Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-19-2018, 09:57 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Driftless Area , Wisconsin
Honda EU2200i vs 3000i on propane

Hi. I've had a Honda 2000 gas generator for years and it's been solid and reliable. I want to keep that generator where it is as a gas model and get a propane-converted one I can dedicate for RV use (I don't want to travel with gasoline in the vehicle).

My question has to do with capacity. My Globetrotter 27 with 2 AC units, on order, will have EZ-starts on both ACs. Because they have EZ-starts, I know that I can start and run one of them (not sure which one) with a 2200.

What would the 3000 allow me to do? Run both ACs? Use other things (microwave, other circuits, etc.) while the AC is running? I like the remote start option for the 3000 but like the size of the 2200. The weight factor isn't much of an issue since this will pretty much live in the pickup bed. If there are substantive everyday functional benefits to the 3000 I'd just as soon get that, since I'm buying new anyway. But if it's just extra margin that I might use someday for something, I'll stick with the smaller generator.

In the end I'm planning on using the generator for topping off the batteries when necessary and for running at least one AC when necessary. If the larger generator allows me to use the microwave or both ACs on top of that, that has some value to me, since we intend to boondock often for a few days at a time.
nryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 10:23 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 27' International CCD FB
San Diego , California
Most A/C units pull about 13-15 running amps after compressor start. The eu2200i is capable to the full 18.3 amps full bore, leaving you about 5 amps margin for extraneous devices. Not bad, but not enough to bear any additional heavy draw devices. Also consider that a propane conversion may impact output mildly.

The eu3000i won't make enough margin to run the second A/C, but it will handle heavy draw devices beyond 1 A/C, unless you catch it during compressor startup.

Another option you haven't mentioned is to run 2x eu2200i generators in parallel. You wouldn't get a nice auto-start, but this pair would give you capacity to do whatever you like, making a full ~4400W output. Run both A/Cs, and whatever heavy draw devices beyond that even. Unless it's the rare case that both A/Cs compressors start at the same instant your using the microwave. But the Easystart will mitigate that just fine and the compressor start will try again in 5 minutes.

2x eu2200i are a lighter combination, easier to handle singly. And perhaps just might be the ticket you're looking for?!
pteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 10:30 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 27' International CCD FB
San Diego , California
Perhaps another exotic and much pricier option if you're looking to also upgrade your batts/solar/inverter system.

There are setups using a hybrid inverter that will allow mixing of battery and generator output, to support whatever load. In these cases, a single EU2200i can be enabled to handle a single A/C plus another heavy draw load, as the battery can "fill-in" the additional output.

Depending on the battery bank capacity and solar output, a single eu2200i may even be enough to support both A/C units, if you allow the eu2200i to run full tilt constantly, and accept a heavy draw on the batts. Which would require the generator to be running even longer into the evening to replenish the batts. An eu2200i may be marginal in this use case, but a eu3000i would be able to handle the heavy lifting.
pteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 10:44 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
I'm pretty certain I'll upgrade the solar infrastructure at some point. It seems really easy to geek out on that for now so I'm sticking with factory solar to begin with, possibly upgrading the batteries to AGM before delivery.

In a year or three I'll know a lot more about what I want out of solar and be able to spec a system that meets those needs (solar will only be better by then anyway). For now I'll stick with generator and factory solar, which is already 1000% more than I have (other than a boondocking test run with a friend in his RV, which has neither solar nor generator, I've only camped in tents...)
Old 09-19-2018, 10:48 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
I've looked at the 2-generator packages. I'd rather go with one unit (I've read and understand the logic in having 2, but in the interest of keeping things simple...).

Do most of you lug the generator out of the TV and place it near the AS or do you just run cords from the AS to the generator (leaving it in the truck)? I assumed the latter.
Old 09-19-2018, 10:51 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Are you interested in converting the 2200's to propane? My friend did this recently with his Honda2200 with Genconnex...he had the Honda shipped for free, from campers world to them, they did the conversion in a couple days, and shipped "free" to his home in northern CA...I agree with Ptek that 2 of these size units are easier to move around than the 3000 or larger units, plus will drive both your AC's with the Easystarts installed. You may have seen my post that I tried his converted Honda 2200 recently at 6k feet in Banff, and it started my 13500 just fine, cycled it a few times and ran for at least 5 minuets...I do not have the Easystart, but I would likely install these also if I was getting the smaller gen's.

I have the Champion Dual Fuel, which I use with propane; works great...but it is a bit heavy at 95lbs...may change to the Honda's next summer, but I surely will get the propane conversion if/when I do switch.
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 02:49 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
@gypsydad--I did see your post about the 2200 test near Banff. I think that whatever generator I end up choosing, I'll probably just going to order it "preconverted" from Genconnex. And I don't need to do that until Spring. Just creating my shopping lists now.

Also, @pteck, I forgot to mention--I noticed your comment about those smart inverters that can distribute higher loads across multiple sources. I've read posts about that here and am following them, but I suspect I'll leave that kind of sophistication for a future overhaul. It's very cool (and will probably only get better...).
Old 09-19-2018, 04:14 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Remote start with a Honda EU3000is? Not mine.
Key start, yes.
You have to pull the choke and push it in, so the remote start isn't there.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 04:42 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
Remote start with a Honda EU3000is? Not mine.
Key start, yes.
You have to pull the choke and push it in, so the remote start isn't there.
There are a couple aftermarket kits for remote starting the Honda EU3000is. They take care of the choke and the key.
Old 09-20-2018, 09:59 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narayan View Post
There are a couple aftermarket kits for remote starting the Honda EU3000is. They take care of the choke and the key.
Just a comment if your looking at the Honda 3000; lots of $$ compared to the Dual Fuel Champion, at $850~ and the Dual Fuel has electric start, runs propane or gas, and has similar specs of the Honda for noise and weight for 1/2 the price. I love the performance of my Dual Fuel after having it a year now, but if I don't need AC, I still will use my Champion 2000 I purchased couple years ago...it weighs less, starts easy, does the job, and was only $450....

Doing it all over, I would likely follow your thinking and get 2 Honda 2200's, converted to propane and the Easystarts...it's only money! Electric start is not even a necessity with these new generators...they all start with a little pull on first or second try....just saying...
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
Old 09-20-2018, 01:08 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
La Pine , Oregon
As far as I know, propane conversion will reduce the output of any generator.

I have the Honda 3000is and a dual fuel propane/gas generator. The continuos rated output for the dual fuel generator using gas is 8,000 watts, for propane it's 6,800 watts. You might want to check to see what kind of hit the propane conversion will entail re: power output for any of the Honda generators. I don't know if Genconnex has this information available on their web site.

I'm currently boondocking on my Honda 3000. I don't have the Microairs and the Honda starts and runs the AC with no issues (as long as I don't have the eco mode engaged). However, it trips if the AC is on and I mistakenly run the microwave. If the eco mode is engaged, the generator typically trips the first time the compressor starts up.
andyherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 01:56 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
I bought a Honda EU3000is because I'd seen them at work and knew how reliable they were.
If I was starting over, AND wanted to run on propane (I don't) I'd probably get the Champion 3500.

Or, if I had the room and cash, I'd get a Honda 7000 and not ration.
Old 09-21-2018, 09:03 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyherman View Post
As far as I know, propane conversion will reduce the output of any generator.

I have the Honda 3000is and a dual fuel propane/gas generator. The continuos rated output for the dual fuel generator using gas is 8,000 watts, for propane it's 6,800 watts. You might want to check to see what kind of hit the propane conversion will entail re: power output for any of the Honda generators. I don't know if Genconnex has this information available on their web site.

I'm currently boondocking on my Honda 3000. I don't have the Microairs and the Honda starts and runs the AC with no issues (as long as I don't have the eco mode engaged). However, it trips if the AC is on and I mistakenly run the microwave. If the eco mode is engaged, the generator typically trips the first time the compressor starts up.
Not sure how much I loose with propane, but the 3400 Champion Dual Fuel runs fine with one AC, even if I run the microwave. It automatically revs up when extra load is applied as needed. There are some posts about loss of power with propane conversion here on the Forum, and I believe there are some tables also...I like the performance of the Dual Fuel with propane. Only issue, as many of us who are using larger Generators is, weight...loading/unloading is a pain if you do it often. couple of 2000's or 2200's would be nice, plus if you only need the 13500 AC, one 2200 may be fine....still like the propane fuel source the best for my use.
Old 09-22-2018, 06:09 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
I’ve seen a few posts from people who run their generators in their truck beds. So I guess I wonder why does the weight of a unit matter? I imagine it would be a lot easier to run a cable than to move any of these units (including the smaller Hondas).

In any case I’ve heard great things about the Champion and I’ll go check them out. But I’ve had my Honda 2000 for about 9 years and think it’s the bees knees, so I have no reason to venture far from that brand. I think I’ll start with a converted 2200 and see how that goes; I guess I can always add a second if I really need it down the line (say if I head south in the summer, which is unlikely).

I will only run it when it’s warm and I need AC or if conditions don’t allow solar charging of the batteries. In any case next summer I’m heading north, not south.

Thanks as always folks!
Old 09-22-2018, 06:53 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Just a note: Hutch Mountain makes a propane conversion that allows you to run both fuels. I recently converted my Honda 2200i(30 minutes and very easy) and it works beautifully.

https://hutchmountain.com/products.h...131/category=0

Also for remote start generators running on propane, you do not need to choke the engine. Propane does not require the choke.

x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\101970\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\/x\x/x\x/x
Tom & Doty
2019 Airstream Classic 30 Twin
turk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 08:20 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
I’ve seen a few posts from people who run their generators in their truck beds. So I guess I wonder why does the weight of a unit matter?
I'm one of those people.
It only matters in two respects. First, adding weight to the gross vehicle weight which may be more than approved. (and gas cans too)
Secondly, taking it in and out. I solved this by buying a Harbor Freight hydraulic table when I had a 20% coupon. It lives on the table, low position, while in the garage. When I want it in the truck, I roll it out, pump it up and scootch the generator in.
(1000# unit because it goes high enough)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image_22068.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	20.7 KB
ID:	323299  
Old 09-23-2018, 12:29 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
I’ve seen a few posts from people who run their generators in their truck beds. So I guess I wonder why does the weight of a unit matter? I imagine it would be a lot easier to run a cable than to move any of these units (including the smaller Hondas).

In any case I’ve heard great things about the Champion and I’ll go check them out. But I’ve had my Honda 2000 for about 9 years and think it’s the bees knees, so I have no reason to venture far from that brand. I think I’ll start with a converted 2200 and see how that goes; I guess I can always add a second if I really need it down the line (say if I head south in the summer, which is unlikely).

I will only run it when it’s warm and I need AC or if conditions don’t allow solar charging of the batteries. In any case next summer I’m heading north, not south.

Thanks as always folks!
For me with the heavier Dual Fuel at 95lbs, I can run in the bed or if I am staying 3 days or longer and want to position it away from the AS while running, I will unload it. Really depends on your camping situation. Sometimes I am at a park like Glacier where we are boondocking...I can/do leave in the back of the truck sometimes, but I have also removed and relocated so the exhaust noise is behind the trailer facing the bushes when running for long periods of time...this goes for either the 2000 Champion or the 3400 Dual Fuel, which is heavier of course. Sometimes the surrounding area where you camp can be somewhat "enclosed" and the sound/noise can be louder due to the terrain and vegetation/trees... Taking the 45lb unit out of the truck is not an issue, and I can still lift the Duel Fuel (95lbs) in/out if I need to, but it is surely easier to leave in...all about the noise reflection mostly which determines what I end up doing. Here at Capital Reef last week, no noise issues of any kind, so left in the truck....could have used solar for sure, but we were away all day, so the generator came in handy for using the AC to cool down and also baking potatoes in microwave...

I will say, I am sorry all the parks do not have a "noise" limit on these generators...several times this year I saw/heard, some folks with industrial type generators (cheap to purchase, no doubt) and that is a pain to listen too. Only good thing is there are typically only 2 hour intervals in Glacier Park they can run these during the day...each park seems to have it's own rules and usage times...wish they had a designation with DB's which all of the parks agreed to. wishful thinking...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capital Reef.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	347.3 KB
ID:	323438  
Old 09-23-2018, 12:34 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Providence , Senior Electrical Engineer
Quote:
My question has to do with capacity. My Globetrotter 27 with 2 AC units, on order, will have EZ-starts on both ACs. Because they have EZ-starts, I know that I can start and run one of them (not sure which one) with a 2200.
You said it's on order, so did the factory put the ez starts in? Is that an option when you order new?

We are ordering in Feb and if it's an option, I want to be able to order ours the same way if possible....

Let me know?

TY.

Chris
kittmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 12:50 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittmaster View Post
You said it's on order, so did the factory put the ez starts in? Is that an option when you order new?

We are ordering in Feb and if it's an option, I want to be able to order ours the same way if possible....
I’ve arranged with my dealer to install EZ-starts and do a number of other things before I pick up the trailer.
Old 09-23-2018, 02:08 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittmaster View Post

Let me know?

TY.

Chris
Usually, that's an option your dealer service guys can do, for a price of course. You can also contact MicroAir and Mateo may have some suggestions on installation if you want to do it yourself...not a game changer either way.