Old 05-29-2008, 06:14 PM   #1
Be Not Afraid JMJ + AMDG
2008 25' Safari
Quiet Green , Connecticut
Honda gen to charge batteries

I hope you will forgive this newbie question - I get VERY nervous around electricity/power, etc. Have been reading the forums for two days now to make sure I know what I am doing, but still do not feel confident!

Have two new Honda EU2000 gensets w/parallel setup on order. Also got the cable to hook one genset directly up to a battery to charge. This is where my question comes in.

Do I simply hook the battery up to a generator using the battery charge cable and turn on the generator to charge the battery? My two batteries are just about dead. Just do one and then the other? I know it is unwise to drop the batteries below 50% for longterm battery life, but a miscommunication and fear of hooking trailer up to house power (no 30A plug installed yet) led to this.

If yes, how long do you think it will take to charge each battery? I have the kind that need periodic distilled water added and don't want to wreck them too early

We greatly appreciate any experienced folks who can guide us!

Thank you

"Color delights my spirit"
Roamin Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 06:24 PM   #2
. , .
hi cat....

it's very simple...

imagine plugging the trailer in at an rv park using the 30 amp cord...

just start a genset and plug in the trailer 30 amp cord using a 30 amp to 15/20 (household) 3 prong adapter...

and BOTH batteriers will charge at the same time.

the a/s charger/converter WILL recharge the batteries.

how long will it take?

depends on how deeply they are discharged.

2-3 hours will get them to 80% or so and 5-6 hours will FULLY charge both...

if there are no other loads on the generator.

DON'T use the 12v battery cable directly from the genset to an rv battery...

this item is primarily for recharging (think jump start) the AUTOMOBILE/TRUCK battery...

it is NOT a great idea to use it for the deep cycle rv batteries AND it isn't a faster way to juice them...

all of the true things that i am about to tell you are shameless lies. l.b.j.

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 06:30 PM   #3
Site Team
1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
The preferred method of charging your batteries is by plugging into the shore power line and letting the trailers converter charge them. The 12 volt output of the Honda is not regulated and can damage the batteries. One EU2000 has more then enough output to do this. You will need an adapter to connect the 30 amp RV plug to your generator. You can get these an any RV store and even Wall mart has them.

WBCCI President 2016-2017
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 06:54 PM   #4

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida

You can easily charge your batteries on a 20 amp circuit at your house. You can run everything in the trailer on a 20 amp house circuit with a plug adapter. You just can run the air conditioner or heat pump until you get a 30 amp circuit installed at your house.

SuEllyn & Brian McCabe
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2011 Silverado 3500 (Fred) with Outfitter Truck Camper (Ethel)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 07:15 AM   #5
Be Not Afraid JMJ + AMDG
2008 25' Safari
Quiet Green , Connecticut
Talking thank you!!! and ...

Thank you VERY much 2air', Richard and Brian! You guys are the best

Unfortunately the guy who sold me the gensets was the one who told me I needed the adaptor (which will come in handy someday for someone's auto battery!), but when reading the manual we thought it not for RV batteries. I've heard this before from 2air' - do not believe the salespeople without doing your own research!

* Can we run the genset in EcoMode whilst recharging the batteries? We did drain them near completely, so it will take a while to recharge.

* Also, when hooking up to non-30A home power, I need a 50ft power cord. Do I need to buy a 50ft, or can I hook two 25ft cords together?

Thank you again, for your knowledge, your kindness and your patience!

"Color delights my spirit"
Roamin Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 07:29 AM   #6
Site Team
1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
Run the generator in Eco mode, if it needs more RPM's it will adjust for the need. When I charge my battery with my EU1000i it is at a slow idle.

My cord is about 10 feet too short when I park at home. I use one of these extension cords to make up the difference: Heavy-duty 30 Amp 10/3 STW Cords - Camping World

WBCCI President 2016-2017
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 08:43 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member
2004 19' Bambi
Denver , Colorado
My experience and a question ...

Hi all,

I was in a similar situation at the start of this season with my batt's down to just 6 volts each (plug disconnected at the indoor storage unit without my knowledge over the winter). When I got the trailer home in preparation for my first trip this year I had no 12v so I plugged into 20amp service at the house to charge. 48 hours later my batt's were still at 6 volts each and obviusouly not charging. I disconnected the power leads to the trailer and charged the batteries with a battery charger and they recovered back to 10.5 volts in about 6 hours on a 2-10 amp charge. After that I disconnected the battery charger and reconnected the power leads to the trailer, plugged back in to 20amp house service and they completed their charge normally up to about 12.8 volts. My question is, is there a minimum standing battery voltage required for the trailer's converter to deliver a charge? Once the batteries were over 10 volts it charged them fine but did nothing when they were at 6 volts. Has anyone else experienced this?

BTW, batt's are 2 year old Optima blue top AGM, batt disconnect switch was "on" (trailer had interior power to all lights, etc...) and connections were not loose or corroded. Thoughts???

COLORADO_CAMPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 09:29 AM   #8

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Its gonna take longer than 6 or 7 hours to fully recharge the battery, with the stock airstream charger/ least, according to intellipower. Battery charging happens slowly.

I think Brian (moosetags) meant to say that you can't run the a/c without being plugged into a 30 amp plug....
(but actually, you CAN...but it depends on how long and how heavy your extension cord is, and how much other stuff you're running in the trailer.).

50 feet of "30 amp rated" cable from CW is going to be quite expensive. 50' of 12/2 from Home Depot is cheap...and perfectly adequate, as long as you're not running the a/c.

Wbcci: 3752
'73 Safari 23'
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote