, and are very happy with them.

We received the Hondas last Friday (02/29) and have been playing with them ever since. We think that these are going to fit the bill for Lucy and also be back-up power at the house when the storms come. Both of the Hondas arrived with some minor shipping damage. The plastic muffler covers were cracked; there was no other damage. We called Brian at Hicklin. He was great. He offered to exchange both the generators, but we opted to have him send us new plastic mufflers covers. Because of our trouble, he is also sending us two complimentary Honda Generator Covers. These were very nice people to deal with.

We have now shopped the Duration Power extended run fun tanks. They are 6 gallon and can provide gas to two Hondas at once. These go for $130 + shipping on the company's website, but we've found them for $130 with Free shipping on Ebay. We plan to carry this tank in a cradle on top of Lucy's battery box. This tank is both DOT and USCG certified, and can be transported with fuel in it. Is anyone else out there in Forumsland using one of these?

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 09:13 AM   #39
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Brian, thanks for posting that info. It's nice to find a company that provides both good pricing and customer service.
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 02:00 PM   #40
3 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari SS SE
Southern , New Jersey
That was a great price Brian, I guess I overpaid!, but not too much anyway. I should get mine in a few days, and hopefully they will not have damage. Were yours double boxed?
I was advised that some dealers do not double box when shipping, and they can arrive damaged. Wisesales does double box, and they send them insured.

We were very happy with the honda 3000, except for the weight, so I know they make a good product.

Also thanks for the info on the extended run tanks. Let me know how that works out for you.

Diane