Old 04-01-2005, 09:12 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Rivet EU 1000 - my choice

First of all, I'm fulltiming, single and will spend most of my time at full hookup facilities, so my need for any generator will be infrequent.

Second, I like the light weight and low cost of the EU 1000. I can lift the 1000 without any strain and it will carry nicely in the back of the Suburban. If I do boondock or go through a power outage, I'm ready to deal with being without A/C, but I don't want to be sitting in the dark for hours. I could probably warm my 22ft with my hairdryer! I've got a gas tow vehicle with a 38 gallon tank - and a syphon. That eliminates needing to carry a gas can and another 10 minute delay for inspection at every tunnel. In Tidewater it's hard to leave without going thru a Tunnel!

Third, solar - well a solar panel's performance isn't good on a shady sight, or if your panel is oriented other than in a southward direction. If you can't park your A/S so that the panel is on the south side, I suspect you'll be getting a trickle of power. For ideal performance you need to know the angle of the sun which changes significantly between say Maine and Florida, and raise the panel so that it's getting rays at as close to straight on as possible. I've only seen two Airstreams with solar panels and they were on a fixed mounting. I've seen a ground mount unit that rotates and allow you to crank the angle up and down, and I suspect that a roof mount could do the same (ah, another lock down hook like the Zip Dee awning to check before you hitch up and go).

I'll stick with the itty-bitty generator for now.

Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 04:18 PM   #16
1983 31' Excella
Coral Gables , Florida
Where did you install generator

Where did you install the generator in the AS?

mferro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 06:28 PM   #17
Rivet Master
2010 27' FB Classic
Cape Cod , USA
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie
Abe, do you recall what Mayberry was asking for their 2000? I took a look at their site and they don't seem to list asking price.....thanks!
I spoke with Mayberry's last week and they quoted $879 for the 2000 and said if you you bought two 2000s and the parallel adapter it was the same price as buying the 3000 or $1998. Hope this helps. We've decided to go with one 2000 for now and see how it goes. Hope this helps.

Whatever you are be a good one....'Abraham Lincoln'
WBCCI #9204, Region 1, 1st VP NEU
M&M CAPECOD is offline   Reply With Quote