Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-23-2018, 09:44 AM   #41
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by pteck View Post
I use to store it in a Action Packer like Robert, in the AS under the dinette.
Don't ever get rid of that Action Packer. It seems Rubbermaid has ceased making them and the ones for sale have gone stupid expensive. (E-bay pretty much starts at $90) You can get the 35 gal. Action Packer at Home Depot for $57 but IMO the 24 gal is the perfect size.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 07:15 PM   #42
Rivet Master

2007 27' International CCD FB
San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
Don't ever get rid of that Action Packer. It seems Rubbermaid has ceased making them and the ones for sale have gone stupid expensive. (E-bay pretty much starts at $90) You can get the 35 gal. Action Packer at Home Depot for $57 but IMO the 24 gal is the perfect size.
No intention to get rid of it. When my AS is stored along side my house, I remove the genny, gas tote, security cable, and 10-oz of Stabil, and store all in the bin. My Action Packer has been modified with a sealing gasket too. Fits like a glove and looks like it's custom fit for it all.

Too bad to hear they've gone up in price! Great things for camping.
pteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 07:25 PM   #43
Rivet Master

San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbowman View Post
Nice job. Tell me more on the "MicroAir" easy start. Which model and how they connect and work. We have 2 AC's on our Classic. Do I understand correctly 1 eu2200i w/easy start installed will run both units? Greatly appreciated.

Safe travels and best regards..........
Lots have commented and there's lots of threads still with more info. I'll add a few nuggets I've learned.

A EU2000i in good health and an easystart, will run a single A/C. I've found that neither of my really old units could. I sold both units for $700/each on craigslist ($700 each!!! for ~10 yr old gennies!!!) and bought a single new Honda EU22200i for $949.

These new Honda EU2200i's, are showing that they may run a single 13.5k BTU A/C unit without further mods. And they can most definitely run a single 13.5k or 15k unit fitted with Easystart with margin to spare.

These Honda's eu2200i's are the golden standard for TT use in my mind. Why go to a heavier, louder, harder to handle 3000W class genny, as it still can't run 2x A/Cs. But two eu2200i's paired WILL run 2x A/C's, with power to spare when fitted with easystarts.
Old 09-23-2018, 08:10 PM   #44
Rivet Master

San Diego , California
Just got home from a great weekend camping trip. We had 3 additional guests (parents and brother) along with my family of 4. The AS did great hosting 7!! Glad they slept in their own SUVs at night though

So glad I had the genny mounted and setup for this trip. We were camped under 3 large trees, which was great shade for the sunny weather, but also meant my 200W of solar wasn't doing much to support. Even with 2x new fully topped off 6V golf cart batts, we were using power like it had gone out of style. To clarify, in my couple years of camping, we rarely, rarely use a genny, if carrying one at all as solar will usually suffice. If was a different story this trip with the amount of technology glamping we were doing.

By early afternoon, we were drawn down to 12.2V. It's what happens when each person had 1, if not 2 worth of heavy electronics gadgets going. Some would say, we weren't camping.

Generator was there to save to day. Pulled the Honda vinyl cover off, plugged in the power cable, first pull, and we're off to the races. No re-positioning needed and I was able to reach the choke, on/spark-cut/off rotary switch, and the pull cord just fine.

Underway, now replenishing batts, recharging a laptop on 120V, heating food in the microwave AND running a small k-cup coffee maker all at the same time. Not bad for a little eu2200i. Probably ran it for only 15 minutes.

Around 5PM, it was clear our hunger for power was unrelenting with battery voltage sagging to 12.1 So decided to run the genny again for ~30 minutes to get us through the night. All was already connected. With a single pull, we're in business again.

I spent some time giving the NVH a more critical inspection. It's hardly intrusive. Way quieter than my old water pump onboard. About as loud as the fantastic fan on low, at the closest end to the genny. Very little vibration in the floor, and only again at the end closest. Can't feel anything once 1/3 of the way into the A/S.

I've always dreamed of having an onboard Onan genny like the Class A's I've rented in the past This is it for the Airstream! I don't even mind the non-remote start with as easy as the Honda genny's are to use.
Old 09-24-2018, 08:27 AM   #45
3 Rivet Member

2018 23' Flying Cloud
Dungville next to Donkeytown , Alabama
Honda Generator on Tongue

Quote:

These Honda's eu2200i's are the golden standard for TT use in my mind. Why go to a heavier, louder, harder to handle 3000W class genny, as it still can't run 2x A/Cs. But two eu2200i's paired WILL run 2x A/C's, with power to spare when fitted with easystarts.

