Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-07-2014, 01:08 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
I think on the specs its said to go 6 hours at rated load (5.1 gallon tank), 18 hours at 1/4 load.

Even in hot summer in my 30 footer this year, over night both do not run at the same time....but if just arriving to a spot, both will run for a bit of time to get it cold quick...

But for mid-day relief with kids both will need to run....and I have some boondocking planned up in north east alabama around the region of mentone and little river canyon etc...also a buddy of mine has a river side property over west of Tuscaloosa on the black warrior river that I plan to dry camp on a bit as well and this will let us all camp and have plenty of power.

The EU 7000 will also fully service my camper when parked at home when family visit as a guest house and this will prevent me from paying $$$ for 50amp hookup (albeit the 50amp hookup would be really nice). It will also be my power outage workhorse for my main fridge/freezer, and my large standup freezer as well...and some lights and a TV (LED).

My Truck is only driven 99% of the time for towing only, the generator will stay in the truck and the truck is parked in my garage...

The biggest bummer for this possible purchase for me is that I would lose my ability for the most part to use my roll-n-lock bed cover.

Ill mull over such questions through January it seems.

The two honda 2000’s still tempt me....ill continue to think about it

Other benefits it seems is that soon they will offer a remote start option....also it will be able to run other honda gen’s in parallel...

I am not sure if I could one day rent one and try it on a trip and how costly that would be...but will look into that as well.

And if one AC runs, in talking to two owners of 6500’s, its very quiet.

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 04:38 PM   #22
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
My first RV, a 1998 Monaco Dynasty 40' diesel pusher, had a 7500 watt Onan Quiet Diesel generator. It had no problem running both roof A/C units and the microwave simultaneously. IIRC, it had tandem 30 amp circuits leading into the 50 amp automatic transfer switch.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 07:11 PM   #23
Leavingtherut.com

2005 30' Safari
Key Largo , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmGeek View Post
I think on the specs its said to go 6 hours at rated load (5.1 gallon tank), 18 hours at 1/4 load.

Even in hot summer in my 30 footer this year, over night both do not run at the same time....but if just arriving to a spot, both will run for a bit of time to get it cold quick...

But for mid-day relief with kids both will need to run....and I have some boondocking planned up in north east alabama around the region of mentone and little river canyon etc...also a buddy of mine has a river side property over west of Tuscaloosa on the black warrior river that I plan to dry camp on a bit as well and this will let us all camp and have plenty of power.

The EU 7000 will also fully service my camper when parked at home when family visit as a guest house and this will prevent me from paying $$$ for 50amp hookup (albeit the 50amp hookup would be really nice). It will also be my power outage workhorse for my main fridge/freezer, and my large standup freezer as well...and some lights and a TV (LED).

My Truck is only driven 99% of the time for towing only, the generator will stay in the truck and the truck is parked in my garage...

The biggest bummer for this possible purchase for me is that I would lose my ability for the most part to use my roll-n-lock bed cover.

Ill mull over such questions through January it seems.

The two honda 2000’s still tempt me....ill continue to think about it

Other benefits it seems is that soon they will offer a remote start option....also it will be able to run other honda gen’s in parallel...

I am not sure if I could one day rent one and try it on a trip and how costly that would be...but will look into that as well.

And if one AC runs, in talking to two owners of 6500’s, its very quiet.

I have loved my 2000's, but If I did it all over again, I would stick with a large single generator. I plan on doing the same as you and keeping it in the truck full time, however I have no lock and roll, so that will kinda be a bummer for you... For the 50 amp plug for the house, you can buy a nice 50 amp plug with waterproof enclosure for under $30 from Home Depot.

http://t.homedepot.com/p/GE-50-Amp-T...54P/100193650/

The electrical work and breaker should be very affordable (I installed my own plug in under an hour). We keep our bunkhouse powered at the house at all times, it is great as the fridge keeps cold, we can keep it stocked with things like condiments and beer, the ac always runs (and dehumidifier) keeps the interior mold free. Also makes a great man room, I would highly recommend!
Old 09-07-2014, 09:17 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
I run 15 amp cord - keep dehumidifier running - not AC

I turn on Fridge 2 days before planned trip

My trailer is like 100+ feet from breaker box - I'm not electrically inclined and I think the quote I got was like 1800 bucks

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

Old 09-07-2014, 09:23 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
I'm not too worried about the roll n lock - it came with the truck when I bought from Carmax - I like it but often cannot use due to bikes coming along - not much would change -

Good luck

I'll be interested if you go to the single before me and your feedback

Old 11-14-2014, 06:29 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

2015 30' International
Springdale , Arkansas
PharmGeek,
I have essentially the same set up as you. International 30' with two ACs. Thinking of buying the EU7000. Was going to put it in the bed of my truck, but also have the roll & lock. Was thinking of putting it against the tailgate, then a rubbermain tub over it and then slide the roll & lock up against. I'd at least keep water directly out of the inverter while driving around, and people easily seeing it. Then uncover and run it as needed. Loose ability to store and lock other gear. What did you end up doing?
BlueMesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 06:52 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
I own the EU6500 and wired into my house with a manual transfer switch. The house is 4000sf and the generator runs everything, the boiler, pellet stove, 2 refrigerators, lights and computers.

It is louder then my 2000, but much deeper tone. One thing however, it's a tank. Not at all easy to lift into a truck bed. Two 2000s would seem way easier to move around.
Ted S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 03:10 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueMesa View Post
PharmGeek,
I have essentially the same set up as you. International 30' with two ACs. Thinking of buying the EU7000. Was going to put it in the bed of my truck, but also have the roll & lock. Was thinking of putting it against the tailgate, then a rubbermain tub over it and then slide the roll & lock up against. I'd at least keep water directly out of the inverter while driving around, and people easily seeing it. Then uncover and run it as needed. Loose ability to store and lock other gear. What did you end up doing?

