Old 01-29-2013, 01:14 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Rancho Murieta , California
Probably a silly question...but I assume my heat pump draws the same power as an AC since it is the same unit?

Old 01-30-2013, 06:50 AM   #16
Airstream Driver

1997 30' Excella
1983 31' Airstream310
Austin , Texas
Call me crazy, but I went it a Honda knock-off Powerstroke at Home Depot for $349.-

Reasons:
3500 running watts, 4350 starting
110 pounds are manageable for loading and unloading
easy to wheel around
Pulls A/C load with no problem

No bells and whistles, like electric start, fuel meter, hour meter etc, but I can buy 5 of these for the price of an Iffy (runs most 13500 RV A/C's..) 3000 watt Genny from Honda.
Only time will tell, but so far so good

AIR #13
PeterH-Airstreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 07:25 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
Anoter advantage of of the two honda's is weight. Especially if you lift them in and out of your TV.
Old 01-30-2013, 08:07 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Alpharetta , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterH-87MH View Post
Just the person , I would like to ask this question:
Why is Honda not making a 4 KW generator, since there is such an obvious need for it. I have installed and used the now no longer available RV gensets EV4010/EV6010 and loved the dependability.
Hi Peter...

Right now, Honda's solution for 4kw customers is a pair of EU2s. Honda has no firm plans to get back into the built-in/on-board genset business. For now, Honda will continue to concentrate on portable generators.

The EV-series generators have a pretty good reputation. The twin-cylinder water-cooled design was well engineered and has many fans. But, that core engine was designed decades ago, and faced three challenges: (1) Meeting emissions rules (2) Market (3) Tooling.

EPA emissions rules in the past 10 years have gotten tighter and tighter. It would have been an costly project to revamp the core engine in the EV models to meet the new rules. Worse, no RV manufacturer was buying it for OEM installation due to the high cost. So, the only real market was a small number of customers who wanted to re-power with a better quality unit that most OEM gensets. Finally, the tooling for the unit was in need of updating, and the cost vs. sales projections comparison was the final straw, and the EV models were discontinued.

Hope this fills in the blanks.
Caveat: I work for Honda, but the preceding is my opinion alone.

robert@honda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 08:40 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2008 23' Safari FB SE
Boulder , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by robert@honda View Post
Hi Peter...

Right now, Honda's solution for 4kw customers is a pair of EU2s. Honda has no firm plans to get back into the built-in/on-board genset business. For now, Honda will continue to concentrate on portable generators.

The EV-series generators have a pretty good reputation. The twin-cylinder water-cooled design was well engineered and has many fans. But, that core engine was designed decades ago, and faced three challenges: (1) Meeting emissions rules (2) Market (3) Tooling.

EPA emissions rules in the past 10 years have gotten tighter and tighter. It would have been an costly project to revamp the core engine in the EV models to meet the new rules. Worse, no RV manufacturer was buying it for OEM installation due to the high cost. So, the only real market was a small number of customers who wanted to re-power with a better quality unit that most OEM gensets. Finally, the tooling for the unit was in need of updating, and the cost vs. sales projections comparison was the final straw, and the EV models were discontinued.

Hope this fills in the blanks.
Nicely explained, Robert. Sounds like there are some sound reasons from a marketing perspective.
Old 01-31-2013, 08:45 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2008 23' Safari FB SE
Boulder , Colorado
By the way, I have the two Honda 2000 setup and am a big fan. They are easy to load and carry and if I decide I don't need AC, I sometimes pack just one. They run all day long and I camp at altitude. They are also very easy to do basic maintenance on if you are even remotely handy so draining the carb and oil change are a cinch. I love that I can run them in series to get more power when needed. Pretty tough little units and they are VERY quiet in both Eco and regular mode. I have had people stop by to ask me what they are because of the low decibels.