Disagree Pteck. I’ve owned both and sold the eu2200is after getting the eu3000is. The larger unit is quieter and a lot easier to start; no ripcord to pull. Also I can add on a remote start if I wanted to the unit. The cord was often a PITA for me -especially during colder weather and at altitude.

The only downside to the eu3000is is inc price and heft/ bulk to store and relocate. I’m fortunate, mine resides in a specialized box which is housed in the truck bed. Also with an easystart add on, I’ve been told that it will run 2 AC units on reg mode.

All said, I’d repurchase the eu2200is if I could carry it on the TT bumper safety. And I’d pay an even higher premium if the unit had a key start and was capable of a remote.

Oh - glad you enjoyed your recent trip and that your setup was a success!

You had me down as a damsel?
Darling, I'm the wolf.
Joannadannna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 12:42 AM   #46
Rivet Master

San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joannadannna View Post
Disagree Pteck. I’ve owned both and sold the eu2200is after getting the eu3000is. The larger unit is quieter and a lot easier to start; no ripcord to pull. Also I can add on a remote start if I wanted to the unit. The cord was often a PITA for me -especially during colder weather and at altitude.

The only downside to the eu3000is is inc price and heft/ bulk to store and relocate. I’m fortunate, mine resides in a specialized box which is housed in the truck bed. Also with an easystart add on, I’ve been told that it will run 2 AC units on reg mode.

All said, I’d repurchase the eu2200is if I could carry it on the TT bumper safety. And I’d pay an even higher premium if the unit had a key start and was capable of a remote.

Oh - glad you enjoyed your recent trip and that your setup was a success!
I'm glad the eu3000is works great for you. Honestly, based on your setup, it does sound like it's the better model for you. It's another benchmark Honda product. The eu2200i doesn't take away from that. I only say golden standard because I see far far more of these eu2000/eu2200 in campgrounds, than any other model.

I've rented and used an eu3000is before. That extra weight and bulk is deal breaker, or should I say back breaker for the way I use it, as I would have to manhandle to deploy it every time. Also consider that I devote zero extra space to the way I have mine setup. Like I said, my vehicle, an SUV, is dedicated to creature comforts. In my mind, dedicating premium real-estate in the vehicle for "garage" use is not for me. Which is why my AS gets the modifications to handle camper related duties.

I would take a big spoon of salt with whomever told you an eu3000i can run two A/C units. Each 13.5k or 15k BTU A/C takes 13-15 running amps. An Easystart only softens the compressor starts which can still be upwards of 16-20 momentary amps. If you consider an eu3000i can deliver it's full rating - 25 amps...yeah, 2 A/Cs are not going to happen. Though 2x eu2200's, with a combined potential of 4400W (36 amps) WILL do the job.
Old 09-25-2018, 10:23 AM   #47
3 Rivet Member

2018 23' Flying Cloud
Quote:

I've rented and used an eu3000is before. That extra weight and bulk is deal breaker, or should I say back breaker for the way I use it, as I would have to manhandle to deploy it every time.

You got me there - the 3000 is heavy and burdensome at times. As I mentioned I’d open the purse string if I could mount either a 2000 or 3000 to the bumper safely. Your setup looks great and meets your needs as does mine. But bumper housing and remote start is what curls these toes.

Darling, I'm the wolf.
Old 09-25-2018, 11:23 AM   #48
3 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Raleigh , NC
I like the idea of the EU2000i on the tongue. Is there any concern about it getting exposed to the rain and elements when you are towing? I have the Honda cover, but it does not seem very weatherproof.
JoeHTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 01:13 PM   #49
Rivet Master

San Diego , California
Quote:
But bumper housing and remote start is what curls these toes.
Wouldn't that be the bee's knees?

With some fabrication effort, I could see this as doable. Perhaps on the tongue even, if one were willing to sacrifice style, move a propane tank behind the other instead of side by side, freeing up space for the larger eu3000. Facing and routing exhaust would still be a bit tricky.
Old 09-25-2018, 01:22 PM   #50
Rivet Master

San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeHTP View Post
I like the idea of the EU2000i on the tongue. Is there any concern about it getting exposed to the rain and elements when you are towing? I have the Honda cover, but it does not seem very weatherproof.
I'm not particularly concerned with how robust the Honda is built. Many contractors carry and use these daily in the elements. Storing in the truck bed. Lasting decades.

The Honda OEM cover is waterproof vinyl and very snug. Water ingress from above seems a non-issue. My tray is large enough to prevent spray from below. On the road, forward spray is blocked by the propane tank.