Bought the EU7000

Doubles for confident home backup and for my future property use

I need to post some photos - got my idea from another user on here - bought a hitch with no ball - welded a piece of heavy plate steel to it - drilled 4 holes to match a harbor freight small loading crane - also needed an 18 inch hitch extender to clear the tailgate

I used a piece of 4x4 as a stuff leg under he hitch for additional quick support (although not necessary I believe and I've do e it with both)

Also had the lift kit thing for the generator that allows attachment and lift

I go boondocking (at this point) infrequent so occasional loading is no biggie

I load it up (I can do it alone no prob) and once I load it I leave it - I don't bother with roll n lock and I don't really want a topper - nothing I put back there can be harmed getting wet

I bought the honda cover for it - fits very snug and protects from water and such -
If it rains I will run it in the rain

I plan on later getting the remote start once we get our property later (3-5 years)

I strap it in with a few ratchet straps to keep it steady in transit

We love it so far - really quiet - easy operation - next year I will tell you how it does in hot summer but it has 5.1 gallon tank and at 1/4 load says it can go 18 hours

I watched the panel read wattage as AC unit compressors kicked on - jumped up to like 3800 watts if I recall and that includes I believe background 700 watts before turning the AC on (from converter I assume?)

We are really happy as we have had some annoying times with power outages here in bama - no more - and even in hot summer we can retreat to the AS with our family and stay comfy

Security : use a bicycle lock - also lock the tailgate - insurance beyond that covers me - it would take some special thieves to rob me of that unit with the tailgate locked!!

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1416175836.193212.jpg
Views:	962
Size:	1.04 MB
ID:	226693

Old 11-16-2014, 03:15 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
I need to photograph the lift setup I have later - took a few snaps and lost them it seems - it takes me maybe 15 minutes to load up - I leave the hitch and crane at home

Old 11-16-2014, 03:16 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1416176151.311849.jpg
Views:	462
Size:	597.1 KB
ID:	226694

Made first boondocking experience real easy

Old 11-16-2014, 06:04 PM   #31
Leavingtherut.com

2005 30' Safari
Key Largo , Florida
Awesome post!! Thanks for the update, I love the lift idea! We are juggling between buying a used cummins onan 7.5 quiet diesel and permanently installing in the truck or the EU7000. Right now the EU is winning, seems to make a lot more sense and have a lot more utility to it. The rig looks great!!!
Old 11-16-2014, 07:15 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
Hey I joined this Forum thinking you guys were hardcore living unplugged while boondocking in areas not frequented by humans, now you are dragging home standby generators with you?

Just kidding.

I don't even have my Airstream yet, all I got is a stinking VIN #.
Ted S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 05:01 AM   #33
2 Rivet Member

2015 30' International
Springdale , Arkansas
Pharmgeek
Thanks for the reply. Very good update. Think I'll go this route.
Can two guys load without the crane?
On remote I plan to get this one:
http://www.pinellaspowerproducts.com...HEUREMOTEKIT7/
It is wireless to 400ft, turns computer in gen off/on to minimize battery drain, turns Eco mode on and off, and will turn an outlet on gen on&off.
BlueMesa
Old 11-17-2014, 06:31 AM   #34
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
For a few beers I would help you with the 50A service. The hard part is finding a way to run wires from the fuse box so the power company does not see. The main expense is the wire itself.

Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmGeek View Post
I am going to buy the eu7000 and use it for home use and for travel need

I have not 100% decided but I will want the option to boondock in hot summer

It's big and heavy and for loading and unloading I've spoken now with 3 owners that use one of those harbor freight lifts to load and unload but mostly

With it - I will also avoid the need to pay an electrician to put in 50amp service which turns out mucho pricey

We shall see - I may still buy the 2 x 2000's but the eu7000 will do all home needs and let me use my trailer at home for company in summer and have enough juice no prob

perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 06:33 AM   #35
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
The diesel is going to be better if the generator is likely to sit a long time between uses. Ethanol really cuts down on the storage life of gasoline.

Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by TavnAsh View Post
Awesome post!! Thanks for the update, I love the lift idea! We are juggling between buying a used cummins onan 7.5 quiet diesel and permanently installing in the truck or the EU7000. Right now the EU is winning, seems to make a lot more sense and have a lot more utility to it. The rig looks great!!!
Old 11-17-2014, 06:34 AM   #36
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Yeah - the wire alone I bet is much expensive to reach some 100 feet for 50amp

Nah - I can for the rare occasion (2-3 times a year) just use my generator and boondock in backyard and save the headache

My brother is an electrician and is however going to install a transfer switch for me soon and a receptacle outside the garage for easy generator use in the event of an outage

Old 11-18-2014, 07:25 PM   #37
2 Rivet Member

2015 30' International
Springdale , Arkansas
PharmGeek,
So which outlet are you using on the EU7000?
The 4 pole?
Do you set the switch to 120v or 240v?
Thanks
BlueMesa
Old 11-18-2014, 07:26 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
240 yeah - 4 pole - bought an adapter to fit my 50amp plug

Old 11-19-2014, 05:59 AM   #39
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Sounds like a good setup. You think the neighbors will complain about the noise of the generator running at home or is it that quiet?

Perry
Old 11-19-2014, 11:08 AM   #40
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Ya know what I haven't done - is run the unit and see if I can hear it while inside with my hvac off - I'll check soon

I'm highly doubting it but possible...