Old 04-19-2008, 08:00 PM   #1
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
Honda Pair With 30 amp Parallel Setup

I've had a set of 2000i Hondas for several years now - along with the old style parallel hookup and 30 amp plug. I also have a small onboard 110 volt air compressor - but it requires slightly more starting amps than a single generator can provide. My question is, if I plug the air compressor into the provided standard outlet on one of the generators, with the parallel hookup in place, and both generators running, will it boost the amperage output of the standard outlet? The alternate solution would be to fabricate a pigtail with a standard female and 30 amp male to match the female outlet on the parallel box - but that's a tad costly! The reason for my question is that I know Honda sells a simple set of pigtails to parallel the generators - but without the 30 amp plug. That said, what is the function of this set of pigtails if they don't somehow boost the output of a single generator??? Yeah, yeah - I know ---I could just try it and see but I like to pretend I know what I'm talking about!

2003 GMC 3500 D/A, CC, LB, 4x4 and 2000 Airstream Excella 30. WBCCI 7074
Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 08:30 PM   #2
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Keymar , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cracker
I've had a set of 2000i Hondas for several years now - along with the old style parallel hookup and 30 amp plug. I also have a small onboard 110 volt air compressor - but it requires slightly more starting amps than a single generator can provide. My question is, if I plug the air compressor into the provided standard outlet on one of the generators, with the parallel hookup in place, and both generators running, will it boost the amperage output of the standard outlet?
No. If you look at the wiring diagram the circuit breaker is dirctly before the outlet.
Quote:
The alternate solution would be to fabricate a pigtail with a standard female and 30 amp male to match the female outlet on the parallel box - but that's a tad costly!
This is what you are going to have to do. Do you have the facilities to makea pig tail yourself? Cost would be about $50 for quality parts.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 09:20 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatsandi
No. If you look at the wiring diagram the circuit breaker is dirctly before the outlet.
This is what you are going to have to do. Do you have the facilities to makea pig tail yourself? Cost would be about $50 for quality parts.
Yep - that's about what I figured! I might be able to shave it a tad by using a standard duplex in a rough-in box - but it's the darn 30 amp plug that's so expensive. The other solution would be to put a 30 amp male plug on the compressor cord - since 15 amp to 30 amp converter plugs are readily available. Fact tis, I've been using one on the house duplex all winter while wating for the electrician to install a dedicated 30 amp outlet. I'm still curious what function those parallel wires serve when a 30 amp plug isn't in the circuit???

Old 04-21-2008, 10:06 AM   #4

Currently Looking...
Keymar , Maryland
Quote:
I'm still curious what function those parallel wires serve when a 30 amp plug isn't in the circuit???
They just sit there. They do not get used unless the parallel kit is used.

Old 04-21-2008, 11:16 AM   #5

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Unless I misunderstood, it sounds like you need a 30A to 15A converter. I have one that looks just like the black plastic adaptor that lets us plug our 30A rv into a standard outlet but it goes the other way. Plug it into a 30 A outlet and it has a standard wall type pug for using normal 110v devices.
HiHoAgRV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 06:34 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiHoAgRV
Unless I misunderstood, it sounds like you need a 30A to 15A converter. I have one that looks just like the black plastic adaptor that lets us plug our 30A rv into a standard outlet but it goes the other way. Plug it into a 30 A outlet and it has a standard wall type pug for using normal 110v devices.
That's exactly what I need - but in all my searching around I've never come across a conversion plug that went from 30 amp to 15 amp. Where did you get it??? Make, model, etc???

Old 04-21-2008, 11:38 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Yakima , Washington
Campingworld.com has all sorts of these adaptors. They are not hard to find. You local Honda genny store might have one? They either come in a corded lenght or just the male/female plug.

Power Generators - Electric Generator Store Also this place has everything know to man if you can't find it here you don't need it.

Generator Power Cords and Plugs - Power Generators - Electric Generator Store This link might be the exact page you need.
Old 04-22-2008, 07:43 AM   #8
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFord79
Campingworld.com has all sorts of these adaptors. They are not hard to find. You local Honda genny store might have one? They either come in a corded lenght or just the male/female plug.

Power Generators - Electric Generator Store Also this place has everything know to man if you can't find it here you don't need it.

Generator Power Cords and Plugs - Power Generators - Electric Generator Store This link might be the exact page you need.
The problem seems to be trying to adapt from a 30 amp RV plug to the 15 amp plug. There were several 4-prong, 30 amp to 15 amp adapters listed.
I'll see if Camper's World has anything shown on-line.

Old 04-22-2008, 08:13 AM   #9

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Quote:
That's exactly what I need - but in all my searching around I've never come across a conversion plug that went from 30 amp to 15 amp. Where did you get it??? Make, model, etc???
Humm , I dunno where I got it. Mees gussin' it was in one of the rv's/trailers I aquired over the years...If I remember I'll take a look at it this afternoon when I get home. It looks exactly like a 15/30 black rubber puck adaptor but it goes the other way.
The only times I've needed it was where the 15A outlet was bad at a campsite. The camper would hook to the 50A via a dogbone, that would free up the 30A for my extension cord.
Old 04-23-2008, 09:48 AM   #10

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Well I tumbled through the 'Stream last night and couldn't find hide nor hair of the plug. It must be in the SOB, I'll look this weekend if the ole brain doesn't jump a gear and forget
Old 04-23-2008, 07:32 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
The big RV dealer here in Bangor, Maine solved the problem. He recently tripled his store area for parts, gadgets, and gilhinkles and the 30 amp RV to 15 amp standard plug was available in several forms. The simplest was the single converter plug for $6.19 and the pigtail version was $8.69 - or thereabouts. Thanks for all of the input.

Old 04-24-2008, 01:19 PM   #12

Currently Looking...
Keymar , Maryland
Quote:
The big RV dealer here in Bangor, Maine solved the problem. He recently tripled his store area for parts, gadgets, and gilhinkles and the 30 amp RV to 15 amp standard plug was available in several forms. The simplest was the single converter plug for $6.19 and the pigtail version was $8.69 - or thereabouts. Thanks for all of the input.
I wnadered into one our local Rv places yesterday for propane. They had a 30 to 15 adapter fro sale for about $10. Good luck!