One nicety of where it's located is when at camp, by opening the forward window protector, it makes an awning for which the genny would be sheilded from rain.
Old 09-25-2018, 02:56 PM   #51
3 Rivet Member

2018 23' Flying Cloud
Honda Generator on Tongue

Pteck don’t worry about the rain and throw back with your gen. I used my EU2000i when I had my beloved NorthernLite truckcamper stored off the back on an aluminum rack with cable holes everywhere. Road spray, heavy snow and rain assaulted it daily. Only problem I had was the pulley and tweaking air mixture at higher altitudes. Honda makes some mean gennys !

Oh I also carried an extension gas tank and used a simple snake lock on them. No one ever messed with the setup despite being uncovered.

Darling, I'm the wolf.
Old 09-26-2018, 05:20 AM   #52
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Quote:
You got me there - the 3000 is heavy and burdensome at times. As I mentioned I’d open the purse string if I could mount either a 2000 or 3000 to the bumper safely. Your setup looks great and meets your needs as does mine. But bumper housing and remote start is what curls these toes.

Putting a genny on the rear bumper would scare me for a couple of reasons. First, Airstream frames aren’t engineered to handle something like that, and it could damage the trailer. Second, all that weight out back beyond the bumper could easily contribute to trailer sway events as one travels down the road. If it weren’t for these issues, I’d love the idea, too.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 10:06 AM   #53
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
so how much width do you need to fit the genny in that space? I mean the space between the propane tanks and the front wall of the trailer. I'm thinking there isn't enough room on my (old) trailer.
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 11:00 AM   #54
TetonStreamer

2021 27' Flying Cloud
Delaplane , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by troubadour1 View Post
Are you going to run it off the tray? That will create a lot of vibration in your unit not to mention proximity to carbon monoxide and heat, the generators need a certain amount of space also if you read the manual.

Curious to hear others thoughts on this

Had that exact same design on my FC 20FB for three years, works like a charm. The carrying device provides shock dampeners for the generator so there is no sign of vibration while in the trailer. Never had any problem with CO/exhaust although I was running mine off the propane tanks.

Great addition for boondocking which is our primary choice when traveling.
Old 05-29-2019, 11:22 AM   #55
The Warthog

2019 28' Flying Cloud
Spearfish , All over
Excellent idea. It looks like your battery tray is flush with the top of you A-Frame. I have a 2019 with the extended height (for the 6v Golf Cart Batteries) that extends above the A-Frame. The trick for me will be to account for that for my mount.

Thanks for posting this, I have another long term project to plan out now.
GSansoucie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 12:02 PM   #56
Rivet Master

San Diego , California
Thank you. This setup has worked well in the past year and I'm completely happy with it. Still haven't gotten around to enclose the space with panels off the propane tank, but that's a non-functional project I'd like to do in the next year. Perhaps add a generator input at the front too.

GSansoucie, space is pretty close so the taller battery box might be an issue. I have 6V batts in my box too but I've extended my box downwards.

You can buy probably get .5-1" of additional room by moving the propane tank a bit forward so it sits tighter against the tongue jack.
Old 05-29-2019, 03:43 PM   #57
The Warthog

2019 28' Flying Cloud
Spearfish , All over
Quote:

GSansoucie, space is pretty close so the taller battery box might be an issue. I have 6V batts in my box too but I've extended my box downwards.

You can buy probably get .5-1" of additional room by moving the propane tank a bit forward so it sits tighter against the tongue jack.
Thanks for point that out. I am actually OK with just storing the generator there, vs storing it in the bed of the truck. At the moment, I've held off on the Easy Start because I couldn't get an EU2200i after the recall.
GSansoucie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 07:08 AM   #58
2 Rivet Member

2019 30' Classic
Saint Louis , MO
Love this! Can't wait to get deeper in your threads!
JeffRadford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 11:13 AM   #59
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by troubadour1 View Post
Are you going to run it off the tray? That will create a lot of vibration in your unit not to mention proximity to carbon monoxide and heat, the generators need a certain amount of space also if you read the manual.

Curious to hear others thoughts on this
I can't imagine running the generator while it is in that storage position. My list of concerns is long.
dhroberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 12:27 PM   #60
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Thank you. This setup has worked well in the past year and I'm completely happy with it.
. . .
Sorry if I missed this . . . but did you check the tongue weight with the added gen, and the trailer loaded and ready to go?
[vs. AS and tow vehicle specs]

Thanks,
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote