Old 10-15-2008, 05:52 PM   #15

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Break-in, fill with gas, ck oil and pull the cord.
Our 2000i started life with 10-30 dinosaur oil, changed at 10hrs to 10-30 Mobil1. No problems at all, converted to LPG & petrol dual mode last season. A lot cleaner, less exhaust smell, and runs cooler.

AF #1

"Sticks & stones can break your bones...and hail will dent your Airstream"

So when is this..."old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 06:00 PM   #16
Well Preserved

1974 31' Sovereign
1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
The 10W30 is to make the generator easier to start, use less fuel while running, and be thin enough to splash around to lube everything.
Maybe next time you order some "stuff" from North America, you can talk them into tossing a gallon jug of 10W30 into the box to ship to you.

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.
overlander63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 06:39 PM   #17
Rivet Master
1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
Cape Wrath
What ever the owners manual says DO IT. No break in is required of today's small engines.
I find for today's small engines, the Engines worst enemy is the OWNER.
Neglect is the culprit.
If the owners manual say's Change oil at 25 hrs runtime DO IT or take it to a Small Engine Tech and have it done.
I have had to pass along bad news to 3 owners this yr that their gensets were destroyed from lack of service.
Clean Oil, CLEAN AIR (changing air filters regular) and Clean and Fresh Fuel and essential to long life.
Read that manual and follow religiously.
Trust me Im in my 25th yr as a small engine tech
Good Luck with your new toy
Roger & MaryLou
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 07:58 PM   #18
Rivet Master
1999 23' Safari
Perrysburg , Ann Arbor
Mike's (Roger's) got that right. I used to represent an engine manufacturer, and they had a zillion engineers who all day long ran engines to destruction and tested all sorts of lubrication regimes. They actually KNOW what their engines like, and they KNOW what casuses 'em to fail. The recommendations in their manuals are totally fact-based and data driven.

And the received wisdom for air cooled engines is to run plain old dino oil for some hours until the rings wear in properly, and some load is required after the first few minutes of running, or the cylinder pressures won't get high enough to keep the rings seated and wearing in the cylinder walls to their eventual shape. I always run in my air cooled engines for a few hours at a light but increasing load and then change oil after 5 - 10 hours' operation to remove (as someone noted earlier) any manufacturing shavings, the abraded cylinder wall material, etc. that wound up in the oil. Then I eventually, after a few dozen hours' use, change to synthetic, as I think it just lubricates better.

One caveat: if you go synthetic, it's a good idea when starting your engine after a long period of non-use, to pull it through several times before actually starting it. There's a substantial body of evidence (gleaned through aircraft reciprocating engine failures) that synthetic is so slippery that during long periods of sitting, it actually (unlike Dino oil) all drains out of bearings, etc. to crankcase. Pulling it through a few times gets a little oil splashed up on crank and sleeve bearings and cylinder walls and avoids most start-up wear.

But DO change it per factory specs., and DO keep fresh fuel in it and a clean air filter and it'll run a LONG time. At today's engine prices, that's important.
AirsDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 11:19 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Fill it with oil and gas and run it.

Hi, Just fill it with oil and gas and run it. When was the last time you were told to break in any engine? Fourty years ago or more? I have a Yamaha generator, but that makes no differrence. I put oil in it, gas in it, and started it. I let it run for about ten minutes as is. Then I plugged a 500 watt light into it and let it run another ten minutes. No problems; So it was ready for my first use in New Mexico for four days. Note: I did run the air conditioner on my trailer with my generator for about an hour, just to see how it handled the load. Run the oil the factory says to use. Too high of viscosity of oil has been known to blow off oil filters and strip/break oil pump drives on cars. The clearances of the engine usually determine the oil thickness. [Viscosity]

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 05:49 PM   #20
1 Rivet Member
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Cambridge , None U.S.
Thanks for that people - all good stuff. I've found some 10w30 mineral oil from a 'net seller - hopefully it's alright. Obviously not flavour of the month on the high stree, nowadays.
Thanks again.

Cape Wrath is offline   Reply With Quote