Old 03-31-2014, 07:02 AM   #15
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce B View Post
Just a quick heads up here for the dB measurment crowd....a change of 10db is equivalent to a doubling of volume. Something to remember when comparing specs.
Not so.
A 3 dB increase is a doubling in volume; a 10dB increase is ten times the volume.

WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 09:28 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2012 16' International
Jamestown , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Not so.
A 3 dB increase is a doubling in volume; a 10dB increase is ten times the volume.
My understanding is that it is not so simple. I refer to volume not sound pressure but my understanding is murky at best.

Here is a website that explains what I am trying to articulate...

Loudness volume doubling sound level change factor of perceived loudness decibel scale log compare intensities formula calculate power level noise levels volume logarithm dependence three four fold loudness sound - by what factor does level decrease

Anyway no matter if it doubles or multiplies by a factor of 10 there is a big difference in sound with a small change in db's. My intent was to point that out...
Bruce

Old 03-31-2014, 09:38 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
DB is a logarithmic scale. Not something the general public can get a handle on. Most just accept the fact that it is loader or quieter. To go beyond that you meter a meter.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 11:07 AM   #18

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce B View Post
Anyway no matter if it doubles or multiplies by a factor of 10 there is a big difference in sound with a small change in db's. My intent was to point that out...
It's even more cokmplicated than that. The dB or dBA rating is an average of the decibels produced at the center frequency of each octave in the range of human hearing. The dB rating is a straight average; dBA is a weighted average where higher frequencies contribute more to the average than do the lower frequencies. dBA more closely corresponds to the way the average person hears.

In either case, the important thing is it's an average. Two generators— let's call them Yamaha and Honda for the purpose of blind taste-testing— might have nearly the same dB or dBA rating. But one will seem louder to your ear than the other, and the other will seem louder to someone else. That's because one will produce higher dB in the octaves where your hearing is most sensitive, and lower dB in the octaves where your hearing isn't as sensitive, and the other might be exactly the opposite, fewer decibels in the octaves where your hearing is most sensitive.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

Old 03-31-2014, 01:30 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2012 16' International
Jamestown , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
It's even more cokmplicated than that. The dB or dBA rating is an average of the decibels produced at the center frequency of each octave in the range of human hearing. The dB rating is a straight average; dBA is a weighted average where higher frequencies contribute more to the average than do the lower frequencies. dBA more closely corresponds to the way the average person hears.

In either case, the important thing is it's an average. Two generators— let's call them Yamaha and Honda for the purpose of blind taste-testing— might have nearly the same dB or dBA rating. But one will seem louder to your ear than the other, and the other will seem louder to someone else. That's because one will produce higher dB in the octaves where your hearing is most sensitive, and lower dB in the octaves where your hearing isn't as sensitive, and the other might be exactly the opposite, fewer decibels in the octaves where your hearing is most sensitive.
OK,
My head is full now may I please be excused?
Actually this makes sense. I am acutely aware of some sounds and our Honda EU 3000iS is much nicer sounding to me than the EU 2000iS. I know the day is coming when I will no longer be able to lift the thing but perhaps I will be old enough that I will be deaf to the objectionable noise of the EU 2000.... Then I will be happy again!
BB
Old 04-06-2014, 02:00 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Reed Point , Montana
Newbie here,

I'm going to purchase a Honda generator but here's the question: I have a 23' flying cloud so I see this unit doesn't have a plug in or transfer switch (plug) for the generator, I guess 25' and up have this. So, my only option is to connect my generator directly to my batteries to charge?
Also, the dealer said not to leave the Airstream plugged into shore power for days as you may "overcook" the batteries, is this true? If so why is it that the converter has no float mode like my trickle chargers?

The owners manual seems to me to be a little light on details.......

Thanks!

Mike
Old 04-06-2014, 02:17 PM   #21

2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigskyrider8 View Post
Newbie here,

I'm going to purchase a Honda generator but here's the question: I have a 23' flying cloud so I see this unit doesn't have a plug in or transfer switch (plug) for the generator, I guess 25' and up have this. So, my only option is to connect my generator directly to my batteries to charge?
Also, the dealer said not to leave the Airstream plugged into shore power for days as you may "overcook" the batteries, is this true? If so why is it that the converter has no float mode like my trickle chargers?

The owners manual seems to me to be a little light on details.......

Thanks!

Mike
No, not at all... you'd simply plug the regular shore-power cord into the generator instead of into a "power grid" outlet. The units with the transfer switch and an inlet on the front designated for a generator are designed to make it easy for you to leave the generator in your tow vehicle without having a long run of cord.

The standard Airstream converter-charger doesn't take good care of the batteries over a long period of time. I think while plugged in for longer stays you can switch the "store/use" switch to the "Store" position, which should take the batteries out of the loop and just use the converter to power the 12v systems in the trailer.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | Il Progetto — 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 02:24 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Reed Point , Montana
Thanks, that helps alot.
Still learning how to operate all the bells and whistles, when/if it stops snowing we'll be heading out on our maiden voyage..........
Old 04-06-2014, 02:51 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Consider getting a better convertor. The Progressive company make a "Wizard Control" that allows you to leave the trailer plugged in for long periods without cooking the batteries. Control has 3 chip controlled modes of operation.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 04:15 PM   #24
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
My Harley will crank up to 102 dB when I get on it (as measured by the dB meter) and I think it sounds pretty good! Wouldn't do it at 6:00am though

Oh, it's "only" 86 dB at idle

Oh yeah, I have an EU2000i that I use for the camper and it's great! I meant to buy a second one to parallel together for the a/c, but we never seem to boondock when it's hot enough to need it. So, I've made do with just the one. Been very happy with it though, and it's WAY quieter than the HOG
Old 04-06-2014, 04:45 PM   #25

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimGolden View Post
My Harley will crank up to 102 dB when I get on it (as measured by the dB meter) and I think it sounds pretty good!
Guess when you go deaf it doesn't hurt anymore…

WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4